cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dinghy Towing SUV versus small vehicle

TripleClamp
Explorer
Explorer
Looking into towing a 4 down (dinghy) vehicle. Once at destination, would need to haul two 30-40 lbs
dogs around.

Is there a big difference in towing say a 3,300 pound vehicle versus a 4,800lb vehicle?
We have a 2014 GMC Acadia which can be flat towed with some disabling of some fuses. It has two
dog cages in the back. Our other small hatchback can't be flat towed and we don't want to dolly tow.
We were thinking of getting rid of the hatchback and getting another hatchback like a Ford Focus if
dinghy towing an SUV would be too much. We would lose obvious space as the back of the Focus
would be modified to contain the dogs.

Anyone tow a GMC Acadia or similar higher weight than these smaller toads. Thoughts/concerns? Thanks.

2011 (2010 chassis) Coachmen Freelander 32BH - E-450
2011 Coachmen Freelander 32BH
2013 Honda CRF450R
9 REPLIES 9

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like your Acadia, you might want to look at the GMC Terrain. Smaller, but still lots of room inside. Ours is right at 4000 lbs.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a big difference in towing say a 3,300 pound vehicle versus a 4,800lb vehicle?
I think it depends on what you are towing with. a massive DP, no, I certainly noticed differences among toads with my gassers.
bumpy

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Power wise probably not a big deal. You will feel it in curves and when braking unless you have a good proportional brake system.

But then again... You can probably almost drive a Focus for free when you factor in fuel savings, and how inexpensive a 1-year old Focus is. Plus the easy parking is a bonus. Especially in small sites where you have to park the car sideways to fit.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you from experience that the 6 or 8 hundred pounds extra between our Sidekick and our Grand Vitara creates a noticeable difference except when towing on level ground at a constant speed.

We live on a hill in L.A. and to go from our house to the bottom of the hill has several hundred feet of elevation change, a total of about 200 feet up and 700 feet down with some sharp curves. This requires both breaking and climbing and the difference between the two is very noticeable. The acceleration is easier with the V10 than the Chevy 454 but still requires a lot of gas pedal. The braking is also easier with the F53 than the P32 but noticeable. 1500 pounds will be quite noticeable.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
The V10 can certainly handle the extra weight of the Acadia, but you need to make sure the hitch and chassis framing on the motorhome can handle it. Some are rated for 5,000+ lbs, while others are only rated for 3,500 lbs. If yours is only rated for 3,500 lbs, it is most likely because the frame extension is a weak point. You should be able to have some supports welded in to beef up the extension so you can tow the extra weight.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my Cadillac SRX and on flat ground I really don't know it is back there, going up hills or mountains I do feel the drag. But we only tow about 3-4000 miles per year and having the nicer vehicle the rest of the time is worth it to us.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a Buick Enclave without problems. Might take a little longer to get rolling and might be slower going up those hills, but what's the hurry? That Ford V10 loves to rev and will pull about any grade at 50-55 mph if you want to burn the gas. Your hitch rating is likely 5000# so I wouldn't load too much in your towed. Love the extra room of the Enclave because we have dogs too.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

TripleClamp
Explorer
Explorer
Good point, other half is going to be doing this solo at times. Compactness would help.
2011 Coachmen Freelander 32BH
2013 Honda CRF450R

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm pretty sure you would not feel TOO much of a difference. On heavy grades perhaps. 1500 pounds is a lot, but still, 4 down.... Naturally I think the focus will be the better choice behind a C though just do to the compactness of the whole thing.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.