cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route north of Kansas City vs going thru.

bellhull
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling from Wichita to Madison, WI. I would like to try the route from Topeka to St Joe and then back over to I35 (hwys 4,59 & 36) vs going through Kansas City. Is this a good idea?
6 REPLIES 6

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done it several times, usually in my pickup or full-size van, but once with 30-foot C. I'm always going south on 59 (my northbound routes are different, it is a time of day thing) so can't advise on connections northbound.

The route through Atchison is not too bad. I've side tripped a couple of times there to visit the Amelia Earhart Birthplace museum, which is not too bad with a smaller vehicle, but you can get trapped in that neighborhood with a RV.

South side of St Joseph can be slow going, particularly the Lake Avenue section, which is a busy residential-light industrial section with narrow old rough streets and diagonal three-way to five-way intersections.

Once you get on US-36 it is four-lane divided (but not controlled access) all the way to the Mississippi River, with traffic lights only in Cameron around the I-35 junction.

Be sure to check with DOT in Kansas and Missouri. I've been caught a couple of times by road closings between Atchison and St Joe, and forced to do some backtracking.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our 5th wheel over US 36 from Hannibal to St. Jo in the fall of 2015. Several 4-lane sections, especially over the many rolling hills. We took a roundabout way between Madison and Hannibal via I-90 to Rockford, IL Route 2 to Dixon, I-88 to I-74, I-74 to Galesburg, US 34/US 67/US 24 to Fowler IL, then I-172/72 to Hannibal. But we had never driven through that area before, so we took the "scenic route" to get a better view of rural areas of IL instead of just the big cities. In other words, we weren't in any hurry because WE'RE RETIRED!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
It is an OK way. I have been that way a lot over the years. 2 lane Kansas country roads not a big deal.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Take Hiway 75 north of Topeka up to I80. Some of it is 4 lane, but all good roads.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
It's been awhile since I made that run. 4 is a good 2 lane thru the country. 59 is the same until in Atchison & St.Joe with some city driving. Your plan sounds good to me. If heading back to WI stay on 36 across MO.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good to me. I know that 36 is good for sure.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.