cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Time Across Country to Grand Canyon

VA_Family
Explorer
Explorer
We are a family of four and we have had a used A class Warrior RV about a year now and have taken 4 -5 weekend trips. Our goal was to do this to learn "how camp in a RV" in preparation to drive across country this summer. Our trip begins in VA and we want to go through Mansfield, MO to Laura Ingalls Wilders home and Independence, KS. The next stops would be the Mesa Verde, Antelope Canyon, Wahweap and then down towards the Grand Canyon. We are thinking about returning back home using "Rte 66" with a stop in Memphis.
We have about two weeks to complete this journey and I know it will be hot (don't have much of a choice with school and work) in August. I have been using Roadtrippers.com to build an itinerary. Here are some concerns/questions that we have:
1. Do we take our dog (Basenj/19 lbs/'8 years old)? I know the Grand Canyon Railway RV park has kennels for the day. Has anyone used them? Have you left the dog in the RV with generator running the a/c while at a sightseeing stop that doesn't allow pets? We do have a cat but we are thinking of leaving her with Grandma! She likes to escape out of the RV.
2. Best RV area for Grand Canyon..little concerned about no hook ups at National Parks and if they run out of sites. Railroad RV park/Bedrock Flintstone RV park/Sedona/Flagstaff..not sure which one to pick. We would like to do an afternoon a Slide Rock.
3. Not much to stop at between Independence, KS and Morefield Campground at Mesa Verde..Any suggestions for roads, how far to drive a day, campgrounds. Also we are used to driving in mountains. Gas mileage stinks and takes us longer than by car of course Do you make better time in the midwest? How many miles can you average a day (thinking no more than 8 hrs a day on some stretches without stops, may be unrealistic)?
4. Any must see stops driving back east? We are thinking Petrified forest, Cadillac Ranch, Memphis.
I am sure there is something that I am forgetting to ask.
48 REPLIES 48

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I agree. There are things to see everywhere, especially once you get to CO. You are asking a lot to make to the GC and back in 2 weeks.

This post is around a year old. If you read their reply post a couple posts up you'll see that they did the trip and loved it! ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. There are things to see everywhere, especially once you get to CO. You are asking a lot to make to the GC and back in 2 weeks.

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
VA Family -- can you share your route and stops?
We are in the finishing stages of planning our long trip this summer...Mesa Verde and Lake Powell (Antelope) are currently being debated!!
Thank you!
Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
2013 Sierra 3500HD Duramax CC SRW SB 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount

VA_Family
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to say that we traded our little warrior for a 34 foot class a and we had 2 1/2 weeks of trip of a lifetime. We fell asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillow each night but every day was an adventure and I am so glad we did it. Mesa Verde was one of our favorite places and Antelope Canyon. Eating ice cream on the Grand Canyon rim was wonderful! The views from the rv were well worth every mile we drove.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know exactly where you are in Va but if you take I-40 it will take you ~35 hrs to get to Williams AZ. I recommend the KOA in Williams. It is close to the depot for the train ride if you are planning on taking that as well.

It will be a lot of driving to do in 2 weeks. It can be done but I would go straight to Williams, do what I wanted to there and then start back and hit the things you want to do based on time left.

That would be less stressful IMHO.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
We're headed out that way from PA just North of you. It's going to take a solid 3.5 days to get to Winslow AZ. 60 days in AZ,UT and CO. Then when we're done 4 days to get back from Denver. We like the CB/Flying J thing so we travel all day, fuel up, then have dinner, sleep, do breakfast and repeat. Have done this before when we went to Alaska with out first stop in Glacier. Not really much sightseeing other then what you see thru the windshield.

If you haven't done New England/Maine and New Brunswick you might consider them. We did the NE thing till we retired.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum.
This is where I get slammed for suggesting you leave the MH in the driveway and fly to Az. Stay at an affordable hotel centrally located to your desired destinations and rent a car. You will have 11 days of "Vacation", you will save the wear and tear on the MH for many more short trips, you will return to work relaxed not tired, you will return with great memories of vacation, not countless hours behind the wheel. Think of everything you can do and see with 11 days IN Az.

Regardless of what you do enjoy your trip.

On Edit: If you do drive the MH the whole distance you will be in Az for what, 2 days? Then you have to turn around and start heading home.

You have 16 days. Break it down into two adventures. Spend 8 days or so to drive the MH down to a desired destination within reason. Maybe Tom Sawyer in West Memphis, Arkansas. You can do that in 8 or 9 days. The second adventure would be to fly to Az for 5 days. That's 3 days exploring Az. One day more than you would of had if you drove. Return home Saturday evening. This gives you a day to prepare for the reality of Monday morning.

Just making suggestions. Again, enjoy your trip.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Before retiring, we traveled to eastern NM (Carlsbad NP; Ms Huachuca loves caves) from northeastern NC at least a dozen times along with a couple of trips to the Grand Canyon and southern AZ. These were mostly done within a two week time frame with a 16' then 19' Scamp and Tacoma. Usually just the wife and me but our daughter was on the Grand Canyon visit.

On a typical trip we'd go out on I-40 with stops at Palo Duro Canyon SP, Guadalupe Mountain NP, Carlsbad Caverns NP and Big Bend NP. Then head home on I-10 through Baton Rouge (visit BIL) and back to NC. Certainly not ideal, but we love the southwest and could only take two weeks off from our jobs.

I've always enjoyed driving and never found it tiresome but you'll have to make the call based on your comfort level.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Hello VA Family and welcome to the forum. We took two weeks and traveled to the Grand Canyon from Kansas City for a round trip distance of about 2800 miles. Unfortunately you are so far east your round trip distance has to be pushing 4800 miles. Doable but forget ideas of seeing/doing anything but driving and then a couple days at the GC. Frankly if you do not already have a rez at Trailer Village I would abort and reschedule when you can get availability there. HUGE time savings staying there especially if you only have a few days.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
VA Family wrote:

Thanks for this information. 330 miles at 7 hours driving helps our perspective. I found a free calculator website that calculates driving time with average speed, time zones, etc. Typically, in car road trips we leave between 3 -4 am, which the kids can sleep. Seems to be that a 8.5 hour car drive will turn into a 12.5 hour rv drive with a few stops for gas and at an average of 50 mph. We were thinking about driving as many hours as possible on the way out with just 2 sightseeing stops and sleeping stops until we got to the CO/AZ area.

Ltook over this map, stops might or might not work but they give you an idea.

Bing Map map

So that's how you do 1,650 miles to Colorado in 3.5 days so with 3.5 days back you now have 9 Great Days in the West/Rockies.

Best of luck,

3.5 + 3.5 =7 7+9=16 That is more than 2 weeks. Did I miss something?

Must have;

Leave Friday after work (1) Sat-Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed-Thur-Fri(8)-Sat-Sun -Mon-Tues-Wed-Thur-Fri-(15)Sat-Sun-(16.5-17):S

Some people will count Friday as a full day but I usually only count it as 1/2 day so actually 16.5:W

If we use your math 7 days = a week and 4 weeks = a month then we would have 13 months ? Right 52/4=13 :S

So does that mean those extra 28 days don't count?:?

Now I'm Confused :@

Think it must be the New Math.

I get the count but a week is 14 days? I agree it will take longer than 14 days to be feasible.
The real question is does the OP have more than 14 days available?

Sure Hope so - Three weeks or 23 days would really make it Better - but - You do what you can. If the Driver is "Crazy" (I have done this more times than I can Count) the Kids will love it, remember it and never forget it - One of mine lives in Colorado now, so, it does work.

This family did it - and they all now live on the Left Coast!

The good thing is they have a Motor Home and the Kids can sleep and Play while the Driving is being done. Because of Sports and Work we were only able to do 2 MotorHome trips, before college, the rest were fly out rent a car fly back. So I have gained a little of the knowledge/frustration of trying to do it all, and have the utmost respect for the parents who play SuperMom&Dad.

Just go for it! 7 days or 9 days, 14 days or 16 days, at least they are out there.

Do IT!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Busskipper wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
VA Family wrote:

Thanks for this information. 330 miles at 7 hours driving helps our perspective. I found a free calculator website that calculates driving time with average speed, time zones, etc. Typically, in car road trips we leave between 3 -4 am, which the kids can sleep. Seems to be that a 8.5 hour car drive will turn into a 12.5 hour rv drive with a few stops for gas and at an average of 50 mph. We were thinking about driving as many hours as possible on the way out with just 2 sightseeing stops and sleeping stops until we got to the CO/AZ area.

Bing Map map

So that's how you do 1,650 miles to Colorado in 3.5 days so with 3.5 days back you now have 9 Great Days in the West/Rockies.

Best of luck,

Must have;

Leave Friday after work (1) Sat-Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed-Thur-Fri(8)-Sat-Sun -Mon-Tues-Wed-Thur-Fri-(15)Sat-Sun-(16.5-17):S

Some people will count Friday as a full day but I usually only count it as 1/2 day so actually 16.5:W

If we use your math 7 days = a week and 4 weeks = a month then we would have 13 months ? Right 52/4=13 :S

I get the count but a week is 14 days? I agree it will take longer than 14 days to be feasible.
The real question is does the OP have more than 14 days available?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
VA Family wrote:

Bing Map map

Best of luck,

Must have;

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Busskipper wrote:
VA Family wrote:

Bing Map map

Best of luck,

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
VA Family wrote:

Look over this map, stops might or might not work but they give you an idea.

Bing Map map

Long first night stopping after Midnight in the Zanesville, Wal*Mart for the night. Then up and at them for another long 12 hour day. You will be toast but the kids will survive as they will have slept on a lot of the drive. Next stop is the Hannibal or Macon Missouri Wal*Mart for another late arrival and if it's still light we enjoyed some outside time on the swings, with the Granddaughters, at the Macon WM. Then on to Prairie Dog State Park link , short day to recharge - lake water little fun then on to Clear Creek in Golden Clear CreekGolden.

Plan your time - Have Fun - sometimes the name brand stuff can just wait - the fun stuff is, JUST MORE FUN! Enjoy Colorado and a little of Utah

You can do it, the kids will love it, you will need to get back to work to rest.

Done it - DO it - just think it - I WILL!

Best of luck,

On edit - The reason I suggest stops in the Wal*Mart's, are so you can "Get UP Early" or "Arrive Late" and not disturb the whole Campground. I have found over the years that the Wal*Mart stop when going out or coming back just makes it easier/safer/faster, they have lights - security - cameras - a good store. They don't have campers trying to get a FULL night's sleep or hidden Rocks on the turns/corners to mess up an otherwise good trip.(JMHO)
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04