cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for 5th wheel ideas

drwwicks
Explorer
Explorer
I previously had a Keystone Raptor 300mp and liked most of it. Good build quality, very usable just a bit short, 35.5'. I switched gears and got an Itasca Horizon 40"DP motorhome and put the motorcycle on a lift on the back. I am retired now and take longer trips, 3-4 months versions, plus some local 2-3 weekers. I don't haul 4 wheelers and plan extended boon docking. I also don't plan on sleeping more than 2 so bunks/lofts/extra sleeping is not a big deal. Used is OK 2-4 year old, I like letting other people take the depreciation hit.

I am tired of the bike arriving filthy and frankly, bouncing around on the back of a motorhome is hard on a $30K touring bike. So I'm looking at going the toy hauler route again. I did look briefly at a few models at the Tampa RV show but didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked.

So a few requirements/desires in my future travels;
37-40' with a double axle (NEGOTIABLE)
10-12' garage, full width garage
"better quality" construction methods and materials
Components such as solid surface counters, stainless sinks, porcelain toilet, REAL queen bed (not an RV length), bed that be walked around on 3 sides, 5+KW generator, single waste water dump location, 50amp service, dovetail rear garage floor to reduce the break angle, 1 piece roof that is walkable, 2 a/c ducted
Usable kitchen that can be cooked in
Sealed and heated basement area
Painted front cap, no decals
TV location that can be viewed while sitting normally, not straining neck
Lots of storage

Things that are not important;
half bath in mid section
Furniture that has blow up beds (usually they sit uncomfortably)
garage full of sofas/couches/beds

I previously had a Dodge 1T diesel dually 4WD as a tow vehicle and expect to get similar again. I don't want to get a toy hauler so long and heavy that MDT is required.

I reference to length and axles, other that being able to carry more weight, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a triple axle?

I know that owner loyalty is a big influence in opinions. Few want to admit they buy lemons without the knowledge to make lemonade. In the motorhome world, Thor makes some abysmal quality coaches, but they have glitz and are priced lower. Newel, Prevost make high quality but well out of my reach $$$$. I was impressed with the overall quality of the Raptor but will say the garage tie-downs should have been reinforced better and better sealing underneath in the garage corners to prevent water intrusion. Things you learn.

As this develops I'll likely add things that are needed for the vehicle.

Appreciate your patience in this long post and inquiry. Since looking at floor plans gets confusing, if posters have specific models they recommend that would be nice. No since recommending a 15' tagalong or 45' behemoth that needs Mac truck to pull.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL
16 REPLIES 16

RVbikers
Explorer
Explorer
We just pulled the trigger on a Prime Time Spartan. Check them out. They meet a lot of your criteria, if not all. Prime Time is a division of Forest River.
Prime Time Spartan
Keep true to the vision living in your head.
Jim & Evelyn
2015 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7L
2016 Prime Time Spartan 1242X
2012 Street Glide (his)
2004 Fatboy (hers)

Sprinks542
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
Sprinks542 wrote:
stro1965 wrote:
My Keystone Fuzion 325 seems to meet all of your requirements. Mine has a king bed (which I regret) but queen is standard. 38' long.

Odd question for you. Could you measure LxW of your mattres ? Mines supposed to be the King size also but we can find the correct sheets for it. I prefer fitted sheets and 68"x80" is not to be had.

Finally measured for you. It appears to be 68"x80".

Thanks...
15 Ford F-350 DRW PSD CC
17 417 Fuzion
15 Xds Turbo Maverick.
13 Maverick X rs
07 Can-Am Outlander 800
08 Can-Am Renegade 500

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Sprinks542 wrote:
stro1965 wrote:
My Keystone Fuzion 325 seems to meet all of your requirements. Mine has a king bed (which I regret) but queen is standard. 38' long.

Odd question for you. Could you measure LxW of your mattres ? Mines supposed to be the King size also but we can find the correct sheets for it. I prefer fitted sheets and 68"x80" is not to be had.

Finally measured for you. It appears to be 68"x80".
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Fuzion king in ours as well. I ordered a foam mattress topper for it in King size, and it was about 6" too wide. It was just a cheap topper so we'll make it work for now, or may try to cut it later. I was able to get the mattress pad and sheets to just stretch over it to help it "fold down" if that makes sense. Once I did that, the king size pad and sheets were able to be pretty fitted.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Weekend Warrior by Augusta RV --They sell Factory Direct

I just did a tour and looked at their Luxe-- coach they are a very good unit!!!!

I saw the weekend warrior...but didnt go thru it.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Sprinks542 wrote:
stro1965 wrote:

I'll try to get out there tomorrow and measure it for you.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

Sprinks542
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:

15 Ford F-350 DRW PSD CC
17 417 Fuzion
15 Xds Turbo Maverick.
13 Maverick X rs
07 Can-Am Outlander 800
08 Can-Am Renegade 500

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Brisk wrote:
stro1965 wrote:

Regret the King Bed????

Yes. Too hard to walk around it on the right side. Queen would have been just fine.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
stro1965 wrote:

Regret the King Bed????
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
Second Grand Design. We like the 397TH. Kinda set up for 2 with space to move around.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

limericc
Explorer
Explorer
Check the Grand Design 350 M
Crystal

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Our criteria was very similar to yours. We just bought a Keystone Impact 351. It's just over 38', 2 axles, 12'6" garage, and pretty much everything on your list. It's also built on a Fuzion frame and has the Fuzion tie down system so it's a bit nicer than you normally find in a mid-range toy hauler.

We only found 2 other campers that fit our criteria of under 40 feet with 2 axles, but a 12'+ garage. One was the Dutchman Triton by Voltage 3451. It was lower priced than the Impact but felt pretty cheap both finish wise, and in the lacking of features like auto-leveling. The other was the Carbon 347 which was OK, but it had a popout in the front side vs on the back and I don't like that as it cuts off the front "patio" space. Also our old toyhauler was basically a Carbon (was a Raptor 27FS, which is now a Carbon 27) so we were looking for something slightly nicer.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Grand Design. They build some nice toy haulers and from everything I've heard their quality is supposed to be better than most. Also there's not a toy hauler on the market that you can't tow with a newer Dodge or Ford dually diesel with 4.10 gears.
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat