cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Blanket or Heated Matress Pad

Elizabeth24
Explorer
Explorer
What would be better. We usually travel in cooler weather and thought that perhaps one of these would save on propane and heating up the entire RV.

Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We had both and like the blanket more than we liked the pad.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Foam mattress pad and warm cuddle partner.

Lakesie

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
For those who felt cold on top with heated mattress pads it is obvious that their covers were inadequate. Get a down comforter, indeed any sufficient insulation to keep the heat in. Then a lightweight merino wool cap keeps the beanie from getting cold. We have kept the furnace set to 50 and remain toasty warm with a heated mattress pad, down comforter and the wool cap.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Mattress pad! The cat's meow ๐Ÿ™‚

Winter camp with them in the rig and there is NOTHING quite like them. Have units with individual controls.

As said heat rises...............no cold spots on the bed ๐Ÿ˜‰
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Mike__Rose
Explorer
Explorer
We have both and I prefer the pad. Turn it on before we settle in and turn it off when we go to bed. We each have our own control, so can adjust if it gets cold during the night. DW steals the blankets so that is why I prefer the pad! We usually have the electric blanket for the queen mattress in the loft cabover bed and the pad in the rear bedroom.
See you on the road!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We've used heated mattress pads for years and would not consider ever going back to a heated blanket. We turn the dual control settings up for awhile before going to bed, and then my wife turns her side down and I turn my side off when we get in bed. Very comfortable for both of us...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get chilled from the top because the mattress under me usually is warm after awhile anyway, so I would prefer the blanket.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We had a mattress pad for several years. When it died we both decided an electric blanket is better. The pad is great for prewarming the bed, but we found the back and bottom were warm, but the top of us was cold. We now use blanket only and find it prewarms the the bed nicely.

I also figured since heat rises, the pad would be better. But with a regular blanket over the electric blanket we find most of the heat stays in the bed around us. I think the pad required more maintenance. I recall fixing the connections several times, electric blankets seem more durable maybe because on our pad the connectors were at the head end and blankets are typically at the foot end and less pulling on them.

Both draw so little power the difference if any is not a concern for us.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a problem with all the heat of the pad being enclosed so tight. I get the feeling it's going to catch on fire. I like the blanket best.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Got both and prefer electric blanket.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Elizabeth24 wrote:
Yes most of the time we are in RV parks so additional cost for electricity would not come into play.
It's not the cost it's that if you're running it on an inverter you want to make sure it's a pure sine, not el cheapo.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
We've tried both. The mattress pad got way to hot, might be cause it's between us and a memory foam topper. We found the top of us got cold while the mattress side got too hot. It was okay to pre warm the bed, not so much if you tried to turn it on after you were in it.

We have no problems with an electric blanket. We turn it on for an hour before getting into bed to warm it up, then turn them off when we get in. Also works well if you wake up cold. We do use a blanket on top of it.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

cmarq
Explorer
Explorer
We have used a mattress pad for years. One on bed at home and one in motorhome. Wonderful camping early spring and fall in Connecticut. Caution do not use them on a modified sine wave inverter it does fry them.