Did you mean:ย 

Ram fuel filter

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
2015 ram 3500 swd diesel
Have 13000 miles
Fuel filter say 8 percent left
Will be in AZ for cancer treatment for 2 more weeks.
Will take 1200 more miles to get back home
Should I change it down here and how hard is it. Or should I take it to dealer
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
32 REPLIES 32

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I can understand why some are liking gas engines.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SweetLou wrote:
Just FYI, I am planning my change at Dave Smith Kellogg ID. $209 all in at their dealership. They want $300 near me so I can hold out until then.

I would do it for $199.

Not a bad price for a dealer!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI, I am planning my change at Dave Smith Kellogg ID. $209 all in at their dealership. They want $300 near me so I can hold out until then.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Can someone post a pic of their 2017's Diesel maintenance guide showing the rear fuel filter change interval?

OR........post a TSB stating the 30K interval?

Until I "SEE" something from CHRYSLER in writing stating 30K on the rear filter I will be changing both at 15K.

The rear filter "appears" to be doing most of the work since the engine mount filter LOOKS almost new at 15K. So to extend the rear filter another 15K that appears to be doing most of the work does not seem correct.

Chrysler???????

I'm understanding it like you are! The frame mount should be catching it first and need the more frequent changes IMO.

At roughly $90 a year and the piece of mind, I'll stick with both annually. $50 ain't nowhere near worth the potential headache and insignificant savings.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Bedlam
As others have posted, I also change out both fuel filters at 15K (although I changed out the filters early the first service).

My Mazda with a Perkins diesel had two oil filters (primary and bypass). The primary was changed every time and the bypass every other time according to the manual. I would expect the secondary fuel filter might have longer life in the CTD but will continue to change out both until I see a valid link from FCA or Cummins stating otherwise.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don't know what the micron ratings are between the 2, but as said above, I'd expect the rear filter to be doing most of the work. If anything, I'd think the service intervals would be reversed.
That's how I treat my 07 with an aftermarket filter downstream of the OE filter. OE at 5-7micron absolute is catching all the "big" stuff AND some of the small stuff. 2nd filter is just sweeping the floor for the primary filter. I do primary every oil change, secondary every other. But my intervals are roughly half the miles. My filters are cheap. New truck owners are getting ripped off. Half dozen mfgs can make 2 micron filters good enough for semi trucks but the automakers design $100 filters???

Btw, to ftd, I was quoting about $100 online for BOTH filters. Dealer price is much more.

I learned a long time ago, squeezing all the life out of diesel fuel filters is not a good practice.
And remember, the DIC is calculating filter life based on gallons or fuel or engine hours, not based on how clean the fuel you put in the truck was.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The rear filter "appears" to be doing most of the work since the engine mount filter LOOKS almost new at 15K. So to extend the rear filter another 15K that appears to be doing most of the work does not seem correct.

Chrysler???????

Filters are cheap enough and easy enough to change, I change them both at the recommended interval. I agree with this statement though... my front filter is usually pretty clean looking when I change it. That leads me to believe that the frame mounted filter is doing the bulk of the work (either that or we have exceptionally clean fuel in the DC area...).

If we were saving thousands of dollars a year, I might consider it. But to save $50 every 15K miles doesn't seem worth the risk.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can someone post a pic of their 2017's Diesel maintenance guide showing the rear fuel filter change interval?

OR........post a TSB stating the 30K interval?

Until I "SEE" something from CHRYSLER in writing stating 30K on the rear filter I will be changing both at 15K.

Chrysler???????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
As we were travelling iin our Cummins diesel motorhome this week, I lost power going up a hill to the point the motor almost stopped. I found a Cummins dealer ( lucky we were close to a town ). The bigger Raycor unit in the back turned out to be the problem, it was getting plugged. For the cost of the two filters, I will now change them annually and carry spares when on the road.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a link to an updated manual or TSB? I'd love to space out my drinks of diesel to 30k miles.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
You have 2 filters and change them both if at 15kmi on orig filters.
Warning, dealer will charge you about $200 for the filters and probably an hour at least to change them.
Even on a discount the filters cost about $100 for the pair.

Sorry to hear about the other stufff......

This is not quite accurate. As the owner of a Dodge Ram 2500 CummimsTD I have had several discussions with dealers about this fuel filter issue. And these dealers are all across the country.

They ALL agree: The only filter that needs to be replaced at 15k is the one under the hood which is the element type. They tell me this came in a service bulletin from RAM/FCA And it is NOT $100 at O Rielly.The WIX is $66.99 (which dont get me wrong is expensive but it;s a far cry from $100) The other filter is about $86 and some change. these prices are in Tucson.

The other filter located above your drive shaft can be changed at 30K+ miles.

The dash readout pertains to the Fuel Filter under the hood on the engine.

NOT saying your info is false, BUT.......

It's VERY clear as to when filter changes are REQUIRED as in BOTH. Read below.

Also I would HIGHLY advise using the MOPAR/RAYCOR/FLEETGUARD filters. If Chrysler deems the filters you use NOT acceptable they WILL deny warranty. Use other filters ar your own risk. As I posted earlier the two OE filters are sold as a pair on AMAZON for $70 plus $7 shipping.

If you will check with your dealer (and he is being honest and not just trying to sell you a filter) as I stated you will find that RAM has corrected the owners manual which was a misprint and issued a service bulletin (this confirmed by at least three dealers to me as far apart as Fargo ND, Tucson AZ and Bellingham WA that the rear filter only needs changing every 30K.

And why would you do this? as another poster asked...because it has been tested and approved by the manufacturer. (Big class 8 diesels often go 20 or 30 thousand miles on an oil change approved by the MFG. on the same exact kind of oil)

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Greene728 wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Warning, dealer will charge you about $200 for the filters and probably an hour at least to change them.

This is not quite accurate. As the owner of a Dodge Ram 2500 CummimsTD I have had several discussions with dealers about this fuel filter issue. And these dealers are all across the country.

They ALL agree: The only filter that needs to be replaced at 15k is the one under the hood which is the element type. They tell me this came in a service bulletin from RAM/FCA And it is NOT $100 at O Rielly.The WIX is $66.99 (which dont get me wrong is expensive but it;s a far cry from $100) The other filter is about $86 and some change. these prices are in Tucson.

Why would anyone do that? For what these trucks cost and the complexity of the engine, why cheap out on a $70-100 filter once a year or so? And why change one and not the other? Not that i dont believe you (or that you care if I do or not) I'd love to see this bulletin or a link to it as my manual clearly states requirements.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
They're about $80 for the pair on Amazon. Changing the rear one sucks. I've done it twice and came away covered in diesel to some degree both times. The top one is easier but you need a large socket and some extensions and a flex connector to get the cap off. There are lots of how-to's on Youtube.

X2, youtube is your friend; lots of videos on the front and rear filter replacement.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Why would anyone do that? For what these trucks cost and the complexity of the engine, why cheap out on a $70-100 filter once a year or so? And why change one and not the other? Not that i dont believe you (or that you care if I do or not) I'd love to see this bulletin or a link to it.