cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Doubles

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
On my way through the Smokey Mountains I saw a Ford F350 towing a 5th wheel and a Jeep attached to the 5th wheel. I never seen anything other than a semi pull doubles. I wondered how is the braking handle? Also is this legal?
Passing the combination I saw a small bar going across the back of the 5th wheel (in between the beams) and that is what he attached the hitch that was pulling his Jeep with.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851
50 REPLIES 50

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
A 250 pulling a triple axle toy hauler is a red flag for the DOT LEO's

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
WAHitch wrote:
So after getting a reply last night by message I'm going to start a new thread when I get a chance and post details and pictures there.

That's what I was going to suggest, as hijacking other people's threads is considered rude.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

WAHitch
Explorer
Explorer
So after getting a reply last night by message I'm going to start a new thread when I get a chance and post details and pictures there.
03 F250 4X4 7.3 Super cab long bed Airlift 5000 Ultimate bags
09 Mustang 45th anni edition with pony package
14 Charger SE wife's
03 Nomad Rampage 37' 5er 3 axle toy hauler
10 Yamaha YZ250F
08 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4X4 wife's
05 Carson 2 axle 15' utility trailer

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
rosspulliam wrote:
WAHitch wrote:
Hello Everyone. I'm new to the Forums. This will actually be my first post. I'm from Florida originally and hadn't seen anything other than commercial trucks towing double till I got stationed in Cali a couple years ago. Since then we picked up a 37' 5th wheel toy hauler triple axle and a 15' open tandem axle utility trailer. I'm towing with a 2003 F250 7.3L super cab long bed that's mostly stock (for now).

I've put a lot of work into setting my rig up to safely tow double. I've done a lot of custom electrical work in addition to the physical hitch on the back of the camper.

The truck has two separate brake controllers and I set up a set of relays that are triggered by the OEM trailer wires. I used an aero space style cannon plug to run two sets of 7-way electrical connections between the truck and camper. Also added dedicated side turn signals, a manually switched hot, and a spare 12VDC hot.

Once I set up an account somewhere to host pictures I'll upload a few of my rig and build. If there is a better thread to post more build details on please let me know.

Sounds like a cool build! I'd like to see more details on what all you've done.

Yes me too!!
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

rosspulliam
Explorer
Explorer
WAHitch wrote:
Hello Everyone. I'm new to the Forums. This will actually be my first post. I'm from Florida originally and hadn't seen anything other than commercial trucks towing double till I got stationed in Cali a couple years ago. Since then we picked up a 37' 5th wheel toy hauler triple axle and a 15' open tandem axle utility trailer. I'm towing with a 2003 F250 7.3L super cab long bed that's mostly stock (for now).

I've put a lot of work into setting my rig up to safely tow double. I've done a lot of custom electrical work in addition to the physical hitch on the back of the camper.

The truck has two separate brake controllers and I set up a set of relays that are triggered by the OEM trailer wires. I used an aero space style cannon plug to run two sets of 7-way electrical connections between the truck and camper. Also added dedicated side turn signals, a manually switched hot, and a spare 12VDC hot.

Once I set up an account somewhere to host pictures I'll upload a few of my rig and build. If there is a better thread to post more build details on please let me know.

Sounds like a cool build! I'd like to see more details on what all you've done.

WAHitch
Explorer
Explorer

03 F250 4X4 7.3 Super cab long bed Airlift 5000 Ultimate bags
09 Mustang 45th anni edition with pony package
14 Charger SE wife's
03 Nomad Rampage 37' 5er 3 axle toy hauler
10 Yamaha YZ250F
08 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4X4 wife's
05 Carson 2 axle 15' utility trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brisk wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I think I may have lost a couple mph on the big grade ease of Palm Springs. Also I think I may have lost 1/2 - 1mpg.

How fast are you able to pull that grade east of Palm Springs with that load?

I tow in CA 60 and would end up down to 55 in a couple places but 60 was no problem most of the grade. Trans temp at 167 while pulling the big grades. A few times the fan would kick in but only for a few seconds and it was off. I think the temps were around 85 that day.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I think I may have lost a couple mph on the big grade ease of Palm Springs. Also I think I may have lost 1/2 - 1mpg.

How fast are you able to pull that grade east of Palm Springs with that load?
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rowekmr wrote:
35k...That's a load, good to know you have the capacity for more if needed. What kind of mpg's you get on level highway?

Cummins12V98 wrote:
Here is my weight ticket. 4 adults in cab with full fuel and DEF along with other couples personal belongings.

From Palm Springs, CA to Scottsdale, AZ and back average hand calc 8.3. CA drove 60 and AZ 65-67. Several grades along the way. So my average without the MC trailer is 9.0 with 7 the low and 10.5 the high. As they say it depends.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
35k...That's a load, good to know you have the capacity for more if needed. What kind of mpg's you get on level highway?

Cummins12V98 wrote:
Here is my weight ticket. 4 adults in cab with full fuel and DEF along with other couples personal belongings.

10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Redwoodcamper wrote:
Nice setups. Good truck for the job. Many of the toy haulers have so many compromises inside I can see why you would want to do this.

Thanks, I have no use for a TH!

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Nice setups. Good truck for the job. Many of the toy haulers have so many compromises inside I can see why you would want to do this.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III