cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Always go prepared...

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We've been RV camping for almost 15 years, but I learned a valuable lesson last week that I wanted to pass on. The lesson is always go prepared. I always bring a cordless drill with me when camping and almost always bring my 201 piece mechanics tool set. We had a 5 day trip planned, but we were really busy the days leading up to our departure. I decided not to bring the tool set.

Unfortunately, that was a mistake. When I emptied the hot water heater last, I did not fully tighten the drain plug (we have a Suburban, so no Anode Rod). Sure enough, it leaked from the drain plug. I didn't notice it right away and had a nice size puddle under the camper. The campground was pretty quiet, so not really anyone to ask if they had a wrench and I could never pin down the host (we were out of the campground each day). I was able to hand tighten it to keep the water from really leaking, but never got it tight enough.

I did have a gallon bucket to catch the leaking water when we needed the hot water heater. I left the hot water heater in bypass most of the time to keep it from getting pressurized. The only time it leaked a lot was when there was pressure in the tank. Once the pressure was relieved, it only dripped every so often.

Like the drill, I will always bring my tool set, even when in a hurry.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)
19 REPLIES 19

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
mgirardo wrote:
We've been RV camping for almost 15 years, but I learned a valuable lesson last week that I wanted to pass on. The lesson is always go prepared. I always bring a cordless drill with me when camping and almost always bring my 201 piece mechanics tool set. We had a 5 day trip planned, but we were really busy the days leading up to our departure. I decided not to bring the tool set.

Unfortunately, that was a mistake. When I emptied the hot water heater last, I did not fully tighten the drain plug (we have a Suburban, so no Anode Rod). Sure enough, it leaked from the drain plug. I didn't notice it right away and had a nice size puddle under the camper. The campground was pretty quiet, so not really anyone to ask if they had a wrench and I could never pin down the host (we were out of the campground each day). I was able to hand tighten it to keep the water from really leaking, but never got it tight enough.

I did have a gallon bucket to catch the leaking water when we needed the hot water heater. I left the hot water heater in bypass most of the time to keep it from getting pressurized. The only time it leaked a lot was when there was pressure in the tank. Once the pressure was relieved, it only dripped every so often.

Like the drill, I will always bring my tool set, even when in a hurry.

-Michael

Yes and DUAL purpose things. Trash cans can act as buckets. Get creative!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Jpatrickc
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
mgirardo wrote:
I was able to hand tighten it to keep the water from really leaking, but never got it tight enough.

Interesting. Something that can't be fixed/patched with pop rivets or duct tape. :B

Pop Rivets is a new one to me.
For me it was always WD-40 if won't move and should or Duct Tape if it moves and shouldn't
Patrick Campbell
State College, PA
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3
2006 Chevy Silverado extended cab LBZ Dually

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a cheapo set that lives in the camper. I suspect you should as well.

Yup, thats what Harbor Freight is for!

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Murphy's law at it's finest moment! (my favorite soap box subject: About the time you get ready to fix mashed potatoes, you'll realize you forgot the potato peeler! ... Always be prepared! Keep a potato peeler in your camper!)

Ha! My last camping trip, a friend came out in her RV for a couple nights. The first night, she came over and asked for a knife to cut her tomato, then she came over to ask for a peeler. When she returned them, I asked her "how do you manage to go camping without me?" She laughed and said "when I go with you, I don't worry about what I forgot because I know you have it".

I have "RV tools" that are always in the RV. I also keep caulking, different tapes (duct, electric, plumbers', etc.), glues (gorilla, crazy, wood, etc.), and such.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
OP, does your water heater have a plastic drain plug? If so it would be an Atwood.

I believe it is nylon, but yes, it is a drain plug. I could have sworn it was a Suburban, but I guess it's an Atwood.

-Michael
Michael Girardo

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
90 percent of teh time I carry my larger tool set. If not I have a large crescent wrench a screw driver and a hammer always in the trailer. Hopefully Murphys doesn't rear his head when I don't have the kit.

OP, does your water heater have a plastic drain plug? If so it would be an Atwood.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small/medium tool box full of the basic socket set, allens, open/box ends, screwdrivers, etc. that stays in one of the bays of the MH. The only time it comes out is if I need something out of it while "camping". I also always take my tool pouch & volt meter with me.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I have always kept a tool kit and spare items in my RV storage area, plus I have a tool box mounted on the Pick Up bed too for other items that I might use or need when I do not have the RV tool handy.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
One nice thing about not having a tool is that typically in a CG you won't have to go far to find somebody who has what you need. First one to try is the guy with the class A or 5er who looks like he might be a fulltimer. When you don't have a home to go back to you collect & carry all kinds of stuff.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
I was able to hand tighten it to keep the water from really leaking, but never got it tight enough.

Interesting. Something that can't be fixed/patched with pop rivets or duct tape. :B

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Are you a former boy scout? Always be prepared. Good advice. Often I can loan items out to neighbors who are in need. Batteries, lantern mantles. What do you use the cordless drill for?

Actually, I was not a boy scout. I am a firm believer that chance favors the prepared.

Almost everything in the camper is held together with screws and staples. If I need to get to the fresh water pump, 4 screws on the access panel. 4 screws on the access panel to get to the Converter, the inverter, the transfer switch and the back of the fuse panel and breaker panel. 4 Screws on the access panel for the furnace. Most of these are 2 inch or longer screws.

I always have a screw driver with me (always in my laptop bag), but having a cordless drill is much more convenient. I have a cordless screw driver, but it is not as powerful as the drill and does not have a removable battery.

-Michael
Michael Girardo

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Jim-Linda wrote:

If you have a Suburban, you do have an anode rod, no drain plug

I could be wrong about it being a Suburban, but I'm pretty sure it is. I know for a fact it does not have an anode rod, just a drain plug.

-Michael
Michael Girardo

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing goes in and out of the camper except food and clothes, and some of that stays in there too.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a torque wrench from Aldi's, I think it's a Work Horse brand, $12! It came with a short extension and a couple of sockets, and bought socket one for the WH. I keep it in the TT for lug nuts and WH.