cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oregon "CARRY CHAINS" requirement ?

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
I totally understand the need for safety on our highways in adverse conditions; I will not drive the BUS when even a little slippery. With that said, when does the requirement cease? I want to travel I84 starting 4/1 but I still see several of those notices on ODOT on 84 and 5, among other places, though I see no snow to speak of in the webcam shots. The ODOT site doesn't say; just "NO STUDS AFTER 4/1". Anybody know for sure when the notices are turned off? Other than when snow/ice is a danger? THX TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD
17 REPLIES 17

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Many areas that require chains seems like a state sponsored money racket. Like California where they have workers on each end selling chains and charging to take on or off. Here in AZ they post chains or 4x4 recommended and if it gets bad enough they just close down the highway completely. Seems to work just fine.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
In 44 1/2 years in a truck, crossing I-84 more times than I can count I have been checked physically one time. This was near the start of carry season near Hood River, OR. At the time I was dragging doubles around with a three axle tractor. I had to lay out chains on ground so Smokey could count them and inspect condition. I laid out three 3-railers, and 8 singles. Smokey was strutting around like a peacock with a big smirk on his face. He made a comment about delaying me told him that when I got back in truck I was going to enter 40 minuets for chain time and is would pay $22.50/hr. Grin disappeared as did I.

Been through the drive by checks several times and as long as they saw chains in the rack they were happy. Could have wrapped a tow chain around the rack several times and they would have never known the difference.

Never known or heard of a non-commercial vehicle getting checked but never asked anyone either. Now if your caught barefoot when the sign is up, all bets are off especially when you get twisted up and rightfully so.

As far as myself I don't carry them, figure I'll wait it out. Driven too many miles in foul weather, why do so now?

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I did six months in an Oregon county jail for pumping my own gas, Mitch.

BAAHAAA Must have had gas confused with a bottle of Jack.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I have been stopped on the Siskiyous before along with others for a "chain Check" if you did not have 4 wheel drive.
cpaulsen

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

Should've waited for the station to open.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

and the rest of the story ?

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
In Colorado big trucks have to carry chains through the end of May. It does not pertain to private vehicles or RVs. However there are private vehicle (to include RV's) rules. Code 15 and 16 traction laws when in effect do pertain to private vehicles and code 16 does require chains on all vehicles on the roadway. I lived here for 25 years and while this rule 16 has only been in effect a few years I have never seen it implemented they close the road first as usually by that time there have been enough accidents that you cant get through anyway and they close it to clear the accidents which also allows the plows to get some what caught up. Sometimes it is too much even for them and they close the road until it stops snowing then the plows get out and clear then they reopen. I-70 usually closes only for accident clearing or avalanche control for the other lesser known roads wolf creek pass on 160 for example while they do a great job keeping it open I have seen it closed for days at a time.
colorado stuff https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/TractionLaw

More specific to Oregon
https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/chain-laws.asp
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
The carry chain signs are probably going to be up during your trip - but I suspect that most vehicles traveling aren't carrying chains and the only way your going to be ticketed is if you get stuck in the middle of the road and become a hazard to others. If your concerned then buy some chains at Les Schwab - they allow you to return them after a certain time limit if you don't use them. If it were me I would check road conditions - if the roads are clear then don't sweat it.
Kevin

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
In Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, California believe me if it's snowing and your on a mountain pass semi or otherwise an you do not have chains on you will be stopped and fined.

If there is no snow then they will not stop or check to see if you have them, in most states out west the law states you must carry chains November thought April for large trucks.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I dont and wont carry chains for anything i own. California is the only state i have been to that checks chains and thats commercial only. Its also the only state i have been to that has chain control checkpoint for when they are required, all other states put up a sign that says required. Unless you plan on driving in a snowstorm dont worry about it.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, Oregon won't even let you pump your own gas, so there you go...
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
What they said.

You must have chains or traction tires in or on your vehicle and they must be the right size for your vehicle and of sufficient number to comply with the Minimum Chain Requirements.

TripCheck
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either carry chains or plan on turning around if signs indicate chains required.
If somehow you get caught in a chains required area without chains then you can be cited.
No one is getting stopped for a random chain inspection.