cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medical coverage in Canada for U.S. Resident

exportman
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried to search for info on this subject but as we long term members know the search engine here isn't especially effective. So, that's why I am starting a new thread.

My wife and I will be vacationing in Canada for about 2 months. Our U.S. Coverage is Medicare with a Blue Shield supplement. Neither gets me coverage in Canada for doctors, hospitalization, etc. I am looking for a med policy probably with a high deductible to make sure that I will be covered in Canada. To all U.S. folks who have purchased short term medical coverage for Canadian travel please let me know the name of the company that wrote the policy. Thanks so much.
32 REPLIES 32

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
You might find this interesting:

http://www.david-cummings.com/documents/canadian_hospital_rates.htm

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
It was at an Ontario hospital recently that young 32 year old man went into a hospital emergency room, and was later found dead in the waiting area, the autopsy showed that he died from natural causes at the ripe old age of 86.
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
This discussion is misleading. You all are talking about your US insurance reimbursing you for costs of medical care in Canada. That's fine, according to the provisions of your policy. You pay cash, and get reimbursed later.

But Garyhaupt is correct. There are virtually no instances in which a Canadian health facility will bill your US insurance company for you.

Years ago I recall there was a Doc, or maybe a Clinic, licensed both in Canada and in a US state, and they did offer such a service. I don't recall where it was, but no American traveling in Canada should assume that will be done.

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
To the best of my knowledge I have never heard of a Canadian hospital taking any US medical cards, only credit cards.

I asked that question awhile back at my local hospital (Montreal) on behalf of one of my US upstate NY neighbors and the answer was they do not.

If someone has written information to the contrary it would be good to know for our forum members.

... Eric

I am retired from over 40 years in the Motion Picture Industry. The Industry Health Plan acts as my supplemental to my Medicare during my retirement. The plan is an "international plan". It is designed to be mobile as many location filmings, including many productions shot in Canada, require the insurance to be accepted easily in locations there and around the world. In preparation for this years 3 month trip to Alaska I contacted Motion Picture and specifically asked about my travel time in Canada during this trip. I was told in writing that if Medicare did not cover me, Motion Picture would cover me and my wife as if I were home. That includes air ambulance. So the only additional insurance I am seeking now is a policy to cover driving my RV back or additional flights home which can be purchased through my Elks membership for about 100 dollars.
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
bsinmich wrote:
there is a huge difference between Medicare Supplement and Medicare Advantage. Most supplement plans will have foreign coverage. Only the cheapest plans do not have foreign coverage. Plan F is the most expensive with G being similar with higher deductibles. Advantage plans can vary by whatever the company wants to include or exclude. All plans are identical by letter ID but premiums can vary from one company to another. I sold this stuff until last November when I retired for good. (78 Years old)
You know Bill, these plans are hard to understand for the average retiree. Even the guy who sold my the insurance plan was wrong on the type of coverage that I had in Canada. He told me I was only covered up to $50k. I asked him to call himself to verify what the supervisor told me, which he did and told me he was wrong and the supervisor at Atena was right. He originally advised me to buy a travelers insurance which in the end was not needed. In the end my understanding is that out of country ER visits are treated the same as in country hospitals that are not in network to the plan you pay up front and you are reimbursed the same as you would be as the plan network.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
there is a huge difference between Medicare Supplement and Medicare Advantage. Most supplement plans will have foreign coverage. Only the cheapest plans do not have foreign coverage. Plan F is the most expensive with G being similar with higher deductibles. Advantage plans can vary by whatever the company wants to include or exclude. All plans are identical by letter ID but premiums can vary from one company to another. I sold this stuff until last November when I retired for good. (78 Years old)
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
Gjac..I ain't arguing with you, but I think maybe one should call a CDN hospital to confirm that they would accept the card. The info I got from the Royal Columbian Financial office yesterday is that NO Canadian hospital can accept a US carriers card as they are not issued a US tax number and so do NOT have access to the network.

Not that an insurance company is ever wrong..but it 'could' happen. If in fact, the card is not accepted, the customer pays and then submits the bill for reimbursement.

