cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone running with 5.5" bed rail clearance?

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious to know if anyone is running with 5.5" bed rail clearance. I've always had at least 6" or more clearance in the past. I have a 2017 F350 Super Duty. Hooked up to our 5th wheel yesterday and have 5.5" of clearance & the trailer is 1-1/2" nose high. If I raise my hitch I will be 2.5" off level. We typically stay in resort style campgrounds and stay on major highways. Dealer said I won't have any problems.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300
32 REPLIES 32

drag_slick
Explorer
Explorer
TS21sso,
My 5-er is about 1700 lb pin weight and I carry a tool box and other stuff in the box as well so about 2000 lb total load in the bed including hitch.

As far as other uses go, I also haul a tractor on a flatbed that's about 9000 lb total weight between the two.

Heaviest thing I've had in the bed other than the camper was about 1500 lbs of rubber stall mats.

I've not noticed anything odd about the suspension from before or after the shackles were installed.

The camper is an inch or two nose high, but i've since dropped down to a 275/65/18 tire which took me from 32.7 to 32.1 tire height. I've not hitched up since putting the shorter tire on.

The drop shackles sure have made loading and unloading things from the bed a lot easier. Gave the torsion bars a couple turns to level the truck out as well

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
drag_slick wrote:
I've a pair of McGaughys drop shackles in my 2014 2500HD for about a year and a half now, made a ton of difference

drag_slick,
During this year and a half, may I ask what type of loads and or pin weights has the suspension been subject to. This is the solution I am choosing to take for the clearance problem, just looking for someone who has already used these shackles with out experiencing any problems. Thanks

drag_slick
Explorer
Explorer
I've a pair of McGaughys drop shackles in my 2014 2500HD for about a year and a half now, made a ton of difference

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
Thats what i would do, there is a 2" lowering shackle that works well on GM vehicles.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to try it this weekend. I have not read any cons about driveline angles/vibration. 2017 F350 with air bags.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
There has been much discussion on this post about lifting the trailer to accomplish both the bed clearance and nose high condition.
Has anyone corrected this same problem by using 2" lowering spring shackles on the rear of their TV? What would be the pros and cons of this solution to the problem?

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I ran in the 5-6" range for a while. I had some mild contact. No real damage but some minor scrapes. It was not an ideal situation. Eventually I had Correct Trax. Axle Alignment kit installed strictly for the 2" lift it provides. The Correct Trax kit resolved my issues.

Correct Tracks

Our trailer came with this system. Unfortunately it's not an option.
Thanks

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
grampscamper, Went out and measured my clearance today. Conditions were not"perfectly" level... one side 6 1/2" , the other 7 1/2" . So, I guessing that I'm around 7" . I would like to have greater clearance, but I want to keep trailer level. memtb

Thanks for the info. When I checked mine it wasn't perfectly level either. When I get some time I'll tow it to a nice level spot and take more accurate measurements. I know I'm not at 7".

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper, Went out and measured my clearance today. Conditions were not"perfectly" level... one side 6 1/2" , the other 7 1/2" . So, I guessing that I'm around 7" . I would like to have greater clearance, but I want to keep trailer level. memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I ran in the 5-6" range for a while. I had some mild contact. No real damage but some minor scrapes. It was not an ideal situation. Eventually I had Correct Trax. Axle Alignment kit installed strictly for the 2" lift it provides. The Correct Trax kit resolved my issues.

Correct Tracks

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
grampscamper, This is from (bad) experience, back in early '94.Though there was very little damage to camper beneath nose, it was still damage. As mentioned, wrong turn, had to turn around. As we now do some off roading (boondocking),I prefer 8" or more clearance if at all possible! memtb

Thanks for the information. I don't think there is anyway I could get 8" of clearance. I would be happy with anything over 6". The 5th wheel is still in storage. In the next week or two I will bring it home and see if I can come up with a solution.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper, This is from (bad) experience, back in early '94.Though there was very little damage to camper beneath nose, it was still damage. As mentioned, wrong turn, had to turn around. As we now do some off roading (boondocking),I prefer 8" or more clearance if at all possible! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
grampscamper wrote:
I'm curious to know if anyone is running with 5.5" bed rail clearance. I've always had at least 6" or more clearance in the past. I have a 2017 F350 Super Duty. Hooked up to our 5th wheel yesterday and have 5.5" of clearance & the trailer is 1-1/2" nose high. If I raise my hitch I will be 2.5" off level. We typically stay in resort style campgrounds and stay on major highways. Dealer said I won't have any problems.

I did..... now don't. Under ideal conditions, you'll be fine. But, unexpected things happen. A wrong turn, requiring a turnaround in less than "ideal" conditions is but one of many things that can cause you problems. I'd either try to lower the truck or raise the unit! JMO. Good Luck with whatever you decide. memtb

Did you have contact between your truck and trailer or did you do this as a preventative measure?

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:

I did..... now don't. Under ideal conditions, you'll be fine. But, unexpected things happen. A wrong turn, requiring a turnaround in less than "ideal" conditions is but one of many things that can cause you problems. I'd either try to lower the truck or raise the unit! JMO. Good Luck with whatever you decide. memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl