cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Mid July Fishing

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the best Mid July halibut fishing Valdeze, Seward, Homer or, Nilnilchik?

Same question for salmon?
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?
22 REPLIES 22

Monello
Explorer
Explorer
joelm wrote:
Our best last year was the Homer spit. We were hooking up to 50 Silvers a day.

Nice

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
As Joe B pointed out, the Karluk is (IMNSHO) the ne plus ultra spot for fishing in Alaska: (relatively) accessible, great location, often surprisingly good weather (and if it isn't good weather, it's supposed to be rainy and windy in Alaska), and possibility of seeing brother bear. One needs to get to Kodiak and then to the Karluk, of course, but while it will take a little time and $$, it's straightforward.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few no crowd bank fishing spots in Alaska that I have fished in the past, and probably PA12 has also fished them. The Kobuk river east of Kotzebue is good for many species, including shee fish. The Unalakleet River just upstream from the village can be excellent. My favorite spot is the Karluk River on the back side of Kodiak Island. Some of the villagers provided a sort of B & B experience as tent camping with all the bears never appealed to me. LOL anywhere on the road system will most likely be crowded, but can still be fun if you can keep your sense of humor and consider it to be a social event.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

joelm
Explorer
Explorer
Our best last year was the Homer spit. We were hooking up to 50 Silvers a day.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I've had great salmon and small halibut fishing in Valdez. Find out when the silver run is.
Would not even think of combat fishing.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Moosehead05 wrote:
been here a couple months now and you sure where right about crowds!!
now how about grouse hunting?? Nebesna road any good?? I'm reading closer to Tok and Cantwell is better , north of Fairbanks? If atv
trails aren't posted can you walk them hunting? thanks

Grouse hunting....I don't know any specifics about the country around Nabesna. It's enough away from the urban areas that it would be less popular than some other areas.

FWIW, what I intend to do if I can work it around the big game hunters is to camp/fish/grouse hunt along the Denali highway. Careful perusal of the land ownership maps is needed, but one can avoid most crowds by going up that-a-way.....pending the big game hunters of course. Ahtna is pretty touchy about ownership/trespass issues, but doing homework vis-a-vis public land should avoid any problems.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Moosehead05
Explorer
Explorer
been here a couple months now and you sure where right about crowds!!
now how about grouse hunting?? Nebesna road any good?? I'm reading closer to Tok and Cantwell is better , north of Fairbanks? If atv
trails aren't posted can you walk them hunting? thanks

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Moosehead05 wrote:
well, I figured Alaska might be like other places I have fished and hunted there was probably out of the way places without crowds. but I guess not!

There are definitely out of the way places without crowds, but not readily accessible on the road system....the exceptions being if you get away from Southcentral AK (i.e. try the Denali Highway or other roads away from the Parks highway) and chase something beside salmon, one won't see as many people.

If one works hard enough at it, there are certainly uncrowded places, but it takes hiking, boating, or flight to get to them during salmon / tourist season.

...and finally, "crowded" is relative. If one is stopping at some of the SE towns, it would be easy enough to do a cheap 1/2 day charter and some of those towns might have road-accessible fishing. Even in SC Alaska, one can minimize the crowds by going up/downriver from the road crossing and by going mid-week, depending on regulations.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Moosehead05
Explorer
Explorer
well, I figured Alaska might be like other places I have fished and hunted there was probably out of the way places without crowds. but I guess not!

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
R. Walter wrote:
PA12DRVR wrote:
With any luck, I'll have some guts-n-blood on the new boat (23' SSD by Wooldridge) by mid-July and can offer a direct personal report.

Ill be in Alaska for the summer volunteer working. Do you want to take me out fishing?

I'll have a pretty open invitation ONCE I get comfortable with the boat...currently eagerly awaiting the water to get soft in Big/Finger/Wasilla lake, whichever comes first so I can fire it up and get going.

....one will have to put up with a passel of grandkids though.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

R__Walter
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
With any luck, I'll have some guts-n-blood on the new boat (23' SSD by Wooldridge) by mid-July and can offer a direct personal report.

Ill be in Alaska for the summer volunteer working. Do you want to take me out fishing?
2016 Ram 3500 Aisin SRW LB
2005 Hitchhiker DA 31.5
Fulltimin'

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
2015 Soldotna, Alaska on the Kenai River by the airport.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
Moosehead05 wrote:
What about shore fishing without crowds??

If I only knew how to post pictures.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
There's lots of places to go shore fishing, but

- There will be crowds anywhere the shore is road-accessible (or relatively road-accessible) for salmon season(s);
- There will likely be crowds on most riverbanks that are within a 30-60 minute boat ride of popular spots (think Talkeetna, Wasilla, Houston, Kenai/Soldotna) particularly during King and Silver season
- During the popular salmon runs, even the relatively close air-accessible spots will be "crowded" but that would mean 3-4 parties on any given stretch, not the shoulder-to-shoulder combat fishing on the road-accessible areas.....riverbanks that are a couple hours flight away are less likely to be crowded in general
- For roadside fishing...go in the fall for trout/grayling/char after the salmon and the combat fishing have passed.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN