cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas pedal non responsive

recpccpa
Explorer
Explorer
On several occasions the following has happened to me while driving my Class A motor home:
While I am driving down the highway, the gas pedal all of a sudden becomes non responsive. I depress the pedal and nothing happens. The vehicle begins to just slow down as if the vehicle is in neutral rather than drive. I coast to a stop as I pull off onto the shoulder of the highway. Once the vehicle is stopped, I put the transmission in neutral and the engine continues to idle. If I depress the gas pedal while the engine is idling, I get no response from the engine. The engine does not rev up as I depress the gas pedal. So I turn the engine off and let it sit for a few minutes. I then restart the engine and once it restarts I again try to rev the engine by depressing the gas pedal while the transmission is in neutral. Still no response by the engine. I then turn the engine off again and let it sit for a few more minutes. After going through this routine a number of times, eventually the problem clears and the engine becomes responsive to the gas pedal and then I can put the vehicle in drive and continue on my way. I have had the vehicle in the shop once for this problem, but the mechanic was unable to find any problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be taking place so that I can put the vehicle back in the shop and more directly advise the shop what the problem might be that I am experiencing. Thanks for any help you might provide.

Additional Info:
I have a 2007 Rexhall Rexair 38 foot motor home built on a Workhorse
chasis powered by an 8.1 liter gasoline engine.
7 REPLIES 7

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the poster has a MH built on the Workhorse 8.1 chassis. The ECMs on those are notorious for going into 'limp' mode for no apparent reason. Mine would do it once in a blue moon, usually when I was fiddling with the cruise control. Pulling over to the side of the road, turning off the engine and restarting clears that.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I had that happen on a Ford psd and the pedal assembly had to be replaced. Its drive by wire and it went bad.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
cjd10 wrote:
On my 2001 GMC truck I had those same issues but when it happened the display on the dash would read "reduced engine power" The symptoms were for a bad throttle body sensor but it turned out to be a dirty battery connection.

A bad throttle body sensor could definitely cause the problem the OP is having. The computer will think it is throttling at a different measure than the OP is depressing the gas.

Curious OP if this is happening when the coach is warmed up more?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It could be an electronic throttle position sensor. TPS. or some associated wiring.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mine works on air. Not enough air no throttle.
You need to list more info as allready mentioned for any real help.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2001 GMC truck I had those same issues but when it happened the display on the dash would read "reduced engine power" The symptoms were for a bad throttle body sensor but it turned out to be a dirty battery connection.
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Could you furnish a little information on your Class A?
The year, make, chassis and engine would be useful. Maybe someone with a similar RV can help with the problem.

Or, put a description of the Class A in your profile.

Hopefully it's something simple.