cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Free Water

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Got some trips planned that do not have water fill up ability. Need to fill up before arriving. Dont want to travel 100+ miles or more with 66 gallons of water onboard.
Any suggestions where I should or could fill up close to destination? I understand some ranger stations allow rv'ers to fill up but don't have any other ideas.

Thanks
44 REPLIES 44

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

My problem is there is no more height available , so I need to get creative. I'll try the inline valve with a small vent hole drilled in it to limit the amount of water escaping by 20x.

I can't see much from the photo, but is there a chance that the angled panel can be loosened and a loop be pushed way up in there?

As we now know, the RV industry hasn't yet learned that water runs downhill. In your case, all that was needed was for the inlet to be mounted higher.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

No, that's why I want to block the vent line with a plug or valve that has a small ORIFICE in it to LIMIT the volume of water that flows out while still allowing it to vent and not overpressure.

I would rather it pizzle than pour.

You really don't understand. There are two 1/2" vents and one 1/2" supply line. It is that way to prevent a pressure buildup while filling. With water being supplied at 30 to 90 psi, a small vent hole will only reduce the pressure a fraction. Why would one not do it right? :h

Either we are talking two different TT's or YOU don't understand.
I have one 1" fill hose and ONE 1/2" vent hose that are both 6 inches above the top of the tank. That's why it leaks out the vent.
If I put in a ball valve I can stop the flow but it won't vent unless slightly open which is too hard to tell, therefore I can drill a small hole in it so when it's closed it can still vent like it was slightly open. If I want to FILL then I will open the valve to allow full venting.

Yes, we are talking about two different things. The water loss is usually from a pressure fill only type installation. Now that I see your photos, you have gravity fill and probably no way to pressure fill your tank. Apparently the only problem in your system is that the vent should be higher. If you could loop the vent hose up and back down, maybe that would help. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree.
My problem is there is no more height available , so I need to get creative. I'll try the inline valve with a small vent hole drilled in it to limit the amount of water escaping by 20x.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
Horizon170 wrote:
I won't leave home without a full tank of my GOOD water. Don't know what is down the road.
Empty to save fuel? What a joke.

you and I are on the same page. IMHO traveling with a full tank is one of the nice advantages of a trailer. water when you need it, no need to fill up at the campground immediately. Instead time to pull out the chair, relax and have a cold one while the campers next to you are spending time filling up with water.

and I almost always leave w/o stopping at the dump station. rather get home, unload and dump at my home dump station when convienent rather than waiting in a line at the campground.

X3!
My 5er rides better when the FW tank just forward of the axle is full!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

No, that's why I want to block the vent line with a plug or valve that has a small ORIFICE in it to LIMIT the volume of water that flows out while still allowing it to vent and not overpressure.

You really don't understand. There are two 1/2" vents and one 1/2" supply line. It is that way to prevent a pressure buildup while filling. With water being supplied at 30 to 90 psi, a small vent hole will only reduce the pressure a fraction. Why would one not do it right? :h

I have one 1" fill hose and ONE 1/2" vent hose that are both 6 inches above the top of the tank. That's why it leaks out the vent.
If I put in a ball valve I can stop the flow but it won't vent unless slightly open which is too hard to tell, therefore I can drill a small hole in it so when it's closed it can still vent like it was slightly open. If I want to FILL then I will open the valve to allow full venting.

Yes, we are talking about two different things. The water loss is usually from a pressure fill only type installation. Now that I see your photos, you have gravity fill and probably no way to pressure fill your tank. Apparently the only problem in your system is that the vent should be higher. If you could loop the vent hose up and back down, maybe that would help. Sorry for the confusion.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Seeing this picture, I had a thought. Can you make a rubber flap that hangs over the vent hole? If you attach it fairly high up and make it the right width, thickness and stiff enough, screwing the water fill cap on will pin it mostly in place. Higher pressure can still escape and when filling it the cap won't be there and it should swing out to let the air out.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
I won't leave home without a full tank of my GOOD water. Don't know what is down the road.

you and I are on the same page. IMHO traveling with a full tank is one of the nice advantages of a trailer. water when you need it, no need to fill up at the campground immediately. Instead time to pull out the chair, relax and have a cold one while the campers next to you are spending time filling up with water.

and I almost always leave w/o stopping at the dump station. rather get home, unload and dump at my home dump station when convienent rather than waiting in a line at the campground.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Agree with Old-Biscuit, just fill your tank before leaving. It is so much more convenient, than searching for water along the way. You will not notice any difference in towing by adding 550 lbs of water, unless you are already over loaded. I'd rather not have to fill water at a dump station upon arrival. It is nice to just proceed to my camp site, get set up, and relax.

Jerry

Me 3. we ALWAYS travel with a full tank. First, our home water is very good quality and taste, Second, that means when we get to a campground I don't need to fill up right away, can enjoy camping. Third, to many campgrounds potable water is safe to drink/use, but not necessarily very tasty. And finally, more than once there has been a problem with campground water service.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

That explains the physics of water gushing out on right hand turns when over 1/3 tank. Looks like orifice and or valve install coming soon.

So you want to take the chance of pressurizing the water tank? Find a way to route vents higher than the tank.

Tank at half full

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

That explains the physics of water gushing out on right hand turns when over 1/3 tank. Looks like orifice and or valve install coming soon.

So you want to take the chance of pressurizing the water tank? Find a way to route vents higher than the tank.

Tank at half full

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Well that explains it.....I just measured the top corner of the tank where the fill and vent hoses are to the vent on the outside................6"

WTF were they thinking?

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
I'm kind of confused about the concept of a water vent siphoning a tank dry.

In order for the vent to 'siphon the tank dry' there would have to be two things that I've NEVER seen on an RV.

First, the vent tube connected to the water tank would have to extend to the very bottom of the tank. They are merely attached to a nipple on the top of the tank, there is no internal component at all.

Second, the vent tube would need to extend to a point lower than the lowest point of the tank. I've never seen a vent that was even as low as the top of the tank, let alone the bottom.

You are right that draining a tank completely is not very common or even possible. However my trailer will drain it down to about 1/3-1/2 tank.
Regarding the tanks, many trailers have VERY short, but wide tanks, that are mounted directly under the floor. The connections are NOT always on top. Also, on my trailer (and many others) the vent tubes do indeed extend below the bottom of the tank.
Best bet, unless the underbelly is open, is to just put the shutoffs on the vent lines. I labeled my water fill cap and my water pump switch so I don't forget to open/close the valves.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD