cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Freightliner DP SHOCK RECOMMENDATOIN

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Time to replace the OEM shocks; Bilsteins or Koni's?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.
13 REPLIES 13

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sway bar bushings are GONE-MIA so I have purchased poly replacements front and rear.
I hope those help with the new shocks.

I hope to be free of this rig in a year so not putting too much $$$ into it.

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
I had a full set of Koni shocks installed 2 years ago at OMC, made a big difference. Then last year I had the wax valve and Comfort Control Vales installed at Source Engineering, they are the same as the Motion Control Unit, even more of an improvement.
http://sourcerv.com/valves
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
So Shockwarehouse is $165 shipping included.

8805 1020 front.

$180 MSRP

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Big Katuna"....Just plug in your coach info on the Koni site and it will give you the shock numbers.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Henderson Line Up has a Motion Control Unit that does wonders for the problems you've indicate. I'm a believer in Robert Henderson and his products.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ill go with the Koni's. I have a solid axle XCS chassis.

Anybody know what the part number is? Im going to call Freightliner tomorrow.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I never really did a review, but I've been reading posts on this forum and another for ten years. I've found from my reading and my personal experience that the most were happier with the Bilsteins on gassers and the Koni FSD's on the DP's.

I replaced the shocks on my Dutch Star (2014 Freightliner XCR tag axle chassis with IFS) with Koni FSD's, but they were not available for the front, only the Koni Adjustables. I was pleased with the rears, but still didn't like the performance on the front. I also changed my tag shocks which there was no listing. I called Koni and they said they needed the measurements of the OEM Sachs tag shock. After measuring and conferring with Koni, the tag used the same as the rear shock (8055-1022).

Several months ago, I decided to pop for some Road Kings for the front of my coach. I called Road King and they said they install them all the time on the Freightliner IFS chassis and they work great, yet they didn't have a listing and needed me to give them shock measurements. I decided to try them and gave them the measurements. The shocks arrived and were too short, and didn't match the measurements (length I gave them). I called the salesman and he acted like he would lose his job if I returned them and he lost the sale. This went on for several days, even after talking to a supervisor. I was just about to dispute the charge when they finally agreed to take the WRONG shocks back. Then it took another ten days to get my refund.

I've talked to Koni and asked about FSD's for IFS. They have no intention on making them, at least not now. The problem is, the IFS front ends don't have enough room or travel to fit an FSD. Recently though, they've come out with a new shock called the Evo that will fit the IFS front end. It's using a larger diameter shaft. I have a set arriving next week for the front, but probably won't drive the coach for a few weeks after that.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
XC Chassis? You probably have Sach's in there, mine were a joke as they worked on compression only. I would get whipped all over the place coming out of the driveway at an angle. I replaced the front with Koni FSD and problem solved. Probably should do the rears too but the urgency went away.

I think it was Dutchstar Don that reviewed several sets of shocks including the FSD's and Bilstiens around 2008. Don't know if it can still be found
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My son put Bilsteins on his 2014 Excursion and told me it greatly improved the ride. I'll do Bilsteins when I replace mine.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I put new Koni's on our brand new Fleetwood after 1 year. The ride wasn't desirable with the stock Sach shocks. The improvement in ride and roll were very noticeable.

Now many are going to tell you the shocks don't control roll. But it helped the side to side sway on ours.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems to wallow more than it used to. I have talked to a few guys that said replacing OEM shocks firmed up the ride and helped with roll.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would stick to stock Bilsteins. They actually are pretty good shocks. Did yours fail or just getting mushy?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, mines a 2001 and my shocks are still great as far as I can tell. But bilsteins are what my Beaver coach has and I would stick with them.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992