c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
2015 Summer Journey
Leaving Chena Hot Springs
Dalton Highway
Alaska Crossing part 10

July 03, 2015
It was an enjoyable time at Chena Hot Springs and other adventures were waiting for us. We had gotten used to the ever abundant rain fall during our journey and last night was of no exception. Before leaving I took advantage of their RV dump, water potable and non-potable. On the way back to Fairbanks, I wanted to check out a couple of waysides that were spotted on our way in.

Right at the North fork of the Chena River is a nice wayside with a fire ring, picnic table and pit toilets along the Chena River. While there, a racket of noise arose and from under the highway bridge an air boat appeared.

As it turned out the owner of that air boat choose this place to trailer his boat, the water was lower than when they had launch earlier. Julie and I sucked around to see them trailer their boat for they had to go over a gravel bar in the river.

YouTube: Air Boat Landing

Ron and Ron were able to trailer their boat and headed home from there, as for us we continue on to Fairbanks, traffic was sparse till we arrived back at Fairbanks.

We would be spending the night in Fairbanks at the Wal-Mart parking lot, mean while I used the internet at Barnes & Noble to make reservation for the Arctic Tour in Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, pay some bills, e-mail check. Just a little note about this Barnes & Noble, they have a fire place in the round with some very comfortable reclining chairs and excellent internet.

July 04, 2015, Saturday, Dalton Highway, Deadhorse/ Prudhoe Bay
This morning weโ€™re head for the โ€œHaul โ€œroad, Iโ€™ve made reservation for the โ€œArctic Tourโ€ through Deadhorse Camp. The schulde tour was a few days away giving us plenty of time to travel on the โ€œHaulโ€ road.
One more visit at the Sourdough fuel station on Airport Way to top our tanks up and dump whatever was in the waste tanks.

Making our way back to the Johansen expressway and catching Alaska SR2. Along the way there were a few things seen.

Heading north on the Alaska SR2

One could stop here to get an up and personal look at the pipe line.

Atvs buzzing on the opposite of the highway from us and along this SR2 there are plenty of parks to pull into for fishing and boating.

Weโ€™re just a little bit past Wickersham Dome Trail and a warning sign on the highway was posted.

Smoke from the somewhat close hill was showing.

Further on down the road there is a wayside that very good for looking at the distance smoke. Once parked there I had asked other people about the fire, I was told it was about a mile across and unless it endangered any home or the pipeline they just let burn itself out.

Motoring on we passed by close to the road smoke and fire, a passing helicopter was on its way to drop water flew over us.

Spotting another wayside, that gave us a better view of the column of smoke.At this angle the sun was shining through the rising smoke giving a sure real look to it.

Enough of the smoke watching, back on the road with the Alaskan pipeline diving in and out of the trees.

SR2 had many sections that had been patched over, some good and some not so well.

Dalton Highway (SR10) dead ahead wee reached the turn off for the Haul road.

Well we are here; it started off being somewhat on the washboard side, but not enough to lower the tire pressure.

A few more miles and the famous Haul Road sign appeared.

We have plenty of time to arrive at Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay and the speed limit on the Haul road was only 50 m.p.h. this road was busier that I thought it would be.

There would be long stretches of road where the only thing seen was the pipeline and the tree line road. Several steep grades would lie before us, nothing that my truck couldnโ€™t handle.

A road construction stop was ahead of us, we would be behind a fifth wheel for a number of miles by choice. A trucker on the other end honked his horn for us to proceed.

Coming across a large area of what appeared to be a recovering burn area.

One of the things that I found surprising is there is more asphalt road than I had read about, some good, some very bad.

Traffic had died down to almost nothing, and the pipeline once again made itself known. A couple of crosses we did see memorial loved one long loss.

Spying a nice looking lake near the highway we made a short stop to take it in.

Back on the road there were a couple of vehicles headed towards us and it wasnโ€™t long before the sighting of the Yukon River and the bridge we would soon be crossing to be seen.

YouTbe: Yukon River crossing

Making a short stop at the BLM on the other side one has pass under the pipeline. By the time we stared back on the road some people we has passed up caught up with us.

Leaving the Yukon River area seeing other travelers till we reached 60 mile BLM campsite was sparse, an class C rental on way south was all that was seen.

Next to 60 mile camp is the famous Hot Spot Cafรฉ, which we would visit on our return leg. The BLM campsite was open area with some picnic tables, just pick anyone.

Worn down by a good day motoring, sleep was calling to me. A quick dinner and put the sun blockers in place, sleep came shortly. A loud explosion occurred, jerking me straight up and hitting my head on the ceiling, then another one. What the helloo was going on!, I stuck my head out of the hatch over the bed only to behold a group of people by the Hot Spot Cafรฉ and their version of fireworks. Two guys with safety vest on, one handling a sling shot and the other lighting the fuse of whatever was in the sling shot and off it flew in the air reaching high heights and cal- boom, after all it was the 4th of July.

Thanks to everyone for reading my TCTRs, all comments are welcome and if you have any questions ask them here or PM me.
Link to 2015 Alaska Crossing,part9

Working on part 11 of our 2015 Summer Journey, Alaska Crossing, I will post it as soon as itโ€™s done.
Thanks, c.traveler2 (Alex Blasingame).
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog
8 REPLIES 8

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Two Hands,allygerry,Ramp Digger, jefe 4x4, Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli.

Thanks to all of you for following along on my TCTRs.

bigfootford, The "Old Denali road" is just as bad as the "Haul Road" as for dirt and mud.

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Great TR! We did Alaska a couple of years ago.. July/Aug... It rained a lot. We did the dalton and Top of the world.. The roads were really mushy and bad...

Our blog: The blog starts with the end of the trip.. You can click on the Archive and start where you want...

https://northtoalaska2014.tumblr.com

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Couple more years.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Alex,
Thanks again. I"m reminded of the old song, "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places."
Bro john and I (1 bro and 4 bro) will be plying the sands of northern Death Valley next week. Since it is Holy Week, there should be a lot of people about. Where we will be, not so many.
jefe

Thanks,jefe4x4, hope you and John enjoy your adventure into DV. Are you going to the hot springs?

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Alex,
Thanks again. I"m reminded of the old song, "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places."
Bro john and I (1 bro and 4 bro) will be plying the sands of northern Death Valley next week. Since it is Holy Week, there should be a lot of people about. Where we will be, not so many.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Great pics. We really enjoyed your trip report.Looking forward to the next one.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

allygerry
Explorer
Explorer
love the pics and the trip report another excellent job.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Great photos! Thanks for posting!
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"