cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

air compressor advice

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I recently put LT tires on my F150. I will be airing them up and down depending on whether towing from about 40-42 to 55.

I currently own one of these. Mine is a little older but basically the same:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-Volt-Car-Air-Inflator/1000092575

It works fine but takes forever. Ok for a few lbs but 10-15 will take a while. There are no specs on cfm on this one.

I was looking at these units on " sale " at HF: Coupon is out showing them at 39.99 vs 49.99 right now.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-13-hp-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-60637.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html

Specs show them at 1 cfm at 40PSI. Anyone use these or have an opinion on whether they would help much? Would I be wasting my money? I realize they will still be slow but wondering how much of an improvement to expect. Other suggestions on units that are around 50.00 or less would be appreciated?

Lowes has this one on sale and I am thinking it will do the job better but it is 100.00 plus hoses etc.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-0-8-HP-6-Gallon-150-PSI-120-Volt-Pancake-Electric-Air-Compressor/4764588

I really only need a compressor to air up the car / truck /TT tires and maybe use the blower function to clean parts etc.

Don't tell me to go to a gas station. did that last time and it cost 3.00 and the thing was a POS. I also want something small.

Sorry, could not get the last Lowes link to work. Thanks in advance
14 REPLIES 14

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
BigD629 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-CMB15-Oil-Free-Shrouded-Compressor/dp/B006CVXGR0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1490361304&sr=8-5&keywords=porter+cable+air+compressor

This one works great!

It sure does...glad I got rid of my electric compressor. This airs up my G rated tires to 110 psi in no time. Also helps that it is lighter and seems more compact than most. I've seen it as low as $80.00
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Over many years I've had many air compressors includi9ng a Black and Decker AIR STATION (Still have) and several 12 volt jobs.. They tend to be short lived and not one of them can deliver the advdrtised pressure (200-300 PSI) not one.. And on a big vehicle tire...... I should live long enough for one of those to air up my 22.5" XRVs

I have had several "Low cost" portable 120 volt Air Compressors, all short lived all junk in my opinion

And one Sears Crafstman Pancake, I think it's 6 Gallons, 150 PSI rated...... It jacks up my motor home (Harbor Freight 12 ton Jack Jack) (Bottle jack with a jackhammer pump as well as the old hand pump) It inflates tires.. It sprays paint/stain, It sands and cuts and hammers and drills and wrenches and so on

Yup, I've got a bunch of attachments

Works great

Bought it in 2006 (11 years ago) and as of last week still pumping strong

Currently in my basement storage where it lives when not in use.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BigD629
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-CMB15-Oil-Free-Shrouded-Compressor/dp/B006CVXGR0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1490361304&sr=8-5&keywords=porter+cable+air+compressor

This one works great!
2005 Foretravel U270,36', 400HP Cummins ISL
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Polaris Turbo

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the one I have now is not just 12volt. It works off 120V AC too.

I would not be carrying the new pancake with me. Just using it at home. I will carry the one I have now with me to just air up a few pounds if needed. It is very compact and portable.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight stuff is junk. Look at Home Depot, Lowes or Northern Tools. Pay for it once.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be looking at the CFM rating of the compressors. The HF ones at 0.6 CFM are pretty wimpy. The Porter Cable you linked to at Lowes at 2.6 CFM is okay. I have an older model of the Porter Cable compressor and it is flippin' loud in a CG. I bought a Viair (12 volt) for the TT and it does 2.3 CFM which works pretty good on the TT (65 psi) or truck tires (80 psi).

Any 12 volt compressor that works off a cigarette lighter plug isn't going to work well at all. One thing to watch for on 12 volt compressors is the duty cycle. An alternative to Viair, which aren't cheap, is a Q Industries MV-50. Our Viair, while much quieter than a pancake type, I still wouldn't use early in the morning in a CG. I prefer to have a 12 volt compressor. You can air up anywhere or you can pull out of a CG in the morning and air up down the road a bit.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going the $100ish pancake route, consider the Fini AirBoss that's sometimes available from Lowes (and other places). It's a similar basic idea, but packaged in more of a suitcase format with a somewhat smaller tank. I have one and it works quite nicely for what it is--builds pressure quickly, and is comparatively quiet, which is to say it's loud instead of really loud.

For filling tires, the tank size is pretty much immaterial for these small compressors.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong with 12 volt but if it has a cigar plug it is weak.
Any decent version clamps direct on the battery.

At home I have an older 120v Craftsman that does just fine.
Craftsman 3 gallon $100

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in construction for 20 years and have seen compressors of various kinds come and go. These oil less cheap pancake compressors have taken over for the most part. We used to use oiled electric ones made by Emglo that weighed every bit of 70-80 pounds. They had to be set level on the ground and the start capacitors were always going out with jobsite temp power.

These pancakes are everywhere now and are VERY easy to rebuild when they stop making pressure. The piston is just a flat disk and the piston ring is just a piece of leather sandwiched between the disks.

I've bought these compressors used for as little as $20 and they go with me when I travel. It can air up a tire in a couple minuets no problem.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I have one like Randu, from Sears, and it's always done well.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 of the PorterCable pancake compressors and they are LOUD. They will definitely do the job but your camping neighbors might not appreciate the noise early in the AM. I would bet that the HF compressors are just as loud if not louder. I now carry a Senco PC1010N compressor. It is only 0.7 CFM @ 90 PSI so it is slower than the PorterCable ones but it is way quieter. You can actually carry on a normal conversation with it running at your feet. It will get up to 135 PSI so can air up the tires on the MH with no problem. Can get it for $115, free shipping, no tax online. Easily fits into basement compartment.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the HF pancake units and it has been ok for casual use over the last year or so. One important thing that I read in a forum somewhere and did find hiding in the instructions is to break it in. Outlet fully open and run with no load for 30 min. Did that and it seemed to help.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard that the cheaper HF compressors are under-powered, but I've never tried one. I have an old Sears tankless compressor head that works great for both my tires and blowing out my water lines, but it is no longer available. The Campbell-Hausfeld model RP4100 is similar and still available at some dealers.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Sears 3 gallon very similar to your 2nd link that has worked great for me. Mine's rated to 120psi and works on my 110 psi trailer tires. Had it for over 10 years and I think it was 79.95 back in the day. I never had any luck with 12volt compressors so the 120 volt was the only way for me to go for the price. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3