cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

quick question

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a quote from a guy to remove a couple of trees from a family cemetery and it sounded like robbery. This is not the first time a repairman or contractor has don this. I think when they see a class a sitting in the drive they think "this guy is loaded, lets get him" Has this ever happened to any of you??
27 REPLIES 27

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Just park the MH at Walmart for the time the estimate is to be scheduled.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Multiple quotes is the key. Recent inspection on one of the rental properties revealed we needed some exterior painting on the unit. Got 3 quotes - first was $2,800, then $680, another at $700. All licensed, bonded and recommended by the inspector. Usually I find when I get a really high estimate, it's because the contractor doesn't really want the job. The only way they'll do it is to make a ton of money so they throw out a crazy number.
Exactly. I business person I highly respect once told me he never, ever told a potential customer "NO". He just priced his services at a point the customer told him "NO". No hard feelings that way.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
What a lot of people have said is true, get more quotes, make sure they have the required insurance, and yes, a MH most times do affect the bid.
Wildmanbaker

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
yes, I think people see a Motorhome and think you have money... but I don't think it truly affects a professional quote for service. As many have said, there are lots of costs involved in many trades beyond what you see up front.

My son works for a tree service and has mentioned the amount of equipment they have (bucket trucks, dump trucks, excavators, and tons of smaller items). these trucks don't get very good gas mileage and have to travel to job site and be operated by skilled operators. expenses like workman's comp are unbelievable and then payroll cost to have the skilled operators show up to do dangerous work in all types of weather is also prohibitive.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No I do not think any RV in the driveway affects prices any more than anything else.
If it seemed high why not call him back later after you put the quote in front of the committee?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think this post was asking about the tree fee. I think he was asking if anyone thinks there's a correlation of having a motorhome parked in the driveway to people thinking you have a lot of money which isn't necessarily true.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot has to do with what services they are going to complete. Cut the tree down, cut it in smaller pieces, haul all of it off, get rid of the stump? They more they do, the more it will cost. I had 3 cut and hauled off recently. I feel like I got a good deal for $1500. One of them was about 9 foot around. Both trees were very near my shop. They were praying they wouldn't fall the wrong way but they said it it does, they will rebuild and damage. Luckily all went as planned. BTW, I removed those trees so I could build my covered RV shed.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Yes, It is called Affluent area Creep or Zip Code creep. They look at where you live, Type house you have and what type cars you have and determine you have no concept of money.
So if I own a house with a zip code and some cars, I have no concept of money? Interesting. I suppose if its a Toyota, I do have a concept of money, but if its a Bentley then I'm just ignorant?

RV mechanics and tree cutters have a weird way of making estimates.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oasisbob wrote:
Get a few bids. Show the lowest bid to the best contractor and watch the price fall.

When I was a contractor, I had a guy do that to me. My comment, "See ya around." Some guys need drug money and will do the job cheaply. I paid high quality craftsmen to work with me and my work was above average. Cost of doing business, especially in a dangerous environment is astronomical. Insurance makes profit difficult...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Get a few bids. Show the lowest bid to the best contractor and watch the price fall.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Multiple quotes is the key. Recent inspection on one of the rental properties revealed we needed some exterior painting on the unit. Got 3 quotes - first was $2,800, then $680, another at $700. All licensed, bonded and recommended by the inspector. Usually I find when I get a really high estimate, it's because the contractor doesn't really want the job. The only way they'll do it is to make a ton of money so they throw out a crazy number.

This is a very good point. A high quote may simply mean that the professional is already booked or for whatever other reason doesn't really care for the job--maybe it's a long travel time, or maybe they dislike working with the particular tree species, or maybe they'd have to subcontract some particular piece of equipment--and so rather than say they can't or won't do the job, they quote a high price.

Particularly in this age there may be fear that refusing to quote a job would be construed as inappropriate discrimination, based on race or sexual orientation or whatever, even if the actual motives are far more ordinary and entirely reasonable.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
1 Hide the motor home and get more quotes.
2 Meet the guys in a cheap bar and get more quotes.
Cutting down and removing a big tree is a BIG job. Dangerous too.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What the market will pay is a long standing pricing rule.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it happens depending on you coach. My coaches, they give me a discount. No seriously though, I have heard people say things like "quote based on their shoes".
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.