cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could use a little help with my Full timing scenario

blctex
Explorer
Explorer
I will try to make this as short as possible. We currently own a house in a small town in East TX. The wife has stayed there for the last 3.5 years while I have been spending most of my time in an rv living and working in the West TX oil fields. Well the time has come to sell the house and move her out to West TX with me. We have decided that because of the oil field and the nature of the housing market it creates, it will be better for us to purchase a large toy hauler to live in long term. We are still about 10 years from retirement so we won't be traveling and moving around like a typical full timer. My current rv actually hasn't move in 2 years.

I have been recieving mail at a p.o. box at the local Post Office in West Texas. I have tried to research what pitfalls may be out there for us as we make this change. But as the available info mostly deals with changing everything from state to state for domecile purposes and the challenges that are faced with really being on the move. It all gets real wonky for me to try and apply to my own situation. I was hoping that someone here has dealt with a similar situation and point me in the right direction or highlight the possible hazards. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
25 REPLIES 25

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are paying cash buy the new RV before you sell the house. Many lenders won't lend you the money for the RV if you don't have a permanent sticks & bricks home.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

jimpaar
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK, thank you so much for the kind response and information. Great to hear and happy RVing.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
It has ALWAYS been the case that you didn't need to worry about inspections if out of state. It has only been the past 3 yrs when they went to 1 sticker that you had to certify that you are out of state. And by fall it looks like that requirement will go away.

WE got our Class A licenses (we can pull over 10K with out MH) in 2006. Have renewed them by mail and in person, just can't renew online.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

jimpaar
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK,

Thanks for the insight from someone that is licensed in Texas, it is hard to get straight information from the internet. Whatever I have read states you must get inspected once a year and pass the non-commercial Class B license. All my information has came from state sources.

Thanks

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
cmcdar wrote:
There is one more thing you may want to think about and that is If you sell your house and do not reinvest any money you gain on the sale you will be nailed with a capitol gains tax.

I have seen a number of folks end up renting out their home.

Only if you have more than a $500,000 gain if married filing jointly.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, you're exempt from gains tax then.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

blctex
Explorer
Explorer
cmcdar wrote:
There is one more thing you may want to think about and that is If you sell your house and do not reinvest any money you gain on the sale you will be nailed with a capitol gains tax.

Way outside the 2 of the last 5 years. So all the money is mine and don't have to share. That being said it will be put away to grow for the retirement home, which will be a 45ft or so sailboat moving around the bahama's and Caribbean. Come on 10 yrs...

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
JimParr,

Why are you posting incorrect information? No one who has a RV in Texas is required to get a CDL license. Some might have to get an enhanced license, which requires a 20 question written test and a 20-minute driving test, neither of which are a problem to pass. It is based upon weight of MH (over 26000 lbs).

And if you are out-of-state, you DO NOT HAVE TO RETURN FOR AN INSPECTION. You just renew your registration online and certify that you are out-of-state and will have it inspect when you return. Our coach hasn't been inspected in years because we haven't passed through with the coach. Plus looks like by the fall, no one will be having to have safety inspections done any longer, just emission testings in the big metro areas.

One should not post 'hearsay' information.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

jimpaar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks blctex for the insight. I'll I am trying to state is the red tape you have to go through in Texas is much greater than Florida. I agree with having licensing people in a class to be safer on the road. I flew 23 years as a flight medic and have seen plenty of accidents involving RV's and many more truckers being foolish on the roads.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer

HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

blctex
Explorer
Explorer
jimpaar wrote:
blctex, I think you misread the statement although I did say commercial license. I have a Class A Motorhome and to operate a Class A Motorhome over 26,000 lbs. in the State of Texas you must have a non-commerrical Class B which is similar testing to a commercial and requires a lot to keep it. In Florida they do not require a Class B.
Here is a good reference to follow: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
In Texas anything Above 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR (while towing > 10,000 lb) requires non-commercial Class A or B

Didn't misread anything a class a or class b does not mean it is commercial in texas it means you are licensed for that weight for your personal vehicle. A class a cdl is completly different for regulations. All I wanted to do was let readers know that a commercial license is not required in Texas but as you said a simple class a or class b depending on weight and brake type and other variables. They are easy to get after tests written and driving and then I believe just renewals after that. My CDL Class A with all endorsements, double/triples, passenger,motorcycle,combination,air brake,and hazmat(homeland securitybank ground check) for renewal every 5 years is hazmat test and background to keep that endorsement and pay my money to the state and keep physical current. Just trying to illustrate the differences between the two but bottom line is yes a license is needed to drive the larger class motorhome and as a Texan I am glad we do.

blctex
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
jimpaar wrote:
blctex, I think you misread the statement although I did say commercial license. I have a Class A Motorhome and to operate a Class A Motorhome over 26,000 lbs. in the State of Texas you must have a non-commerrical Class B which is similar testing to a commercial and requires a lot to keep it. In Florida they do not require a Class B.
Here is a good reference to follow: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
In Texas anything Above 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR (while towing > 10,000 lb) requires non-commercial Class A or B

That sounds like another reason I may pick a travel trailer over a motorhome. I suppose I can operate a Ford F-350 pulling a travel trailer with a regular Texas license, or does that require a special license? It wouldn't be a deciding factor, but it's a significant factor to me.

The short answer is no you do not need one with any travel trailer with the f350.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
jimpaar wrote:

That sounds like another reason I may pick a travel trailer over a motorhome. I suppose I can operate a Ford F-350 pulling a travel trailer with a regular Texas license, or does that require a special license? It wouldn't be a deciding factor, but it's a significant factor to me.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

jimpaar
Explorer
Explorer