cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Super Singles

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody running super singles on their class A???

For those of you unfamiliar with super singles they are a single WIDE tire/rim that replaces the duals on the rear axle(s) seen on some of the trucks on our highways.
They are very efficient BUT if you have a blowout your unable to limp to a station.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel
102 REPLIES 102

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
Mchero, you are the one confused. :S
Cement and trash trucks often use super singles on the front that are wider than the one used on a semi. Heck, many of the big DPs are using 365/80/22.5 on the steer and tag axles... I would call that a super single as they will carry more than the 17,000 lbs/axle allowed on a semi with tandem axles.

That isn't that big...a super single is usually a 445/50R22.5 size.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
In a previous lifetime (pre-retirement) we operated a small company fleet and used some super singles with mixed results. Some drivers liked them, some hated them but no one really loved them to the exclusion of the traditional duals.

Wet and slippery roads seemed to be an issue since most drivers felt that the traction was less with the singles. Off road was the same reactions.

Since we were a small operation our drivers often changed their own flats and could not move tires around to limp home with a single tire on the drive axles or use a rear tire on the steer axle to get home. This meant someone from our shop had to respond or road service calls were needed to get things moving again.

From an aesthetics point of view, I personally like the look of the big super single tires, but hate the look of the wheels. I like the deep dish look of the traditional duals.

If a coach came with them on it as standard ezuipment it wouldn't be a deal maker or breaker, but I personally wouldn't spend the money to change to them for any current reason.

But that's just my experience and opinions. Neither of which are worth much in this debate.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
TDInewguy wrote:
Groover wrote:
When you calculated the weight savings was that based on the original wheels being aluminum or steel?

One steel and one aluminum per side... that is what I calculated.

Steel - 79lbs
Aluminum - 49lbs
Super single aluminum- 56lbs

So I guess that your coach came with aluminum on the outside and steel on the inside. Do you know of any reason for this other than cost savings? My coach came with all steel rims and heavy wheelcovers that I would like to lighten up. I can't find super singles small enough to fit my coach so I guess that I will have to stick with duallies. Getting rid of 6 steel rims and 4 wheelcovers would have to help. I might even go with the lighter drums while at it. I hate messing with the wheelcovers to. Getting rid of them would have to make maintaining tire pressure easier.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

TDInewguy
Explorer
Explorer
First long trip is on the books...

I will say that I was facing an unusual amount of headwinds on this trip -- which can be seen at www.hint.fm

When the winds subsided I got a full tank measurement and that gave me roughly 5-6% improvement in fuel consumption. I have never broken 8mpg with this rig while towing and I was at 8.5 for much of the tank and it dropped a bit at the end due to rush hour in-town driving.

There will be more trips to show more data, but they have been pleasant to ride on.
SSSStefan

2009 Newmar AllStar 4154
2014 VW Passat TDI - toad!
Featherlite 28' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1

TDInewguy
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
When you calculated the weight savings was that based on the original wheels being aluminum or steel?

One steel and one aluminum per side... that is what I calculated.

Steel - 79lbs
Aluminum - 49lbs
Super single aluminum- 56lbs
SSSStefan

2009 Newmar AllStar 4154
2014 VW Passat TDI - toad!
Featherlite 28' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
"Bird Freak"......I didn't need to buy a Yugo years ago because I knew it was junk, I guess you may be different and need to experince failure to make an intelligent decision!

Last week I was looking at some brand new 2017 and 2018 coaches, they all had super singles.....NOT. The proof is in the pudding as they say.....you don't seem them on RV's. The ONLY reason to buy them is as a conversation piece. I guess if you need to something to talk about in a campground, buy a pair. You'll have both poeple talking to you and about you!
Must have touched a nerve.:B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I learned a long time ago you can't convince people to do things. Generally, people don't take advice, they just do what they want even though 'I' know it's not the right decision (I have no opinion on super singles).

People learn from their mistakes as I have. I'm still learning and will continue until the end (hope it's a long time away) LOL!

I say buy super singles if you want, does anybody really care?

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Bird Freak"......I didn't need to buy a Yugo years ago because I knew it was junk, I guess you may be different and need to experince failure to make an intelligent decision!

Last week I was looking at some brand new 2017 and 2018 coaches, they all had super singles.....NOT. The proof is in the pudding as they say.....you don't seem them on RV's. The ONLY reason to buy them is as a conversation piece. I guess if you need to something to talk about in a campground, buy a pair. You'll have both poeple talking to you and about you!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
"mchero"......If you want super singles, buy them! You've spent this entire thread chewing out people who didn't agree with your attempt to justify the purchase of them in your mind.

If they were all that great, there would be more than just a few RV's using them. Even worse is the attempt by the ONE owner to justify why he wasted his money. He would have been the smartest guy around if they had become popular and he got his at a low price, before they went up, but they didn't become popular.

There is ABSOLUTELY no value running them on an RV.....a point that is pretty hard to argue, but I'm sure some will try, at least two on here!
I don't see how you can make a statement like this without trying both so I would say its just another one sided opinion with nothing to back it up as most of these post are.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
J-Rooster wrote:
I'm a retired truck driver who hauled super singles on a converter dolly and some trailers. I do not like how they track! And I did see one time a semi driver who made a very sharp U Turn with a trailer full of can goods and the Super single tires seperated off the wheel rims. I really like how they look but I don't care for them. Good Luck with your Super Singles if you decide to purchase them.

I don't think that anyone is going to be dragging the rear axle of their motorhome sideways like you can with a fifth wheel trailer, especially one with 10' axle spacing.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a retired truck driver who hauled super singles on a converter dolly and some trailers. I do not like how they track! And I did see one time a semi driver who made a very sharp U Turn with a trailer full of can goods and the Super single tires seperated off the wheel rims. I really like how they look but I don't care for them. Good Luck with your Super Singles if you decide to purchase them.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
8 percent decrease in rolling resistance equals what? It does not equal an 8% reduction in fuel usage and it does not mean that you saved 8% on your fuel costs. You might save some fuel, but what happens if your one and only tire goes flat in the middle of nowhere? I had an inside dual go flat but I was able to limp to a town some 40 miles away without any damage to my coach. Would you be able to say the same?

You are correct but the 8% was mis-stated. That is actual fuel savings, not decrease in rolling resistance. The DOE ran tests and found savings of 6 to 10% on semi's with greater savings being on ones more heavily loaded. http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20090413/NEWS/304139989/super-singles-deliver-better-fuel-economy-doe-study

I just wonder how much extra fuel would be saved with the flat wheel covers that are getting more popular and if there are any that are not so ugly.

Since motorhomes have a different ratio of drive axles to total axles the savings may be less but still should be significant.

I had both inside tires on my coach go flat but it was because they were duals (the valve stem extensions leaked). The worst part was that I almost didn't notice because because they were on the inside. If I had gone on a trip that way I expect that at least one would have exploded doing untold damage to the coach. I have since installed TPMS but I am game for super singles if I can find any with a low enough profile. I am running 255/70 R22.5 tires.