cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going RV

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone watch this show? It is on GAC channel. It is pretty interesting what the salespeople show people for the tow vehicle they are planning to use.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.
33 REPLIES 33

ajk170
Explorer
Explorer
We too like seeing the different units and like many others have said, realize this is semi-scripted with people that were previous buyers etc. There are a lot of odd questions and the one that gets us the most is the fascination with the awnings!

I will admit we were similar to many you see on the show when we bought our first travel trailer- didn't know anything (though the DW grew up around CL A&Cs so we thought we knew everything)had money to spend and an undersized truck to pull it! We've grown up a little in the last few years and learned a thing or two. Still like the show even through it's fake on various levels.

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I have every episode recorded and watch when nothing else is on that I like. I just like seeing the different units.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
work2much wrote:
laknox wrote:
work2much wrote:
People have different talents. Not everyone is mechanically inclined. At a very young age they have found a way through blogging/social media to travel extensively in North America in an RV and now sail the world in their private yacht. If living that dream is idiotic than sign me up and call me a box of rocks.

I still like the couple that sold their businesses, homes and almost everything else they owned, bought a Grumman Albatross, and converted it to a flying RV. Both were high-time pilots and they spent over a year flying around the western U.S., landing on both lakes and runways, to become truly proficient with that bird. Goal was to fly around the world, vacationing wherever they felt like it. ๐Ÿ™‚

FWIW, the reason they chose the Albatross was twofold. 1) It's one of the only amphibs whose landing gear can be extended while it's in the water; it's watertight. 2) It has full beta range (reversing) props. These would allow them to land on water, drop the gear, turn tail-first to the shoreline, then literally back up the beach to get on solid ground.

Lyle

The Fetko's. Unfortunately John was killed in and aircraft accident a few years ago. His wife survived. It wasn't in their Albatross. I've seen video of their plane. Pretty awesome set up.

Wow! I hadn't heard that. Too bad... I grew up in a flying family, so love all aspects of flying, even though I never got my ticket (d@mmit!)

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
csamayfield55 wrote:
The thing to remember, it is a show!!! Kinda like watching HGTV,it is not real life. Those people have already bought the trailer or coach they wanted it is all just for show. We watch it just to see the models and try and ignore the dumb people

Chris

Oh no, say it ain't so.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
work2much wrote:
People have different talents. Not everyone is mechanically inclined. At a very young age they have found a way through blogging/social media to travel extensively in North America in an RV and now sail the world in their private yacht. If living that dream is idiotic than sign me up and call me a box of rocks.

I still like the couple that sold their businesses, homes and almost everything else they owned, bought a Grumman Albatross, and converted it to a flying RV. Both were high-time pilots and they spent over a year flying around the western U.S., landing on both lakes and runways, to become truly proficient with that bird. Goal was to fly around the world, vacationing wherever they felt like it. ๐Ÿ™‚

FWIW, the reason they chose the Albatross was twofold. 1) It's one of the only amphibs whose landing gear can be extended while it's in the water; it's watertight. 2) It has full beta range (reversing) props. These would allow them to land on water, drop the gear, turn tail-first to the shoreline, then literally back up the beach to get on solid ground.

Lyle

The Fetko's. Unfortunately John was killed in and aircraft accident a few years ago. His wife survived. It wasn't in their Albatross. I've seen video of their plane. Pretty awesome set up.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
We like seeing all the different models. Seems like they do a this ones too big, this ones too small and this one is just right formula. Also like to see what are deal breakers for some people. One guy insisted the trailer have outside speakers. One of the trailers they looked at was perfect except no outdoor speakers. I thought how dumb. Get a Bose Bluetooth speaker and you can have your outdoor speakers anywhere.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
work2much wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RVBlade
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
laknox wrote:
Bipeflier wrote:
For entertainment value only. Salesmen (?) never mention different fabrics, etc. that are available.

I don't believe they are doing the RV industry any favors with this show.

What brands are "featured"? Any bets on whether all the brands shown are from the same holding company? Yeah, I didn't think so...

Lyle

Pretty varied actually. The shows are filmed at actual rv dealers with real salespeople (i have gone to dealer web sights and seen the same salesperson) so in some cases the same manufacturer is present in all three choices.

I think the show is partially scripted and dumbed down to make 1/2 hour show possible. I think there is probably quite a bit more time and effort that goes into the buyers decision than we see on the show, but as one poster pointed out people really do dwell on the dumbest things. In the end I do believe that the people on the show are real and not actors and the purchases are actual.

I watch it simply because I like looking at all of the different units.

My DW knows people that were on one episode. It's very scripted. They had already bought their unit and were chosen/asked to come back for the filming. And they said they were absolutely exhausted by the end of the day. Kept having to do multiple takes on each of the sections.
2005 Ford F350 CC Lariat DRW
2012 Sanibel 3400
DW & DS (10)
Ceaser (our 140 lb Bull Mastiff) & Sake' (our 135 lb Akita)

work2much
Explorer
Explorer

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
firemedic08 wrote:
work2much wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
It's a very staged program. I even found the Facebook pages for some of the 'buyers' and there is no mention of the new RV. Those people in the show never bought the RV. Show is a scripted fake.

Not sure if that's entirely true. One episode profiled the Wynn's who have a youtube channel that shows the rv they bought in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gonewiththewynns

Pretty entertaining vlog.

I subscribe to their channel. I love them.

Watched one blog where that idiot couldn't work a freakin plug in air compressor and hoped they would be stuck in Alaska forever!! They are both dumb as a box of rocks

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

firemedic08
Explorer
Explorer
I was upset when they moved to the boat at first, but now its just an RV on the water. lol
Donnie
1994 Chevy 2500 Extended cab
1987 28 ft travel villa 5th wheel.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
firemedic08 wrote:
work2much wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
It's a very staged program. I even found the Facebook pages for some of the 'buyers' and there is no mention of the new RV. Those people in the show never bought the RV. Show is a scripted fake.

Not sure if that's entirely true. One episode profiled the Wynn's who have a youtube channel that shows the rv they bought in the show.

Me too. They have quite the solar set up.

firemedic08
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
azdryheat wrote:

Donnie
1994 Chevy 2500 Extended cab
1987 28 ft travel villa 5th wheel.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
work2much wrote:
laknox wrote:
Bipeflier wrote:
For entertainment value only. Salesmen (?) never mention different fabrics, etc. that are available.

I don't believe they are doing the RV industry any favors with this show.

What brands are "featured"? Any bets on whether all the brands shown are from the same holding company? Yeah, I didn't think so...

Lyle

Pretty varied actually. The shows are filmed at actual rv dealers with real salespeople (i have gone to dealer web sights and seen the same salesperson) so in some cases the same manufacturer is present in all three choices.

I think the show is partially scripted and dumbed down to make 1/2 hour show possible. I think there is probably quite a bit more time and effort that goes into the buyers decision than we see on the show, but as one poster pointed out people really do dwell on the dumbest things. In the end I do believe that the people on the show are real and not actors and the purchases are actual.

I'm talking about Thor, Forest River or Keystone, as the Big 3 of the RV world (since Lemonis hasn't bought an RV manufacturer...yet). I could easily see one of them producing a show like this and, with the number of brands each one produces, especially Thor, nobody but the most astute watcher would figure this out.

Lyle

Possible, also have seen Grand Design, Airstream, Winnebago, variety of diesel pushers. The show is produced by RIVR Media which produces a ton of reality shows. I think the rigs they show depend on the dealer being profiled that week and what brands they carry. Makes sense that the most prevalent manufacturers would be seen more. Do the big three secretly help pay for the shows to be better represented? I suppose it's possible.