Gary Haupt
I probably spent 3 hrs on the phone with 3 different people to get an answer and finally asked for a supervisor because I could not get a good answer from the customer care people. What He told me and gave me the page to read it in my EOC is I would be charged $75/visit to the ER and if admitted that fee would be waived. The max fee would be $650 if the hospital stay was more than a week. I would have to pay up front and would be reimbursed by Aetna. My cost in the end would be the same as an in network hospital. It did not matter if I was just traveling through CN to Alaska or staying in CN for the entire summer the coverage was still the same. If I had a heart attack then a stroke etc and the bill came to $1,000,000 or more my total exposure is my max out-of-pocket which is $6700. If you are worried about a chronic health problem like a kidney disease where you need testing every week then you need some kind of travelers insurance. I had a difficult time getting a straight answers even from my insurance agent. I would assume most medicare advantage plans would be similar and would be interested in what other plans say.

Yeah, phone people don't have an easy time with giving straight answers. I can see that you are taking care of business. The amazing thing is the folks that don't...whether non-US residents traveling IN the US or US folks traveling thru a foreign country (Canada). We all dislike paying the money needed to get proper coverage, but one wrong move by some other fool can ruin ones financial well-being. Or even a medical mis-step..like getting really sick from eating oysters...and it was only 3 hrs in Emerg and some tests..$2,700. That was in Oregon and yes, I have coverage. Paid up front and claimed....claim paid.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyhaupt wrote:
Gjac..I ain't arguing with you, but I think maybe one should call a CDN hospital to confirm that they would accept the card. The info I got from the Royal Columbian Financial office yesterday is that NO Canadian hospital can accept a US carriers card as they are not issued a US tax number and so do NOT have access to the network.

Not that an insurance company is ever wrong..but it 'could' happen. If in fact, the card is not accepted, the customer pays and then submits the bill for reimbursement.

Gary Haupt
I probably spent 3 hrs on the phone with 3 different people to get an answer and finally asked for a supervisor because I could not get a good answer from the customer care people. What He told me and gave me the page to read it in my EOC is I would be charged $75/visit to the ER and if admitted that fee would be waived. The max fee would be $650 if the hospital stay was more than a week. I would have to pay up front and would be reimbursed by Aetna. My cost in the end would be the same as an in network hospital. It did not matter if I was just traveling through CN to Alaska or staying in CN for the entire summer the coverage was still the same. If I had a heart attack then a stroke etc and the bill came to $1,000,000 or more my total exposure is my max out-of-pocket which is $6700. If you are worried about a chronic health problem like a kidney disease where you need testing every week then you need some kind of travelers insurance. I had a difficult time getting a straight answers even from my insurance agent. I would assume most medicare advantage plans would be similar and would be interested in what other plans say.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Visit to the ER for a sprained risk?? Peanuts!!!

Have a severe heart attack? $$$$$$$$

Canadian had a SEVERE heart attack in he US. Well over a $1,000,000 bill. Might want to up your credit limit on your credit card. I'm sure it would be near that in Canada.

We don't travel to the US with less that $2M coverage.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Community Alumni
Not applicable
To the best of my knowledge I have never heard of a Canadian hospital taking any US medical cards, only credit cards.

I asked that question awhile back at my local hospital (Montreal) on behalf of one of my US upstate NY neighbors and the answer was they do not.

If someone has written information to the contrary it would be good to know for our forum members.

... Eric

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

Gary Haupt

exportman
Explorer
Explorer
So much great information. Thanks so much. I am going with RBC which has a reasonable rate, good coverage and can book a policy for several days on the way to Alaska and then a separate policy when re-entering Canada from AK.
Thanks to Weasel4 and others for the input.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
darsben1 wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I am on medicare (Aetna) and just called them to verify coverage in Canada, I just asked about emergency coverage because that is what I was concerned about and they told me that I was covered,just show the the hospital the Aetna card.

Ask them what they cover Percentage wise. My insurance covers me in Canada but only to the extent that they will pay any excess OVER what medicare would have paid if the visit had been covered by medicare. Look at your policy do not take their word. The policy is the controlling document.

If it is true they will cover completely please PM me the name of the policy
ER care is the same as the US $75 per visit. This is a medicare advantage program.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
To satisfy my own curiosity I just called the major tertiary care facility in BC's lower mainland...one of the one's you get flown to if emergency care is required...and talked to their Finance/Billing people.

No hospital in BC, so likely in Canada, has a US tax number, and as a result, are not in the 'Health Insurance Network' so not able to bill any US health insurance carrier. The person has to pay, up front. Cash or credit card. Then claim reimbursement from your carrier.

Gary Haupt