cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Private RV lot

mikec88
Explorer
Explorer
I vacation in Western North Carolina in the summer and winter in Eastern South Carolina in my RV. I prefer the quiet of my own space and am contemplating buying a small piece of land in each location and putting utilities on it. I have no plans to rent it out when I am not using it. Has anyone else done this? What should I be concerned with if I do this?
19 REPLIES 19

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Chrisatthebeach wrote:
Jasper County SC, the last one before you hit GA has no real regulations. Everywhere you see the a single RV on a lot, in some areas more than one.
Guys from Florida set up entire hunting camps, some without a single frame structure, just campers under pole barn.

People have a construction pole put up, then a shed or pole barn and then comes the RV. The local well guys, you pay them they drill and install the pump, same with septic.

There are also many old home sites with the house falling in or long gone for sale, people buy these and do the same. Most of these already have well and septic.

Chris

We have rode motorcycle all over the USA, some of them look like a junkyard for RV's then you look again and see people are living there.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Jasper County SC, the last one before you hit GA has no real regulations. Everywhere you see the a single RV on a lot, in some areas more than one.
Guys from Florida set up entire hunting camps, some without a single frame structure, just campers under pole barn.

People have a construction pole put up, then a shed or pole barn and then comes the RV. The local well guys, you pay them they drill and install the pump, same with septic.

There are also many old home sites with the house falling in or long gone for sale, people buy these and do the same. Most of these already have well and septic.

Chris
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, I live in Cherokee County NC. You can find small acreage here that is not restricted, so you can use for camping. When getting electric, you will have to have an approved sanitation disposal plan. If using a 55 gallon barrel, you will be facing a fine! Just because you are in the open does not release you from sanitation rules.

mikec88
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Guy and everyone. Very useful information. Would anyone consider just leasing the land from someone rather than buying it?

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a great idea !

For what it is worth,(from experience) I know in Mitchell County in the NC mountains you could do it with no problem, but prior to getting electricity you have to get a septic system installed and that requires the board of health doing a perk test and then showing you where it goes.

Start with the building inspector and he will tell you what it entails.
Other than the cost of a septic system, your total cost would be the board of health permit cost, the building inspectors permit, (that would be for your electric service), and your electric pole and cost.

Guy

RespondingBack
Explorer
Explorer
Look for off-grid ideas to keep costs down from lack of utilities. Your RV may already have everything needed, with just some way to supplement for long-term dry camping.

As suggested, solar for electric. Generator for big loads.

If no water well, can get a water tanker periodically. If in area where permissible, rainwater harvesting. Or if near a water source, load up periodically if permitted or for a fee (Just don't do a Tom Selleck water hydrant tanker fill.).

In lieu of a septic system, go with a composting toilet and graywater disposal system. This is better for environment.

Propane tank.

More difficult is Internet access. Worst case, satellite.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
At least around here, getting a septic system designed, permitted, and installed to the satisfaction of the state is generally a five-figure process, or very nearly so. Burying a 55 gallon drum or three and burying them would definitely not cut it. The laws do vary from state to state.

A big holding tank that one has pumped out from time to time might be the least expensive way, certainly with initial cost, as the engineering work is pretty much nonexistent. The ongoing operating costs would probably be higher than a septic system and leach field.

Moved from Technology Corner

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
Why not live "off the grid"? 2 or 3 kw of solar, batteries, and a small generator should suit your power needs, water? A well? And a dry well for waste water disposal.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We camp on our property in Oregon and the zoning allows us to stay a certain amount of time. We thought of putting in utilities but the monthly fees for having those utilities, even without using them, was outrageous. So we dry camp.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
We love having our own place

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I agree zoning needs to be checked.

I would like to do the same somewhere in south Florida. Somewhere far enough from the coast so I can afford it.

Be aware in NC they will likely not cut power on to a site if they know it is going to be occupied unless you have sewer / septic approved. You might be able to find a properly zoned place, install a small outbuilding and run power and water to it. Then after a bit of a wait move in the RV and deal with the sewer in your own way.

I see some Rv out in rural areas in NC but have no idea if they are legal.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Having trashy neighbors.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mikec88
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your very constructive comments.