cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Pressure Monitor Systems

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
After seeing another post asking about TPMS I felt compelled to jump back up on my soapbox. A friend of mine recently avoided disaster when a quite new front tire blew on his Class A putting him in the median. This happens too often and most times the tire is so shredded that a cause can't really be determined and it is just written off as tire failure. My feeling is this is most likely an issue of low pressure caused by some sort of road hazard. Most of your driving in your car is less than an hour duration and picking up a nail just results in a slow leak that becomes obvious when you come back out of the store/work/school and find a flat tire. RVs are generally driven for longer stretches of time and if you collect a nail, the tire has plenty of time to leak down to the danger level and it's also likely that you are driving at highway speed that will cook the underinflated tire and cause a blowout at speed. THAT'S why i would like to implore EVERYONE to install a TPMS!
19 REPLIES 19

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The vehicle TPMS system uses an "in the tire" pressure monitor. Some of those are wrapped around the wheel, but most replace the valve stem with a pressure monitor device.

There is also some type of technology used to change the monitor display when the tires are rotated. (My Ram 2500 pickup knows when the tires are rotated, usually alerting me that the folks did not change the tire pressures to the correct amount for the position)

Aftermarket TPMS systems with external monitors which screw onto the outside if the valve stem can be used to monitor the toad from the motor home.

However, check the TPMS mfr. Some, like Tire Minder, might require a different type of sensor on the toad tires than on a trailer tire. Also the toad built in TPMS sensor might send a signal on the same frequency band as the towing TPMS, requiring that a signal booster be installed.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Talldog
Explorer
Explorer
Can these new portable systems be used on a new toad that already has its own TPMS?
Talldog
2008 Allegro Bay 35TSB FRED
2017 Jeep Wrangler Toad

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I installed a TPMS. I'm not at all happy with the battery life on the monitor.

My EEZTIRE T515 the monitor hooks up to 12 volt, I only use the battery while programming.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using an aftermarket TPMS for several years now and believe that is has paid for itself many times over. My system alerted me to a low tire on my toad several years ago while on the road. With my DP pulling a Jeep, I would have not felt anything if that tire had gone totally flat until I noticed tire smoke and plastic/rubber shredding in my rear vision camera. I paid around $209 on Amazon for the Tire Tech On a couple years ago. Certainly not one of the best out there but, it continues to monitor what I expected out of the unit.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
my TPMS did catch one case where I picked up a nail and was slowly dropping pressure. slow enough that I was able to catch it, but fast enough that it would have blown between rest stops.

and with a trailer chances of you feeling a low tire is almost zero, unlike on a car or truck where you can notice a low tire.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I also keep an inexpensive infrared temperature gun in my glove box and any time I stop, I always scan my tires and hubs for overheating.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The current problem with TMPS systems is the increasing number of devices in automobiles/ trucks using the same frequency band as the tire sensors.

Five years ago, the small tire mounted internal or external sensors had no problem communicating with the monitor in the vehicle some 20-35 feet away. Today with wireless backup cameras, and other type monitors - the signal competes with those devices, many of which have stronger power sources than the small batteries in the wheel sensors.

I've found that a booster is required on my rig, and talked RVers with the same issue.

I've used the Tire Minder system in the past, but the setup on the company sensor was quite picky.

Currently I use a Tire Minder system which uses my iPhone as the display/ monitor details. The individual tires sensors communicate to a booster placed under the trailer behind the batteries. That communicates to a monitor device we keep near the dash which uses bluetooth to talk to my phone.

A TPMS is a wonderful safety device but will not warn you of every issue.

You need to read and understand how the system alerts and what it will and will not alert you about.

My system requires the tire temp to reach 248 degrees before it alerts.

A friend had a tread come off a tire, damage the trailer. The TPMS did not alert him because the tire never lost air pressure.

I've had a low pressure warning due to a nail in a tire, which the TPMS did warn me about when the pressure dropped 10% in less than 1 hour. But the system did not warn me about a 15% pressure loss overnight.

I had an overpressure alarm once when I drove from 8,000 ft @ 35 degrees - tires properly inflated to 80 PSI, down to 2,000 ft @ 102 degrees about six hours later. Tire was up to 95 PSI.

I check my tire pressure just before I start towing every time, and at every fuel/restroom stop with a very good manual gauge. I check my tire tread for wear, and feel for any bumps, or such at every stop.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I think TPMS are a great idea, especially now that you don't have to replace the valve stem anymore. Simple installation. My question would be which brand? Some seem to be outrageously expensive. The ones that also measures temperature is a big plus. Any recommendations?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
An unnoticed flat (Passenger's inner dual) was why I got the monitor.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
crasster wrote:
I like TPMS and have used them in times past. I don't anymore, not because they are bad, but because there are so many complications to the RV anyway. Here's what I do. Before I trip I check my pressures. If it is a 2-3 day trip, I do it once. That's it.

If it is a long cross country trip, I check them before I go. Then after my destination is reached, I check them before I come back. I have a 12V tire pump to add pressure if needed.

I do think it's a good method.

That's all fine and dandy...but what about you're traveling down the road and you pick up a nail and the tire develops a moderate leak and five miles down the road, it gets so hot, due to low pressure, that it comes apart with chunks of tread flying off taking out hunks of fiberglass, fender skirts, wire bundles, brake lines, hydraulic lines, fuel lines and what ever else that happens to be in the path of the tire chunks causing hundreds (maybe thousands) of $$ damage? No problem tho, you checked the pressure three days ago and it was just fine.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like TPMS and have used them in times past. I don't anymore, not because they are bad, but because there are so many complications to the RV anyway. Here's what I do. Before I trip I check my pressures. If it is a 2-3 day trip, I do it once. That's it.

If it is a long cross country trip, I check them before I go. Then after my destination is reached, I check them before I come back. I have a 12V tire pump to add pressure if needed.

I do think it's a good method.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased and installed the Tire Minder TPMS, it is the one with Bluetooth and use the app on your phone. Simple set up and install.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
My friend sold his Class A and offered his TPMS to me. His Class A had huge tires, but my TT has much smaller ones. I asked him if the weight of the sensors require me to rebalance the tires. He said he had not thought of that. But the web pages I reviewed suggest adding a half ounce weight to the side of the wheel opposite the sensor. So I declined them. It is not that much of a hassle but I declined anyway.

You do realize that normally if you have a low pressure tire, it will eventually get hot or break the bead on the tire and it will come apart....taking large chucks of your trailer's wheel well and siding along with it causing hundreds of dollars worth of damage? The same with a blow out. Most never know they have a tire problem until someone comes along side of them and gets their attention. Not having a TPMS system is just plain silly.

If you're worried about the sensors causing your tires to become un-balanced, why don't you just take them down to the local tire shop and have them rebalanced with the sensors on them? The cost would be much, much less than the repair costs if you have a tire problem.

Simple and cheap.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
My tire valve sensor weighs 0.4 oz. I got a couple of stick-on weights from my local tire store to offset it even though its probably not enough weight offset to matter.
Currently Between RVs