cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Correct position of Topper for Slides when closed.

Norwood
Explorer
Explorer
New to this forum and new to a new to me 34.5 Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler. The used Toy Hauler had two slides without toppers, I weighted the advantage/disadvantage and decided to purchased two toppers, I will omit the brand and RV dealer installer at this point, but the dealer was a certified dealer for the brand.

Question: I purchased the vinyl when closed version, however I notice that about 6 to 8 inches of the topper is open when the slide is closed...would this be correct? would this just to allow water to collect in the vinyl protector and defeat the purpose? I think the dealer installed them wrong or has the mounting bracket reversed.

I guess I could visit a RV lot and look at closed sliders to get a better picture, but maybe some help here would be good.

So hello, RV.net Thanks in advance.

PS...I emailed the topper company customer service... five days no return email...
16 REPLIES 16

Norwood
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the helpful information and peace of mind that they are installed correctly. I learned more about the care and what to watch for concerning the toppers.

Oh, the customer representative from Carefree has contacted me as well via email.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
The OP's cover is definitely a SOKIII.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your install is correct. Doug

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the left end cap has a center hole then it's a SOK III, but verify.

You'll soon notice leaves sticking out the bottom of the top cover cap. They have not interfered with my CareLess operation and are relative easy to clear. Using a hex bit remove the top screws (your pic) and loosen the bottom left cover screws. Do not remove any other screws. The cover will now rotate out to the side and then use compressed air to clean. And that is also a good time to inspect the car door edge.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, your install looks pretty good!! You won't see any pooling when the slide is closed, but (as with any of them) probably will open!! When the slide is out, the angle of the fabric will be less. Just the way they work.

One question, are there screws into the fabric on top of the rail at both ends?? If not, should be so the fabric doesn't slide in the rail.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Norwood wrote:
Question: I purchased the vinyl when closed version, however I notice that about 6 to 8 inches of the topper is open when the slide is closed...would this be correct? would this just to allow water to collect in the vinyl protector and defeat the purpose? I think the dealer installed them wrong or has the mounting bracket reversed.
It looks OK to me. Water will run out of the cover.

But hate to tell you this but the CareLess toppers are made with cotton thread and with a few years of sun will be history. I'm guessing that you have a SOK III model and you need to check periodically and verify that the car door edge strip is in place. Otherwise it will develop the CareLess Scar and start to cut the canvas when closed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you guys got a little confused. I think the post you're referring to with the odd anti-billow is not the OP.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
That's a different looking anti-billow bracket.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
garyemunson wrote:
Wow. That anti-billow adjustment sure looks WAY too close! How can that slide move out without the arm immediately hitting the stop??

That's the most alarming part.
OP, DONT extend the slide or something is going to break!
They must have installed the anti=billowing device after the slide was in because there's sure no way it was retracted like that.
The installer had no idea how it works. You need to get that part of it corrected before any use.

Norwood
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so far for the help...new to forum, didn't have my preferences checked for photos... changed that..

Here are mine to show the issue:

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. There is no such thing as a certified Dealer for add on appliances
2. Depending on the slide flange there may be fabric extended but should be on a slope like the last posted pic. There should not be an area where water can sit between the wall and the curved tube on a fabric only slide cover.
3. You really need to post a pic. Douig

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. That anti-billow adjustment sure looks WAY too close! How can that slide move out without the arm immediately hitting the stop??

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
This one closes in pretty tight:

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
If installed correctly, the rail on the body should be high enough to create a fairly decent slope to the fabric. On my 2 slideout awnings, they have about a 30 degree slope. There should never be any pooling on a closed slide cover.

If yours is almost flat, the rail is too low and should be re-positioned higher. If only a slight slope, and the screws are on the top of the rail, you could remove and turn over so the screws are under the awning. That would give you about another inch of slope height.