cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter

salem
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has sit since the first week of January. Today I plugged it in to get ready for a trip next Monday. I noticed the converter is humming. Is this normal? I've noticed it before when camping, but I guess I haven't noticed it when I first plug in to electricity. The converter is only about a year old. Is it just recharging the batteries?
18 REPLIES 18

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Wa8xym:

Really appreciate your effort to allay my concerns. I've always paid attention to your posts. Thanks to all of you who posted.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To the comment "Converters run when first plugged in" delete the word FIRST.
They run WHENEVER they are plugged in but the fan may or may not run, even if it is NOT plugged in, it's a 12 volt fan and on a T-Stat

To the comment "When the hum stops it's bad" may or may not be true, fans turn on and off based on how hot the thing is so once the batteries are full... They stop

Took a look at several WFCO converter products.. They do have a iron core transformer but it's not all that big so But on a "Replaced last summer" I doubt that is the source of the hum.. Fan most likely and simply cooled enough to turn off.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
I guess it was just charging the batteries.

And I guess you are just going to ignore the advice from a few of us to have your batteries tested ? and to get a meter ??

When was the last time that you checked the water level ???
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

salem
Explorer
Explorer
It has stopped humming. Maybe it's always done that when first plugged in to electricity and I just never noticed. I guess it was just charging the batteries. Hey, fellas, thanks for all your comments. Leaving for the coast Monday.:)

red31
Explorer
Explorer
How long was storage and did you top them off from time to time?

Batteries self discharge.

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I have two 6v Interstate batteries that will be three years old in May. The converter, a WFCO, was installed last summer.

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Humming is a good thing.... its charging. but if the Humming never stop.
your battery is not holding a charge. I would have battery tested..
good luck
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The converter is always on when powered with 120V. If it sees a discharged battery and is a multistage charger, it will output the most current it can. After charging for many hours and the batteries are completely charged, the converter will lower it's output and, if a multistage charger, will revert to a float voltage and current.

For more focused advice, you can tell us what converter and how many batteries of what type you have.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
does the converter normally run for a while when first plugged in?
It runs all the time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
My question is, does the converter normally run for a while when first plugged in?

The converter "runs" all the time that it's plugged into shore power; it just runs harder when first connected after a period of battery use or non-use storage.
That makes the hum more pronounced.

But this may also mean that your batteries are getting weak.....because they should not have lost much charge during that time if disconnected.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
Is it just recharging the batteries?

Everyone who owns an RV needs a multi-meter.
Nobody else can answer this question for you.

IF....you have been in the habit of letting it sit for months without throwing a disconnect switch or manually disconnecting the batteries or connecting a charger/tender......your batteries are probably toast.

There are about a million posts on here about the care and feeding of batteries. Have you read any of them ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
I always disconnect the batteries when parked at home. My question is, does the converter normally run for a while when first plugged in?

Yes.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are 3 sources of noise in converters
1: Most all of them have a fan, IF the trailer has been sitting for "Some time" (months) the batteries have self discharged (not to mention parasitic loads that never get shut off) and they are very hungry, in fact they are likely damaged, The converter will work hard to bring 'em back up and thus it will need to fan itself.. NOTE in some installs just sunlight is enough to fire up the fan.

2: Some older converters have big, heavy, iron core, power transformers.. These cores are made up of many many leaves of thing pressed iron, varnished together, well over time the varnish dries and flakes away and when you plug in the leaves vibrate,, and thus hummmmmmmmmm

3: This one is more likely a "HISS" than a HUMM.. it's TROUBLE.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I always disconnect the batteries when parked at home. My question is, does the converter normally run for a while when first plugged in?