cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tires needed

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Utah CP that we are looking to replace the tires on....figure they are 10 years old and should be replaced even though there are absolutely no signs of sidewall cracks or tread wear. Looking for recommendations on brands....too many horror stories of blow outs on new tires. Currently LoadStar K550 ST185/80D13. Max Load is 1660, which barely covers the dry weight.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"
19 REPLIES 19

manualman
Explorer
Explorer
I've had great luck with the Loadstars and e-trailer has provided me very tires with recent build date stamps. That's pretty important for tires that age out rather than wear out. I do notice the tread tends to cup, but not overly badly.

fill
Explorer
Explorer
My pop-up is a Roll A Home, pulled by a 6 cyl. motorcycle. Empty weight is 385 lbs, with an 800 lb. capacity, So when I load it, say for a multi – week tour, it will weigh more than 385! 12 inch wheels

I can’t tell you which brand of tire is better. What I can tell you is you can tell how something is towing a lot easier on a M/C than a 4 wheeler. I put DYNA-BEADS in the tires to balance them. (They’re not for plugging leaks.). It pulls a lot easier.

Fill
Subaru. ’94 GoldWing 1500 SE
2012 Roll-A-Home, Eagle 1 trailer
GWRRA, Thousand Trails, IBMC
(We’ve downsized)

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Ill need to look at what's on my Jayco. I will upgrade to 14" AS these are also 10 years old if OEM.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered the Loadstar from etrailer. They came with the camper and have held up pretty well, so I figured stick with them......plus they have a 5 star rating:C...Thanks
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last month I bought two new ones at a trailer shop.
when the lady looked up the cost it turned out that it was only ten dollars more per tire to get them with new wheels.
Since my wheels were all rusty, it was a no brainer, and the new rims are galvanized too.
I paid $200 for the pair

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

jbird68
Explorer
Explorer
I just noticed the sidewall on one of my Goodyear ST185/80R 13c tired was cracked. So I am looking for new tires in the near future. I aired it up and it still holds air. Wal-Mart has the Goodyear tires for about $65 each. These are what came with the Jayco camper. Just have to keep looking for a good deal. I'm not getting the Carlisle tires from China.
Camp Roster

1) DH(48)

[purple]2) DW(46)[/purple]

3) DD1(25)

4) DD2(20)

5) DS(12)

6) DGD(6)

7) DGS(3)

😎 Poodle-Hercules R.I.P. (14)

9) Shih-Poo (3 1/2 yrs.)

2003 Jayco Designer 12F5 Pop-Up

2006 Dodge Durango 4x4 Atlantic Blue 4.7L Next Generation

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
What do you think of these ?.....I like the tread pattern, and it is rated higher than the stock Loadstars....
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Grand-Ride-185-80R13/dp/B00MVI7P7A/ref=pd_sbs_293_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd...

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.etrailer.com

Yes at 1710 you get 3420 and the remaining 80 pounds(or more) is carried by the tow vehicle.

You would need to go with 14" if you really want to increase the rating.

14" tire and wheel $145
Measure clearance first, same bolt pattern, 2040 rated load, Kenda Karrier radial vs Kenda Loadstar bias.

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
What is on the Pop Up since new are Loadstar K550 ST185/80D13.....Max Load 1660 lbs. We are the original owners, and this is what came on the Pop Up......I'd like to stay with the Loadstar, but having a hard time finding them. There is little tread wear, no sidewall cracks, but feel that 10 years is pushing the limits and should probably replace them. I don't remember exact numbers, but dry weight is around 3200#, and Max is 3500#

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beer Belly wrote:
I looked at the link provided for the Maaxis, and although I do see the 185/8013 listed, it is a Radial with a Load Range below the empty weight of our pop up.
What size tire does the GVWR sticker show as OEM size?
All these tires have the same weight rating.
And what is the GVWR?

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just put a pair of Carlisle Sport Trail L/H on my older tent trailer but it has 12 inch wheels. I also put on a set of Carlisle Sports Trail HD on my Airstream. They are pretty good tires, the HDs.

Discount Tires are pretty good to work with.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seeing your trailer listed with a gross weight of 3500lbs. Rather heavy for a 13" rim. You'd need a tire rated above 1750lbs. I'm not aware of anyone making such a tire except Chinabomb brands not recommended. Highest would be 1710lbs at 65psi.

Best bet for that would be Carlisle Trail LH or Trail HD. Discount Tire has them but not sure if correct model is listed on their website.

If there is room to change to a 14" tire then better choices exist.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the link provided for the Maaxis, and although I do see the 185/8013 listed, it is a Radial with a Load Range below the empty weight of our pop up.