cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yes Another Generator Question

jdmountains
Explorer
Explorer
I know I know another generator question and also my first post. I have a 2006 Pioneer Fleetwood 180-CK travel trailer. We have had this for three years now and love it and 90% of the time we dry camp with it. I also have a 100 watt renogy portable solar panel that does the trick of keeping the batteries topped off before the night 90% of the time. Batteries are two Super Start group of 27 12 wired in parallel. I have only run the AC once when at full hookups and that was also the only time we have run the microwave. We won't ever run AC or microwave when not on full hookups. No TV, fridge runs on propane and we use lights occasionally (kids actually have AA battery LED lights they prefer as they are kids) so we don't even run the lights all that often. We have occasionally charged iPhone or iPad off of 12 volt plug in. We are low power people when camping.

However, I am considering getting a very small generator as I have had issues a few times at high elevations where when running the furnace at night and then a streak of cold cloudy (sometimes rainy) days (two or three in a row) where the solar panels don't get the chance top off the batteries to get through the night with the furnace running. Over these periods I have twice had to plug into and run the truck, which sucks as it doesn't charge well and just stinks overall. So basically all I am looking for is a small generator that would top off the batteries in the above described situation? Would a little 800 run watt generator work?

I know the honda 2000 would be great, but don't have that kind of cash right now. Would love something in the $250 range. Also, my other huge question is what what if any other equipment do I need exactly to make this happen? Can I just plug a solid extension cord in to the generator and then plug that into my 30amp trailer cord with the rubber yellow 30 amp to 120v converter I use when plugged in at home to gear up?

Thank you thank you for any advice or suggestions.
20 REPLIES 20

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
You're in the same boat I am, but for opposite reasons. I'm always at a camp with hookups. But, I sometimes need the generator for the trip to the camp. I can't justify a ton of money for something I will rarely use. I bought the Champion 2800/3100 so I could run the A/C if we stop at a rest area for a few hours of sleep, or to have lunch or something similar. I am very pleased with the Champion. Good luck with it.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

jdmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Got the Champion and it arrives today and we will head out for a trip this weekend so very excited. Thank you all so much for your advice.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will be happy in the long run with a Champion 2000w inverter.
I have one and have been very pleased. Starts easy, runs quiet, fuel efficient, and has been reliable.
I have one of the Harbor Freight 800w 2 stroke units I bought my 1st year using my TT, it has been reliable, but starts harder and is much noisier. Pretty much just keep it as a backup and for powering tools in the back yard.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
jdmountains wrote:
I might just go with the Champion 2000 watt inverter model. They are $441 on amazon right now and should do the trick.

Good idea !

I am guessing those batteries a dual purpose marine batteries. You would be much better off with a pair of (Costco) GC2 golf cart batteries. If you do a lot of boondocking, I would suggest 4 of them. Two pair in series and then in parallel.

Recharging TT batteries from a tow vehicle typically does not work well because there is not enough voltage at the TT battery connection. There are solutions but they cost $$$$ !

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
You buy JUNK you get JUNK
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
jdmountains wrote:
so I think I would be looking at having to change the converter out?

I see a misunderstanding developing here.
NO you would want a BIGGER converter if anything.....and that would require an even bigger generator.

I suggest that you try not to make a big mistake here by going TOO cheap. Save your pennies for 6 months if necessary to get something decent. I think that 2000 is the practical bottom....because that would allow you to do other things while the batteries are charging.

I was shopping for accessories on WalMart.com yesterday and was amazed at the number and variety of generators they list. Have a look there and then ask here again about the quality of anything that looks good.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Also check Cabelas as that 2000W start-up Champion generator goes on sale from time to time. I believe there is a Cabelas in GJ.

One item that didn't get mentioned is the part about running a generator at altitude. Just like any internal combustion engine, a generator at altitude will have less power output and there really is no way around that. I do have that same Champion and it will serve your needs well at 9500ft, so long as no A.C., microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, etc, you will be perfectly fine.
I love me some land yachting

jdmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, it seems easier to just get a better generator than trying to screw with other components that I could easily screw up and end up having to bring into a dealer which would then cost me x10.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Since the $250 is history my suggestion was moot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jdmountains
Explorer
Explorer
I might just go with the Champion 2000 watt inverter model. They are $441 on amazon right now and should do the trick.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jdmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you road runner that was helpful. I doubt my converter is able to manage the different charge levels so I think I would be looking at having to change the converter out? Or can I by something as easy as the charge wizard to plug into my existing converter? I have no idea what my existing converter is and won't until I can get to storage on Saturday

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I see for generator price ranges:

$80-140 -- the Yamaha ET-800 clone. This is a two stroke buzzsaw engineered in the 1970s that requires oil in the fuel, requires a fairly elaborate break-in routine, likely needs a new spark plug, and puts out very dirty power (as in spikes when a load is put on or off.)

$200-400 -- an open-framed, four-stroke generator. It will have at least some voltage regulation, but likely still dirty... but it will be fairly reliable. Of course, it will be loud. Don't bother trying to go fancy with boxes and such... these give noise through vibration and exhaust. I am currently using one of these, but so are all my neighbors at the weekend festival.

$500-600 -- you can get a Champion or comparable 2000 watt inverter model. A tad louder than a Honda, but puts out stable power, and is relatively quiet.

$1000 -- you can buy a Honda eu2000i, or a Champion 3500 watt inverter model. The CPE model is a little bit louder, but still a lot quieter than open-framed models.

$1200 -- you can buy a dual-fuel 3500 watt Champion inverter model.

$2200 -- you can buy two Honda eu2000i models and pair them, or one 3000 watt red/blue.

$4000 -- you can buy a 4000-7000 watt inverter model from red/blue.

I would say the most popular way to go are two paralled eu2000i generators. However, for a 30A circuit, the 3000-3500 watt Champion inverters are a nice alternative, cheaper, and won't peeve your neighbors.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdmountains wrote:
I put in the $250 range. As for the on board charging system, I have no idea what that is. How would I find out what the on board charging system is? Why would a converter determine my power requirements.
Need to locate and post the model number of the breaker/fuse panel would probably do it.
Some may need 800 watts, some may need 1800.
If you are buying a 3000 watt champion generator then you are right that it does not matter.