cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mounting solar with screws.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
has anybody ever had to remove a solar panel? The ones I bought use 4 Z brackets. a bolt comes though bottom of solar frame, than through Z bracket. once z bracket is mounted to roof, the only way to get panel off is to cut the seal and unscrew the Z brackets from roof.
I can't drill hoes into side of panel for mounts as it will void warranty.

But besides a broken panel, why would I need to remove them?
I can use a chimney nut, that slides on panel frame and clips in hole, than put a bolt up though bottom of Z bracket into frame, but I fear that the hidden chimney nuts could rust out and give way with wind pressure when I am going down the road (I do camp in salt air a lot).
even with this chimney nut, I only have 5/8" inch between bottom of bracket and roof if I did need to remove the bolts.

I am over thinking this right? just bolt bracket to frame, test everything out, than screw and seal it down?

Than just keep the chunks of debris out from between the panel and roof (dead leaves, etc). When washing roof just get in as far as you can with a brush.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.
7 REPLIES 7

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I thought of that kind of mount system but I am trying to keep mine as flush as I can to roof. RV's stand a very high chance of catching a tree limb. Even a small limb can under the panel it has a chance of doing more damage than if I can just deflect it over the panel.

sometimes I think about making a leading edge with a air foil design to close the gap between roof and panel in front, but that again would take another hole in side of panel frame.

Just my thoughts on it.
2022 Ford F150
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking to use the aluminum UNISTRUT stock on the roof edge where I can screw down in some wood side edges and use the panel Z angle to bolt to the panel and the Unistrut.

This is how UNISTRUT is used...

Google Image

The Unistrut will allow me to slide the panel ON and OFF as needed and not put a hole in the roof except on the very edge of the roof. I could probably only drill into the side of the panel up near the roof just as easy using a L bracket for the Unistrut going across the roof.... I already have a few things mounted to my roof side panels...

An installed solar panel would look something like this perhaps...

Google Image

Haven't checked into the cost of these UNISTRUT units yet.. probably high dollar stuff...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I used the same Z brackets and bolted them to the panels and screwed them to the roof. My only problem was that the wires were under the panel and me fingers would not reach them. A coat hanger get them out. Project done.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the reality check :). heading to garage to put stock mounts on with nuts and bolts.
2022 Ford F150

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
A TC is probably the better place to use them since it's unlikely to tilt. I doubt very much that you will ever have a problem with the panel itself. More likely might be the connections on the rear of the panel. If the cover is removable or if you have to attach the wires to the panel box, be sure to use electrical grease in there. I would never put anything up there that isn't aluminum or stainless. There are better grades of stainless too.

With the low panel prices I would guess that it's going to be borderline worth while years from now to even use the warr when shipping prices keep going up and panel prices keep going down. I drilled holes in all my panels for rivenuts and tilting. If tilting is practical and you need the increased performance, tilting does help a good deal. I have never run into anyone who has replaced a panel and I often run into people with very old panels.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Yes. Broke panel.
But generally unless broke, need would be very rare. Roof replacement, or refitting another panel, changing layout? Cant see a reason.
Unless new replacement identical, unlikely, mounts probably need relocation anyway.
So I wouldn't make allowance they could be reused, mount like its going to be there forever...
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:

I am over thinking this right? just bolt bracket to frame, test everything out, than screw and seal it down?

IMO Yes.

I also added blue loctite to the screws that mount the z clips to the panels just to be sure they don't rattle loose.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.