cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chesapeake Bay Bridge (not the tunnel)

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
The other one.... Rt 50 out of Annapolis. Anyone drive their RV across that thing? It looks tight to say the least. Im going no to be in DC and will be going to Assateague Island and 50 is the fastest route but if need be I can take 95 north to Newark and then head south. I have a 40ft fifth wheel for reference.
10 REPLIES 10

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all fo the help! Guess I'll take the Bridge then.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
esyers wrote:
Lantley wrote:
The bay bridge is fine. I go across with the RV a dozen times during the RV season. No worries crossing the Bay bridge. Beware of the occasional wind restrictions, but otherwise you'll be fine.
Now if you want narrow travel the 2 lane Harry Nice bridge across the Potomac on 301

X2 on BOTH, the Harry Nice bridge is the narrow one. As mentioned, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is just long.

I am hearing from a VA friend that they are finally going to do something with the Harry Nice bridge. Finally!
Puma 30RKSS

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
The other one.... Rt 50 out of Annapolis. Anyone drive their RV across that thing? It looks tight to say the least. Im going no to be in DC and will be going to Assateague Island and 50 is the fastest route but if need be I can take 95 north to Newark and then head south. I have a 40ft fifth wheel for reference.

Big bridge - wide lanes - NO PROBLEM - Live here and do it all the time, actually have kept the Coach on Both Sides of the Bridge - Never been an Issue.

When driving over get to the Toll Booth to the far right - gives you move room on the passenger side (no booth that side)

Enjoy the Island and the entire Eastern Shore of Maryland and Delaware - Virginia.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
Cross it quite few times pulling the toad.No bad at all.Glimit.the slow lane and do the speed limit.You will be fine.Also nice scenery.
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through there, it was not that bad at all.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
The bay bridge is fine. I go across with the RV a dozen times during the RV season. No worries crossing the Bay bridge. Beware of the occasional wind restrictions, but otherwise you'll be fine.
Now if you want narrow travel the 2 lane Harry Nice bridge across the Potomac on 301

X2 on BOTH, the Harry Nice bridge is the narrow one. As mentioned, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is just long.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven across it, and don't plan to ever do it again. Having said that, it is much better than some of the others I have been on. Just avoid doing it with much wind at all. If you call ahead of time, they will provide a driver to take it across the bridge for you. Not sure if there is any charge for that.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
It's not bad. It looks narrow but it's mostly psychological as the lanes are standard width. Semi trucks drive it all the time. Just stay to the right and drive at normal speed and you'll be fine. I'd avoid it in high winds but there will be warnings and or restrictions posted at those times.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed our RV up and down I-95 and back and forth across the CBB (Rt 50) and I would 10 times rather go across the bridge than travel I-95.

Yes, it's a bridge, it's long, it's narrow, but it's got more than 1 lane and it's straight for the most part. Travel at a decent speed, 45 or so and just go. Don't white knuckle it, it's the same as many bridges, just a bit longer. It sure beats going around.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW