cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My CW is now 1/2 a Pet food store???

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Went to my local CW, they remodeled last year. Now remodeled again and 1/2 the store is pet food and stuff. What the heck???? Guess CW has gone to the dogs! Are they going to make the service bays dog wash stations and make the salesman's office a vet clinic?
16 REPLIES 16

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am going to close this topic due to lack of activity. Thank you for your time and participating. Feel free to open a new thread on this topic in the future.

Thanks,
Stacy
Good Sam Care Team

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Well they are loosing RV customers left and right. Due to prices and severe lack of customer service.

I see them adding pet products as a way to recoop their losses.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dalsn1
Explorer
Explorer
Just dropped in to the Wilsonville OR CW and was surprised to see the amount of space devoted to pet food. I thought it funny as Marcus L always criticizes business for not focusing on the core business. Pet food isn't a core business. The prices on the dog food were substantially higher that the local feed stores. The Merrick brand isn't a good choice short shelf life.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:

The problem is not so much that they carry dog food. But what is it they have decided not to carry that is needed for your RV.

You can get your pink flamingos and dog food RIGHT NOW but if you need a new PC board for your refrigerator or a new water pump you may be waiting a long time.

I see it as CW is trying to address the brick and mortar shift for faster selling, got to have it now and more general items. If I were looking for a fridge PC board or new water pump, more than likely I would be referencing the part online to make sure I got exactly what I needed and then just order it. Two day shipping for most items via Amazon has taken a huge bite out of brick and mortar. It is hard to stock all of that in a single CW, makes more sense to have a warehouse with a huge varied selection of those items and to ship it where it is needed. Chances are CW would also have to ship it to their local store for a specific item like PC board anyway.

I also noticed the difference in the local CW when I stopped by about a week ago. If that's what it takes for them to survive, then that is their call. If it doesn't work out, it will change.

I take your point but for those of us that Full Time ordering online when something goes out is not optimal for sure and can be a real hassle. You need the part when you need it. Unlike the vacationer who has their TT parked in their front yard and can wait all winter.

As for Refrigerator parts: There are only Two Major makers of RV refrigerators their models use a limited number of controller boards (PCB's) I would rather CW allot a few thousand dollars to stocking the most used models than the few thousand dollars spent on endless dog accessories and awning lights.

I think at the bottom of the excuses they love to give about parts availability is the fact that they would rather you have them do the work instead of you buying the parts from them and doing it yourself.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:

The problem is not so much that they carry dog food. But what is it they have decided not to carry that is needed for your RV.

You can get your pink flamingos and dog food RIGHT NOW but if you need a new PC board for your refrigerator or a new water pump you may be waiting a long time.

I see it as CW is trying to address the brick and mortar shift for faster selling, got to have it now and more general items. If I were looking for a fridge PC board or new water pump, more than likely I would be referencing the part online to make sure I got exactly what I needed and then just order it. Two day shipping for most items via Amazon has taken a huge bite out of brick and mortar. It is hard to stock all of that in a single CW, makes more sense to have a warehouse with a huge varied selection of those items and to ship it where it is needed. Chances are CW would also have to ship it to their local store for a specific item like PC board anyway.

I also noticed the difference in the local CW when I stopped by about a week ago. If that's what it takes for them to survive, then that is their call. If it doesn't work out, it will change.
I love me some land yachting

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Smart business decision... a lot more than half of all RVe's are also dog owners. One stop shopping.

X2 Yes this is just knowing your demographic well and it is an obvious one.

Every time (almost) I've needed a "real" part for my TT CW doesnt have it, cant find it or has to order it. I go to the smaller RV shop down the road...He has it on the shelf. But sadly he's out of those Pink Flamingos.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the store and they told me unless I could prove the price of a 3500 lb jack http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/3500-lb-electric-tongue-jack/85636
was 169, I had to 239. I don't have an Iphone so I just went to Etrailer when I got home and bought what I needed for 164. It was the Winchester store but I'm not driving 60 miles round trip to buy off Camping World from now on.

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru,

Thank you for contacting Camping World and I am sorry you have not received a call back. Please send a private message with the store location and your phone number.

Thanks,
Stacy
Good Sam Care Team

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I won't buy pet food there either nor anything else unless it's an emergency. They are getting to be pretty self centered. Called yesterday about an item and the recording said "Just leave your name and number, we'll get back to you." Well, I'm still waiting. Taking my business elsewhere.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is a brilliant business decision for CW. I think I am the only one in the campground without some kind of critter. A huge market.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
GS has partnered with Bentley's Pet Stuff. They have member perks on the website and tell you to check out the products at a CW near you. I guess this is what they are talking about. Just got a flyer in the mail about the one near me finishing the remodel and come check out. I will have to go and see if it is the same as what the OP has said.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Smart business decision... a lot more than half of all RVe's are also dog owners. One stop shopping.

That's what the staff said. But to take away half the store? Check out is slow now, going to take longer.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Great...CW....The next walmart....
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980