cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to change Allison Transmission oil

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
It's been 53K miles and 10 yrs time on my present allison transmission " synthetic oil". Would you recommend an oil change due to the 10 yrs time?
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
10 REPLIES 10

Papaalfa
Explorer
Explorer
I took mine to Allison Shop at 50K- and 10 year coach - where they took a sample of fluid and was advised that I should have the transmission re-sampled at 70K.
Jerry & Anna
Retired Navy
07 Phaeton by Tiffin 40 QDH
2013 Ford Edge

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
I'd have it analyzed first, It may not need changing.

That's what I would do.
2014 American Eagle

jayw900
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Modern trans oils last a LOT longer than years past. If it is in your 2002 you may want to have that checked out. Many modern vehicles (like Toyotas) have sealed transmissions even because the oil is so good.

Don't kid yourself, sealed, unserviceable transmissions are a terrible idea.
Sent from my laptop with 100% renewable electrons.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Modern trans oils last a LOT longer than years past. If it is in your 2002 you may want to have that checked out. Many modern vehicles (like Toyotas) have sealed transmissions even because the oil is so good.

Yep, they figured our they can make more money selling transmissions than they do selling filters and gaskets.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the same position 66K and 9 years old. I'm going to change the trans fluid at 70k only because it makes me feel good; Like I change the engine oil every 5K to make me feel good.

I do change the spark plugs every 50K and put a ton of anti-seize on them - I had 2 plugs snap on an engine which had 80K - a night mare to rectify
Gerry

C20
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 08 and did the change at 50K. The analysis had some high readings, so i'm going to do the next one at 80K and see how it looks, nothing alarming, just suggesed a more frequent oil change.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 2005 is when Allison switched to Transynd fluid and the extended change interval. If that is what you put in 10 years ago, you should be OK. If DEX III was put back in your transmission, since that is what it came with, I would change it and the filter.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.allisontransmission.com/

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I'd have it analyzed first, It may not need changing.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992