cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camper bed a bit claustrophobic, anyway to get over it

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
I finally was able to camp a few days in my camper and each night woke up a bit claustrophobic. The living room area is fine as there are 2 pop outs but the bed area is a bit tight. Leaving both window shades open and the window over the bed helps a bit. Dont want to get rid of the camper as I finally got in dialed in.

Anyone have experience getting over this?
25 REPLIES 25

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
My campers have always had the front window until my current Lance. At home I also have my bed under a window. It took a while to get used to (I too tend to be a bit...a LOT claustrophobic)but now I don't even think of it. At least not until I started reading your thread! 😉

Hope it all works out for you!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

B-J1
Explorer
Explorer
Wife has the same issue but does fine if we sleep "upside down".... heads toward the open area of the camper.
We are not able to sit upright in our cabover (Lance 825).
2014 Lance 825, '98 Dodge 2500 Diesel

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Does your cabover space have one of those decorative valances across the front? Mine did. I felt like I was sleeping with my head in a box and hit my head on it sometimes laying down and sitting up. Removed the valance and it feels much more open.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
You can get over your phobia by gradually increasing your exposure to that which you fear. Go out into the open part of the camper for a awhile, then look into the overcab area and assure yourself that it is safe, it is the very same place that you are now sitting in. In your minds eye, picture yourself up there, all calm, relaxed and safe. Train your mind to KNOW it is safe up there. Do this daily until you can picture yourself up there and remain totally calm, at least for 30 days. Then go up there for very short periods. Be mentally prepared. If you start to feel scared, leave and regain your composure, use your logic to show yourself that there is nothing to fear. Then go back up there, and gradually increase your exposure untill it is no problem. Use the same proceedure to tackle any other place you fear. Good luck.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I had that problem once. Turned out it was the altitude. We drove from home at 700 ft elevation to 11,000 in 2 days. Woke up in the middle of the night gasping for breath. Both me and my daughter had to get out and take a long walk. Luckily my wife has no issues. Good luck getting your affliction straightened out.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try sleeping in a tent for a couple nights then going back to your camper, that might solve your problem. If you still have issues try some beers or at worst case mix in some whisky.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, great suggestions in this thread. It is a Lance 1172, so it has windows on both sides of the bed. I tried looking at other models with windows only on one side and those were absolutely unbearable. I am not sure if I can sit up in the bed off the top of my head, but it isnt that bad I have to crawl on hand and knees to get in the bed. I will check that when I am back in the storage.

I will try some of the suggestions in this thread, maybe also removing the excess storage.
Thanks again.

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hard time getting into small elevators, I hold my breathe for a couple of floors but can't do more than 4 or 5

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a pop-up TC a number of years ago because I knew I could not handle a hard cover cabover. I tolerated it fairly well, but never really like it. I am a psychologist and I have used many strategies over the years to help me do the things I want to do (e.g., go into caves) but sometimes it just doesn't work. Get a rig that feels right, life it too short to be stressed.

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a lot of cabinetry in the cabover. You could try removing it and see if that helps. I removed most of the cabinets out of mine because it was useless & I keep my clothes in a backpack or duffel bag.

Some campers are offered with no cabinets at all in the cabover and the bed is two twins with an center aisle or a king size.

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Would air flowing around you give you a feeling of "open space"?

This fan is super quiet and has a USB cord... no outlet required. Just plug it into a portable charger (the kind used to charge a cell phone or laptop).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJZUDD6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1Desk USB fan - QUIET
Kathy

MKish
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose you could switch to a popup TC. Even less headroom but the 360 degree windows make up for it.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
We can sit up in our camper but my wife is also uncomfortable, always has been, she gave this unit which was the largest camper I could find three years of use and we're now looking to trade over to a fifth wheel.

I've tried to get her over it, she's tried and now we're ready for more room.

I always thought I'd be pulling boats with the camper but we've only used it for fishing once so looking at a porta boat to hang on the side of a fiver.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This topic prompts a related question, not worthy of its own thread. I am wondering how much headroom is there in the ordinary cabover bed. Can you sit up straight in bed? When you get in and out of bed, do you have to crawl on your hands and knees?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."