cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

surge protector????

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
I was checking the camping world website for surge protectors. When I checked the reviews I saw a lot of them did not protect. A couple of reviews said they actually damaged equipment in the RV. What is your experience????
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel
22 REPLIES 22

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely go Progressive Industries. We have ours hardwired with the remote inside the coach. I have it set on ~ 2 min delay to give everything time to reset if needed. Personally I would not travel without one especially in some of the older cg's and those cg's that are exposed to harsh environments like coastal cg's. Sometimes that salty air plays funny tricks inside the breaker boxes.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Doss wrote:
looked at the Surge Guard on amazon
I will spend some money but not sure I am down with a $350 surge protector.
They do have the non lcd version for $96

I'd go non LCD. No point in $350 for the same job.

the point folks here are trying to make is that they do NOT do the same job. if they did, none of the $365 ones would get sold.
think MULTI-FUNCTION.
bumpy

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
X1 million on the Progressive.

I'm here at a RV park in Mexico and my 50A fixed PI not only protected me from the repeated overvoltage, but after they fixed that, it protected me from a huge overload on an underrated CB, which caused the entire park to get a huge spike and sparks everywhere. Equipment in several RVs was ruined (but the RV park owner bought them new - kind of unusual), but mine was shut off by the PI as soon as it started so I only lost a SWiM PSU for the satellite. Probably from the repeated abuse over the preceding weeks. Had a spare.

The PI also has removable surge and spike devices so if you do get a huge spike, you just replace that board and you're good again. For free!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Industries surge protector without a doubt the way to go. Their lifetime warranty is for real - replaced or repaired mine twice due to water inside at NO cost (actually likely my fault) and after many years, I just had the pigtail replaced due to torquing it in the bay, my issue for sure and at my cost. Now have a refurbished unit! The unit has saved us multiple times over the years. Will not plug in without it.

The $99 cheapies do not do what these Progressive units do. They are basically worthless. Expensive electronics require good surge protection. Well worth the initial expense. Cmon - spend the extra money to actually have protection!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I use this one and have used it on two different rvs. Having it stolen is not even a concern for me. I usually have more boze than that is worth sitting on my picnic table.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Industries = cheap insurance. We came back from an outing to find that the power to our trailer was cut off by our EMS. The EMS showed the voltage to be all over the place. This gave evidence of the problem when I reported to the owners of the RV park. The were great and brought an electrician after their handyman couldn't find the problem. The cause turned out to be a bad neutral at the power post. When the price of the PI unit is compared to the cost of the repair without it, it's a no brainer.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

2BNOT2B
Explorer
Explorer
I have the PI EMS-PT50C portable 50 amp. Cost was $313.00 on sale from Tweety's.com. They went up to $342 IMO worth it based on previous posts. Call to find out when they will have there next sale.
03, Fleetwood Expedition, 39Z
300HP Cummins, 6 Speed Allison
2013, Jeep Wrangler Sport

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Doss wrote:

If you're talking about the Model 44270, then don't bother. It doesn't protect against anything. It just has LED lights that indicate there's a problem.

The pricier units actually shut off power in case of a fault.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Doss wrote:
I will spend some money but not sure I am down with a $350 surge protector. They do have the non lcd version for $96
I'm not sure what you're looking at, but I don't think a < $100 unit is going to protect you as well as a $350 unit. If you think it does, then buy the cheaper one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doss wrote:

I'd go non LCD. No point in $350 for the same job.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
What do you want to pay? $350 now or take your chances and pay $2500 minimum later. You are buying protection so buy the right protection not just the cheapest.

Get an EMS that does more than block spikes. Low voltage causes heat damage to items.

102 volts is too low. Anything below 105 and you will incur heat damage to some items.

As other said, get a PI. The warranty is for life so that says something about how long they expect their product to work. Their low cutoff is 104v. Compare and you will likely see that the PI is well worth the cost.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Doss wrote:

I would guess that that $96 version is not a multi=function surge protector. fairly useless piece of equipment.
bumpy

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Permanent Surge Guard 120-240V Hardwire 50 Amp 34560 in ours it was about $230 but if you had the Remote LCD for inside the coach that adds another $90 and puts it about the same cost, but you get all the protection for $230 even if you don't add the remote as it has LED on the unit to tell you what is happening without the remote.
Automatically shuts off the power when excessive voltage, Low (less than 102 Volt) and High (greater than 132 Volt), or open neutral is present. Automatic reset on power restoration. Caution indicator light indicates miswired pedestal, reverse polarity and elevated ground voltage. 2 minute 15 second reset delay protects A/C compressor. Fits neatly inside RVยดs electrical compartment. 120/240 Volt, 50 Amp unit offers 3,850 Joules of power surge protection.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

2Fliers
Explorer
Explorer
$350 for a Progressive protector is bargain compared to replacing all of your electronics. It has reported faults at least 4 times that have saved me from potential damage. Just last week I got a low voltage fault for below 104v in an almost empty CG in VA.
Mary Gail and Bobby
Sold the Truck - got a Jeep
Sold the Toy Hauler - getting a tent