cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

converting a Sprinter with Ikea "stuff"

riverman61
Explorer
Explorer
I did a bit of searching and did not see this topic. I have thought about converting a sprinter van using Ikea cabinets etc. I'm semi handy and thought that this might help things along. Has anyone done this before?
12 REPLIES 12

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this sink, metal counter and base at Ikea today. Might work for a kitchen.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59139689/

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
thriftydutch wrote:
I have a 1990 with particle board cabinets and nothing has fallen apart in 27 years. Where do you drive , on old logging roads.

I dunno about them, but that's exactly where I drive!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
Searching_Ut wrote:
The laminated particle board used in most Ikea furniture is both heavy, and weak when it comes to holding up to the sorts of vibration, shaking, flexing it's going to encounter in RV type applications. It's almost amazing how much you can tear stuff up driving down the road, even if you're using well made stuff,
. I have a 1990 with particle board cabinets and nothing has fallen apart in 27 years. Where do you drive , on old logging roads.

1990 L.E.R. Dodge B 250 Class B 17'

I'm looking at using rolling tool chests minus the wheels for cabinetry in a Transit conversion. They are built well and have nicely built drawers that lock with various depths, widths, and heights available.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
The laminated particle board used in most Ikea furniture is both heavy, and weak when it comes to holding up to the sorts of vibration, shaking, flexing it's going to encounter in RV type applications. It's almost amazing how much you can tear stuff up driving down the road, even if you're using well made stuff,
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Here's a Gal who just started a conversion on a Transit. Very nice job so far.
Transit Conversion

Thank You for the link to one of the best videos on van conversion,they have done a nice job. We don't want all the bells a whistles just for a few weeks out camping.
J herb

Here's a Gal who just started a conversion on a Transit. Very nice job so far.
Transit Conversion

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
riverman61 wrote:
I did a bit of searching and did not see this topic. I have thought about converting a sprinter van using Ikea cabinets etc. I'm semi handy and thought that this might help things along. Has anyone done this before?

I have done two van conversions several years ago and really enjoyed them , I haven't seen to many post about people doing their own on the RV net. Their are a lot of you tube videos out their but most
of the videos they put way to much stuff in the vans that you can't move around in them.
I have been looking at class C but haven't found a small one with the floor plan that we like so I think when the time comes to not tow the trailer I may convert a spinster type van.
What type of conversion do you want ? We don't want all the bell and whistles.
J herb

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend YouTube University.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of other considerations - the Sprinters aren't square boxes, so you'd be dealing with curves to fit upper cabinets plus of course all the fittings in lower ones. Some high end B conversions from Canada are made with partly solid wood cabinetry custom fitted by Mennonite carpenters, and the work really holds up well - one reason they are pricey. Cheaper unit doors might begin to skew out of line.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with John. Watch the weight and attachment.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I use IKEA LED lights in our Motor home. That is a good idea that you have, and will probably work, as IKEA's speciality is tiny homes and spaces. But be aware that much of their stuff is make of HEAVY fiberboard, whereas most RV stuff is built and designed to be lightweight. Things like hollow walls, cabinet floors that are thin panels with cardboard stiffners between, and other such. So just think light, because weight builds up very quickly.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.