cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting RV inside...

buttetiful
Explorer
Explorer
I want to paint the inside of my RV. I'm sick of the neutral colors that are brown, brown and more brown.

I've done the research, and was just told not to do it because it will turn out awful (dealership guys I work with). And god forbid the resale value!!!!!

The reason is that the paint will peel off the walls, blah, blah,blah.

I plan on keeping my RV for quite a while, and am not going "color crazy" mostly white and greys.

Anyway, I've done my research, I know that a good primer is key, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Anybody have experience? How is your paint holding up now if you've done it? Any regrets?
20 REPLIES 20

LifeInsideJack
Explorer
Explorer
What do you have to lose? We painted ours with a simple paint and primer in one product. We replaced a few walls but didn't like the colors.

Just be careful about what color you choose. We went with an ivory simply because bright white walls are too stark.

My $0.02
Our website: www.lifeinsidejack.com

Our Motto: Love. Joy. Hope. Peace. Freedom.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
My wife wanted to paint the inside of my brown, brown and more brown truck camper. I was against the idea because I thought it would look terrible and scratch everywhere.
Well, the truck and the machinery is all my department and the interior is hers so I went along with it and WHAT A HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!! Should have done it years ago!
She used to be a painting contractor and knew what she was doing, did pretty much what the guys here are saying: scrub first, use quality primer and paint. It's been a few years now and still looks great. We both like teals and blues and now that's what we have.
I suppose resale would take a hit on a newer rig. I'd be hesitant to buy a painted rig because I'd think it was hiding something (other than all the ugly brown) but my camper is an '87. It's got no resale anyway.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Bjcombs1989
Explorer
Explorer
I made this album on my family's Blog site. It's easier to post the link instead of posting pictures directly here.

Camper Renovation Album
1994 Wilderness Fifth Wheel Series M-30-5X
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD (Duramax & Allison)

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of painting the inside of my 2004 BT Cruiser, as well as other modifications.

I spent many hours removing and sanding the cabinet doors. I am now sanding the cupboards.

When I finished, I checked into TSP and saw somewhere that if you do not remove all the TSP, the paint will not stick. I decided to go with an equal part water and vinegar to clean. Not too fond of chemicals anyway.

Next will be priming. The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the advice I have seen is to use an OIL BASED primer. That is what we will use.

Then paint with a quality latex paint.

There are many u-tube videos on painting. I have watched all of them before I even started to do anything. Good advice if you can filter out what you want and what you don't want.

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this will inspire you.....
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28764823/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1
Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
buttetiful wrote:
I want to paint the inside of my RV. I'm sick of the neutral colors that are brown, brown and more brown.

I've done the research, and was just told not to do it because it will turn out awful (dealership guys I work with). And god forbid the resale value!!!!!

The reason is that the paint will peel off the walls, blah, blah,blah.

I plan on keeping my RV for quite a while, and am not going "color crazy" mostly white and greys.

Anyway, I've done my research, I know that a good primer is key, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Anybody have experience? How is your paint holding up now if you've done it? Any regrets?

Ive been painting way too long not to hate it,still..
Find out what material are walls made of then ask in paint store whats the best paint for it?
If you leave and unheated camper in winter it will be freezing cold inside,so using Exterior paint would be good idea
Before painting use TSP trisodium phospate in water to wash walls
Good luck

Bjcombs1989
Explorer
Explorer
I'm really happy with the results. Finishing up the trim this weekend but have a bunch of pics I need to post of the progress.
1994 Wilderness Fifth Wheel Series M-30-5X
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD (Duramax & Allison)

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2003 Holiday Rambler motor home last year and couldn't stand the blah colors. I decided to paint the interior, walls only, and LOVE it!! We have the bedroom one color and the living area another just like in our home! This is our home away from home so why not help it to feel that way too by decorating and painting it the way you like!! I know everyone else says to scrub, scrub, scrub but that's way too much work! I made sure there was no dust on the walls but didn't scrub because it wasn't dirty! I didn't primer either. I just painted two coats of the paint I was using and it turned out fine! After painting I also installed the peel and stick plastic tile back splash from Lowe's (which looks real!) under the kitchen cabinets and I'm LOVING the new look of our traveling home!! It's easier than you think!! 🙂
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! 🙂

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We painted ours 3 years ago and it's held up well. We cleaned with TSP, primes and painted. Our TT started with very little value, so I wasn't worried about resale. It looks WAY better that it did originally and we're happy with it.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
A friend did this to his TC. Very detailed prep. Still looked bad and he regretted it. Also hurt him on resale as folks figured he was covering damage. Sorry to discourage. Perhaps try one wall and see for yourself?

What specifically looks bad about it? And what type of surfaces did he have to start with? Just curious.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
A friend did this to his TC. Very detailed prep. Still looked bad and he regretted it. Also hurt him on resale as folks figured he was covering damage. Sorry to discourage. Perhaps try one wall and see for yourself?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great idea. A little risky with a rig on only a couple of years old. With units that have some age it is a swell update and a way to get rid of dated decor. Show us some pictures.

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Scrub it, prime it, paint it. We painted the walls on our new motorhome because we didn't like the colors. No problems at all in eight years. We repainted last year just for a different look. Scrubbed and painted the second time but didn't prime. Looks great!
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I've not done it, but see no problem doing it. Just about anything can be painted if done correctly. As to resale value, the new owners could simply wall paper over the painted surfaces if they didn't like your handy work.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"