cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slides- how far to retract?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
On our NTU 2005 Cougar 304BHS, when we retract the slides, they come in level with the floor, then tip up just a bit at the limit.

This lifts the floor of the slide a little.

Question: Should I stop when the top stops, or continue until the slide limit stops it?

It seems as though I should stop when the slide stops and just before it starts to lift the floor, but what about the seal? Will this seal the slide properly?

Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
True, designs are different and some can be used while retracted....mine can't. The floor lifts slightly as it contacts the outside gasket and yes, that's how its supposed to work. Mine is flush floor design and it operates like described in previous posts.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Our slide rocks on the way out and on the way in. It draws up tight on both ends. We used the couch when it is in or out. It is a short slide about 16 inches or so deep and carries the couch and kitchen.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
When retracted, the outer edge of the slide floor is supported by the trailer floor and the slide rams. I would ask "strong enough" for what?? I can't see any reason to be using the slide closed except for some storage.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA wrote:
You probably have a slide mechanism that is under the slide, like 1 or 2 beams (rams) that are driven by a rack & pinion mechanism.

The side walls of the slide are not square, they are wider at the bottom than at the top by a small amount. When you move it out, the bottom goes first, then the top follows. As the bottom moves out the floor drops since the slide room is still touching at the top edge. Known as a flush floor slide, no step up into the slide room.

When retracting, the room moves evenly along the floor edge supported by nylon blocks or strips (usually!) which are mounted along the outer edge of the main floor. When the top contacts the upper wall, the slide bottom (floor) is still a couple of inches or so from the bottom edge and as the slide mechanism continues inward, the bottom continues into the trailer causing the floor to rise just as the slide is fully closed. It is pivoting at the top contact with the trailer main wall. Simple, right!!???

This sounds exactly how it is acting. I'll get some pics, though the slides are in and I have to move and level the camper first. Might not be until tomorrow eve 😉

Thanks for all the detailed opinions on the different kinds of slides.

It makes sense that the floor of our slide is strong enough to support people and traffic, same as when extended. It also seems the slide mechanisms are strong enough and only need the walls to support the slides if they are cantilevered in the extended position.

It also sounds like the *main* issue is the lack of support on the inside edge. It makes sense in a way to be suspended above the main floor a bit, else it could leave marks as it extends and retracts (I've seen some online pics of these some time ago with bad slides).

If all that is the case...and I don't see a problem item or design when I look closer...I will likely make some kind of support/edge for the slide when retracted to provide support for the inner edge against the main floor. Support it just like a platform or stage.

Question: the outer (outside wall) edge of the slide shouldn't have any complaints about support and being strong enough when retracted, right?

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Nvr2loud wrote:
Some of us have slides without a floor, mine is like that. The underside of the slide is just a rubber 'curtain / barrier'

The couch and kitchen cupboards are on rollers and travel along the TT floor.

I've never seen anything like that, sounds interesting. Can you post a few pics?

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
You probably have a slide mechanism that is under the slide, like 1 or 2 beams (rams) that are driven by a rack & pinion mechanism.

The side walls of the slide are not square, they are wider at the bottom than at the top by a small amount. When you move it out, the bottom goes first, then the top follows. As the bottom moves out the floor drops since the slide room is still touching at the top edge. Known as a flush floor slide, no step up into the slide room.

When retracting, the room moves evenly along the floor edge supported by nylon blocks or strips (usually!) which are mounted along the outer edge of the main floor. When the top contacts the upper wall, the slide bottom (floor) is still a couple of inches or so from the bottom edge and as the slide mechanism continues inward, the bottom continues into the trailer causing the floor to rise just as the slide is fully closed. It is pivoting at the top contact with the trailer main wall. Simple, right!!???

Yours sounds like it is acting normally. If the room is square in the opening, and the rams are adjusted properly, the tilting will correct.

As to stepping on the floor or sitting on a sofa or dinette when retracted, NOT recommended on this type of slide!! The slide floor is only supported along the inner edge when the slide is open. Most floors of this style slide (flush floor) are only 3/4" to 1" thick, and will flex down and may even pull any short walls (like dinette) away from the slide outer wall. Ask me how I know!!! I support our 13' slide with a carpet covered block during travel or storage with slide in.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Mine has a plastic or nylon threshold it slides over. From stepping on it while the slide was partially in, we broke it. I ended up designing rollers to replace it.
Also, my buddy was warned not to step on the slide floor of his new Arctic Fox.
So apparently there are some designs where the slide floor should be avoided when it's not all the way out.

Some of us have slides without a floor, mine is like that. The underside of the slide is just a rubber 'curtain / barrier'

The couch and kitchen cupboards are on rollers and travel along the TT floor.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
The slide should contact the side at the top first. Should the bottom hit first, the top would not get pulled tightly against the side.

Oh good! That's how it is working now, seems "proper" from a general smooth and even point. But I didn't now if it was correct.

Thanks!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The slide should contact the side at the top first. Should the bottom hit first, the top would not get pulled tightly against the side.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I would find out if that little lift is normal. Sounds as if the slide is not vertically square with the camper.

I would welcome that answer! 😉

It may be out of adjustment, I don't know. Should it stay even the whole time it is retracting, or is it okay to pitch up at the end? Seems like the top makes contact first and the bottom catches up, just a little.

But the slide seems perfectly aligned and square when extended.

I'll have to take a closer look next time we extend them.

The camper isn't level side to side right now. It looked close, but with the slides out...quite obvious it AIN'T! lol

I have the new electric tongue jack that is supposed to have a level on it. Won't get it on until the weekend maybe. But we'll be doing a better job of leveling in the very near future. We're not quite setup with things yet.

Thanks for your comment 😉

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I would find out if that little lift is normal. Sounds as if the slide is not vertically square with the camper.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Mine has a plastic or nylon threshold it slides over. From stepping on it while the slide was partially in, we broke it. I ended up designing rollers to replace it.
So apparently there are some designs where the slide floor should be avoided when it's not all the way out.

I may have to get a look under there and see what we have for supports.
Heck, I'd used dense foam wedges when the slide is closed to support it before we'd decide to NEVER use the slides when stopped for a quick lunch.

Don't know if that is practical or even possible yet. From what I understand it is the risk of separating an unsupported floor from the side's walls that is the risk. Hmmm.....

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a link to a manual? (I found the Keystone generic one and for the generic Lippert slides.)

Any for my specific model?