cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Composting or cassette toilet. Who gas one ?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised that you almost never see either of these as an option in RVs ! They would save fresh water and save weight by not having a black water tank.

For 2 people, a cassette toilet, one that can be emptied into a standard toilet sounds like a good idea.
32 REPLIES 32

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
travelnutz wrote:
CavemanCharlie,

So wrong! Drain fields usually have 8" to 12" of dirt over them. I have 2 of them here, another at our place up north in Michigan, and had one in Florida near WPB. NONE have even as much as 12" of dirt over the stones. My brother in Jupiter Florida just west of I-95 also has one at his very expensive home with 1-3/4 acres of fenced in property they had built 13 years ago. No way could you have the drain field any deeper as it would be flooded because the water table is so high. Actually, the dirt was added on top of his drain field as the top of it was level with the surrounding ground before the dirt was spread on top of it. The water table is so high in most of South Florida that you cannot drain the water out of an in ground pool because the pool will pop out of the ground from the very high water table. The sealed pool becomes a boat hull and floats! You in Minnesota do not have this problem.

BTW, just how far down in the ground do you think the top of your septic tank is if you have one. All of ours are 3" to 4" under the surface as I've scrapped the dirt off to get to the approx 2' X 2' lid and had them pumped when needed or every 5-8 years. Just 2 of us living in the places as we are long retired, like 17 years now. If more people are living there and adding sewage means more often having it pumped out.

You could be right about the Drain Field. I don't have one. I know where my septic tank is and yes, the lid is only a few inches down. The top of the tank is a couple of feet down. But, it's 6-7 feet tall ! I know this because I had to run a new water line to the house and the line runs under the corner of the septic tank. I have pumped my tank once. Was about 25 years ago. We have pumped my brothers a couple of times over the decades. They are not full to the top you know. The liquid drain is down a few feet on the side of them.

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
Had one for 6 years in a TC. Just sold it a few months ago. Wanted to try it as in the many years of camping, had never had one in the 3 previous TC,s.
Our RV lifestyle is almost 100% dry/ boondock camping. Maybe 25% of the nights were spent in campgrounds that had dump stations.

Swapped the black water tank for more storage which is at a premium in a TC. Because of the small size of the cassette potable holding tank, (5 G), it encouraged us to conserve water which is one of the things which limits most people when they boondock.

As has already been stated, the tank can be emptied in any pit, or regular toilet plus dump station in about 15 seconds. No waiting in line ups. Using the toilet is no different than a regular one with a knife or ball valve.

If we were staying for extended time in one area, we would drop the TC and use the truck for transport to explore or travel to trail heads etc. Many times we would take the full or partially full tank with us and empty it into the many facilities that were in the area.

The cassette toilet helped us achieve our goal of being able to stay out longer in boondock situations.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie,

So wrong! Drain fields usually have 8" to 12" of dirt over them. I have 2 of them here, another at our place up north in Michigan, and had one in Florida near WPB. NONE have even as much as 12" of dirt over the stones. My brother in Jupiter Florida just west of I-95 also has one at his very expensive home with 1-3/4 acres of fenced in property they had built 13 years ago. No way could you have the drain field any deeper as it would be flooded because the water table is so high. Actually, the dirt was added on top of his drain field as the top of it was level with the surrounding ground before the dirt was spread on top of it. The water table is so high in most of South Florida that you cannot drain the water out of an in ground pool because the pool will pop out of the ground from the very high water table. The sealed pool becomes a boat hull and floats! You in Minnesota do not have this problem.

BTW, just how far down in the ground do you think the top of your septic tank is if you have one. All of ours are 3" to 4" under the surface as I've scrapped the dirt off to get to the approx 2' X 2' lid and had them pumped when needed or every 5-8 years. Just 2 of us living in the places as we are long retired, like 17 years now. If more people are living there and adding sewage means more often having it pumped out.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
travelnutz wrote:
Mike Up,

And just where do you think the septic tank flow goes when it flows out as new sewage comes in? The drainfield only about a foot under the ground surface of course.

!

Septic tanks don't just hold the waste until it gets to the drain field. They begin the break down process on the solids. Also the drain field is more then a foot underground. And it is specially designed using the right types of soils to continue the process.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
In MN you would get in big trouble if you dump human waste on the ground or into a hole.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Mike Up,

Just a very quick 15 second search turned up this link. One of many!

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/backcountry-waste-disposal.html

Start with section: First, a word about number one and continue as it's well explained. Many states recognize this proceedure for personal human waste disposal including Michigan where my sister's son was a ranger for many years as I'd said. Does't mean dumping your RV holding tank in as it's for personal human waste disposal. Yes, some states have different laws and regulations and it's up to you to know the laws of the state you going to dump your small portable toilet in. Want more links? do your own research as you obviously have a computer etc connected to the Internet or your wouldn't be reading or posting on the rv.net forum!

Seems you are the one who's nuts!

As I thought, you can't provide a link to each state's website, stating that those states allow this disgusting craziness.

You've proven our point.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up,

Just a very quick 15 second search turned up this link. One of many!

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/backcountry-waste-disposal.html

Start with section: First, a word about number one and continue as it's well explained. Many states recognize this proceedure for personal human waste disposal including Michigan where my sister's son was a ranger for many years as I'd said. Does't mean dumping your RV holding tank in as it's for personal human waste disposal. Yes, some states have different laws and regulations and it's up to you to know the laws of the state you going to dump your small portable toilet in. Want more links? do your own research as you obviously have a computer etc connected to the Internet or your wouldn't be reading or posting on the rv.net forum!

Seems you are the one who's nuts!
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
westend,

As usual your fingers are poking keys without your brain engaged.

Just where do you think dispersed tent campers or campers on back country National Parks, State Parks, National Forests, State forests, BLM land, etc are going to HAVE to deposit their HUMAN waste excreta? Tell me boy!

Yup according to your cherry picked blabber, distance hikers far out back or even half way up a mountain tent campers or at the top of a mountain, and/or RV's with portable toilets that are totally full and are 50+ miles from any so called waste water plant or approved on site waste water system must not empty them or excrete any human waste at all, or if they must as nature dictates beyond a persons control, must they bag or container it and carry it with them until they get to a so called approved waste water location? Are you even awake or conscious?

Dumping in and approved toilet or septic system is exactly what I had said but NOT always possible! Bad news for your is that in a time of actual need, the digging of a hole per the rules in a remote location on public land away from human activity in the USA and reburying it properly and replacing the top soil layer is regarded as legal and an APPROVED method of disposal of human waste excreta. Go ask and Park Ranger (WE HAVE!) about it as you simply do NOT even have a clue! Try getting smart and away from your keyboard sometime, maybe you too will learn!

Of course, you cannot do it in a confined national monument or daytime small confined location as it refers to camping locations only, and that is obvious to those with a functioning brain.

As for waste oil from any of my vehicles or boats etc, I have no info as to where they dispose of the used oil when they change my engine oil. Don't play mister protective environment director when you don't even have a clue!

BTW, where does petroleum even come from? The sky? The water in the oceans? Lakes? Septic Tanks, An approved waste water plant, The moon? or last resort - from IN the ground? DUH!

You're nuts, provide a link to Indiana and other surrounding, populous states.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
can't we all just get along?
bumpy

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
westend,

As usual your fingers are poking keys without your brain engaged.

Just where do you think dispersed tent campers or campers on back country National Parks, State Parks, National Forests, State forests, BLM land, etc are going to HAVE to deposit their HUMAN waste excreta? Tell me boy!

Yup according to your cherry picked blabber, distance hikers far out back or even half way up a mountain tent campers or at the top of a mountain, and/or RV's with portable toilets that are totally full and are 50+ miles from any so called waste water plant or approved on site waste water system must not empty them or excrete any human waste at all, or if they must as nature dictates beyond a persons control, must they bag or container it and carry it with them until they get to a so called approved waste water location? Are you even awake or conscious?

Dumping in and approved toilet or septic system is exactly what I had said but NOT always possible! Bad news for your is that in a time of actual need, the digging of a hole per the rules in a remote location on public land away from human activity in the USA and reburying it properly and replacing the top soil layer is regarded as legal and an APPROVED method of disposal of human waste excreta. Go ask and Park Ranger (WE HAVE!) about it as you simply do NOT even have a clue! Try getting smart and away from your keyboard sometime, maybe you too will learn!

Of course, you cannot do it in a confined national monument or daytime small confined location as it refers to camping locations only, and that is obvious to those with a functioning brain.

As for waste oil from any of my vehicles or boats etc, I have no info as to where they dispose of the used oil when they change my engine oil. Don't play mister protective environment director when you don't even have a clue!

BTW, where does petroleum even come from? The sky? The water in the oceans? Lakes? Septic Tanks, An approved waste water plant, The moon? or last resort - from IN the ground? DUH!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Mike Up,

And just where do you think the septic tank flow goes when it flows out as new sewage comes in? The drainfield only about a foot under the ground surface of course. You are wrong about getting fined in most states, public forests, larger National or state parks as my sister's son worked for several decades in Michigan State Parks and then I Sleeping Bear Lakeshore National Park before retiring and He is the one who told us it was legal to do the dig and dump and replace properly and legally and even showed me the written law stating so.

I/we have in the past passed this info on to so mamy others and not one has ever said they had even been as much as hassled by any law inforcement, DRN, or Rangers. Try to convince somebody else as we know better!

Yes, we always but and use with the swing out dump spout and NEVER made any mess or spills and always flush the toilet until it's clean clear water. Always also use a disolving toilet chemical and shake the waste tank before dumping and everything that comes out is always liquid and not chunks. How fast you dump the waste tank into the toilet dictates any possibility of splashes. Do it right with the waste tank spout down the the toilet water level and you have zero problems or splashes! Never hear any gripes from people who do it right so some people msust be smarter than others!

As per usual, you are flaunting laws of the land and advising others incorrectly. I'm sure Mike knows what can and can't be done regarding his waste.

Here is a paragraph from the National Park service on disposal of human waste:
Human Excreta Disposal
The disposal of human excreta or waste is regulated by the federal Resource
Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and the Clean Water Act(16). These
regulations require human waste to be properly disposed to protect human
health. It is prohibited to dump waste on the ground, in surface waters, or in
a landfill. Proper disposal requires human waste to be disposed at an approved
wastewater treatment plant or approved on site wastewater system.

Now you can also tell others your views about waste oil disposal.:M
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike Up, yes it is an elec. porta-potty. It's not a true cassette , I was thinking cassette as a general term for portable toilet.

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up,

And just where do you think the septic tank flow goes when it flows out as new sewage comes in? The drainfield only about a foot under the ground surface of course. You are wrong about getting fined in most states, public forests, larger National or state parks as my sister's son worked for several decades in Michigan State Parks and then I Sleeping Bear Lakeshore National Park before retiring and He is the one who told us it was legal to do the dig and dump and replace properly and legally and even showed me the written law stating so.

I/we have in the past passed this info on to so mamy others and not one has ever said they had even been as much as hassled by any law inforcement, DRN, or Rangers. Try to convince somebody else as we know better!

Yes, we always but and use with the swing out dump spout and NEVER made any mess or spills and always flush the toilet until it's clean clear water. Always also use a disolving toilet chemical and shake the waste tank before dumping and everything that comes out is always liquid and not chunks. How fast you dump the waste tank into the toilet dictates any possibility of splashes. Do it right with the waste tank spout down the the toilet water level and you have zero problems or splashes! Never hear any gripes from people who do it right so some people msust be smarter than others!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
I have room for both. The 6 gal.floor lock-mounted cassette extends our stays at places where we do not have sewer hookups . We visit a lot of friends and use their property as a campsite, the 2nd cassette toilet works well and enables us to use a dump station a lot less often. Its a "Curve" cassette with electric (battery) flush.

That looks more like an electric flush porta potty more than a cassette toilet. Many Porta potties come with mounting gear.