cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can a 10 year TIP be obtained for a truck camper rig?

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Holas all:

....can a 10 year TIP be gotten for a truck camper rig these days (FYI: we're not towing anything) ?

Cheers,
S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou
20 REPLIES 20

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
But they do take a picture of the rig the plate and the VIN tag when you return the sticker.

Moisheh

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Jin CO wrote:
Just reread Navegator's comments and didn't understand much of it. It really has been quite simple for us. Truck gets the 180 day permit. If we left the camper there they would never know. We do always get all the permits at the border and have never and will not attempt on line as plans are always subject to change.

....this is indeed interesting. You are pretty confident that the Mex authorities wouldn't notice if the camper was off-board while you drive the pick-up truck around? I imagine that the sticker issuer does not make a photo of the rig upon entry (as a reference) ? But I imagine that Mexico is not that sophisticated.....yet.

Thanks!
S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I got a 10 year on line one year, cancelled it on my way out. I know of 2 others going in every year with a 10 year permit. Its a grey area.

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
Just reread Navegator's comments and didn't understand much of it. It really has been quite simple for us. Truck gets the 180 day permit. If we left the camper there they would never know. We do always get all the permits at the border and have never and will not attempt on line as plans are always subject to change.

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
We have always had a truck camper. The truck always gets the 6 month sticker on the windshield and is removed by them when we cancel the permit upon leaving the country.

The camper has never gotten a 6 month permit and has never been an issue except for the time they slapped on the 10 year permit which is in a pretty inconspicuous location and would really take hunting to find.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Mexico Wanderer wrote:
Andres Lopez Manuel Obrador, the front-runner PRD presidential candidate has hinted he will "make things easier for tourists to visit Mexico" (Whatever that means).

....LOL....its already incredibly easy to visit Mexico...just not with your portable house attached to the back of your vehicle :B
Silver

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
2008, 2009, 2010...

Agua Zarca, Sonoyta, Cd Juarez...

One Ton with cab over camper.

"No"

"No"

"No"

Even tried online.

"No"

Hope this changes. not holding my breath. Andres Lopez Manuel Obrador, the front-runner PRD presidential candidate has hinted he will "make things easier for tourists to visit Mexico" (Whatever that means).

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I have a C and pull a toad so my contribution is no good, "BUT"

Maybe those of you that have pickup trucks and pull 5th wheel trailers or pull trailers down to Mexico might shed some light.

Do you get a 180 day permit for the pickup and a 10 year for the fifth or pull trailer?

If so do you leave the 5th or pull trailer in Mexico and return the 180 day decal and get a new one on the return?

The reason for asking is this, if the pickup and the camper are seen as a unit and issued one decal for 10 years attached to the truck and the camper is left in Mexico, it technically has no permit with out the truck and the truck is now also illegal with a 10 year permit without the camper.

But if the camper is declared as an RV and issued a 10 year permit and the tuck is issued a 180 day permit, then the camper and the truck will be legal being separated, although I do suspect that they will not go for a camper being an RV, one can always ask the worst that can happen is they say NO!

navegator

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Moisheh. The near absence of actual truck camper experience is loud (with the exception of 1 forum member so far: Mike Jin CO) !

We'll let this Thread ride, and see how many Mexico truck camper respondents reply....over time.

On edit: ...I can appreciate your advice on the 10 year applying to the motorized RV for sure...and the complications vis-a-vis a truck camper rig.

Cheers,
S-
Silver

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Silver: The 6 month is removed and you get a receipt showing it was returned. If you paid a "bond" the process of getting a refund is started. It must be returned when you leave the country. If you exceed the expiry date of a 6 month TIP you lose the bond! The 10 year stays on the vehicle until you don't want it anymore or it is about to expire. There is no bond on the 10 year. You can exit the country with the sticker attached. I still think It is a bad idea to get a 10 year for an item that is not a vehicle. One never knows what will happen if you are stopped. No one can give you a definitive answer to your problem. One Aduanaero might give you the permit. Another might not. But technically it is not eligible. Or at least that was correct . Things do change so who knows.

Moisheh

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
MikeJinCO wrote:
Some years ago, at least 5 or 6, we got a 10 year TIP(?) at Laredo but I don't recall doing any paperwork on it. They stuck it on the kitchen window. The same year we got the 180 day windshield tag for our truck as always and have gotten them every year sinc. We have never pointed out the 10 year and they have never looked for it since.

That's interesting. However, I'm unaware of the implications, but I come up with a few questions:

-are the 6 month TIPs and 10 year RV/trailer permits stickers physically removed from vehicles/RVs by Mexican authorities when they exit Mexico?

-is your 10 year RV permit sticker (gotten by you ~6 years ago) still valid even today (ie. you still have 4 years left on "it") ?

-if a truck camper rig gets 2 temporary stickers (1 vehicle TIP and 1 RV 10 year permit), can the truck camper be removed from the pick-up in Mexico for the duration of the stay (6 months) ?
Silver

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
Some years ago, at least 5 or 6, we got a 10 year TIP(?) at Laredo but I don't recall doing any paperwork on it. They stuck it on the kitchen window. The same year we got the 180 day windshield tag for our truck as always and have gotten them every year sinc. We have never pointed out the 10 year and they have never looked for it since.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

Truck campers in Mexico I think could be a rare occurrence, so it will take a while to gather real experiences. I know that a handful of members have brought their truck camper rigs into Mexico recently (by recently, I mean the last 2 or 3 years).

So....so far: 1 truck camper has been stickered with a 10 year, but some time ago; and the truck carrying it was given a 6 month TIP, correct?

Tony Lee wrote:
The other problem comes when you get stopped for a roadside check of documents. If the officer notices you are driving a standard pickup that has a RV TIP then questions will be asked.

...good point....if the entire rig gets stickered as an RV, separating them would be asking for trouble...(not a position I want to be in, for sure)
Silver

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
They slapped one on our camper quite a few years back and have never noticed it since. The truck gets the 6 month tag. Meaning-I have no clue.