cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New F250 and BW hitch

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I was worried that I might have to lift the trailer since the new truck is higher than my old 2500HD, and the new hitch is taller too. I didn't want to assemble and install the new hitch if it was not going to work, so I shimmed up my old hitch and lowered it into the new rig. I think the BW RVK3300 will work just fine on the lowest setting, which is what I mocked up here.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

21 REPLIES 21

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
Well I removed the hitch from the truck today. The passenger side cams were still snug, but the drivers side were both loose. It took three extra notches of the castle nut on both to get them snug again. This is something that I will check whenever re-installing the hitch, however I think after the initial break-in period it should not need further adjustment. Just something to check though if you installed a hitch(any brand)and never remove it.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would raise it up some to keep the pinbox from scraping the bed side.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
That is the lowest setting and the most rearward, which should put the kingpin 1" in front of the rear axle.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nice pic...I knew you would love that hitch, so user friendly!

Looks like you have good bed rail clearance! Do you have it up one, or on bottom?

Jerry

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
Went on a spur of the moment 450km round trip with the wife. We wanted to see how the new TV behaved. Overall we liked it! I wouldn't say that it pulled WAY better than the old 2500, but it is a much nicer ride. NO clunking or chucking at all from the hitch, and it was really easy to connect and disconnect it. I towed In "D" with 6th locked out and the tow/haul mode on. For the most part it stayed in 5th, with the occasional downshift to 4th. There are a couple steep gullies we went through where it downshifted to 3rd on the way back up. On the return trip I put the info screen in "offroad" mode and these grades registered as 3 degrees with a brief flash to 4 deg. On a 2 deg slope it would downshift to 4th and stay there. On these same hills the 2500 would downshift to 2nd. Also, the non-slider hitch is just fine with this trailer. I jack-knifed it to 45 degrees while parking it and still have clearance.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MFL wrote:
Well...Maybe start up one inch, and go from there. The 3300 head is easily removed, arms easily adjusted, you can go up/down, after test run.

You got the best truck, with best hitch, can't get any better than that!! 🙂

Jerry

I will agree on half off that statement! 😉

What???:E You are changing your mind on hitch choice!!:W

Jerry

UHHHHHHHHH
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GMH wrote:
I want to be able to lock this thing but I won't start a new lock thread, cause I know where they lead. Cooked this up in about an hour. No mods to hitch required.

I have never heard of a hitch being stolen, Bla Bla Bla in all my years off RV'ing, Bla Bla Bla!!!

Actually looks nice!

Don't forget to lock the head and the handle!

I like locks also! Only 5 on my B&W. :B

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I want to be able to lock this thing but I won't start a new lock thread, cause I know where they lead. Cooked this up in about an hour. No mods to hitch required.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MFL wrote:
Well...Maybe start up one inch, and go from there. The 3300 head is easily removed, arms easily adjusted, you can go up/down, after test run.

Jerry

What???:E You are changing your mind on hitch choice!!:W

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:

Jerry

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
The times when I had it come close to hitting was leaving gas stations in the northeast and also pulling out of a few shopping centre entrances, never really in actual campgrounds.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:

Jerry

Thanks! The install was super easy. I didn't even have to adjust the four cam latches. A good bump with the palm of my hand and they latched firmly into place. The outfit that the dealer recommended did an excellent job of applying the Full Metal Jacket bedliner too.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
1-2" is no biggy. Only issue with being 1-2" high is if you're doing a quick overnighter. The nose may be to high for comfort. Backing up on some 2" pads would alleviate that issue.
FWIW I've been hauling my 5er 1"+ for 4 seasons with 6" of bed clearance. No issues.