cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Tires

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
It is time to take the plunge and buy new tires for my 12 year old class A motorhome. They have 29,000 miles on them and look good for the most part,but I know that the age is more important than the mileage. The old tires are 245/70R/19.5 Michelin XRV.
I am looking for help with the brand. I have always loved Michelin tires but am open to listen about other brands to consider. I have heard Goodyear G622 or BF Goodrich are alternatives to Michelin. Any thoughts on this from others? I am also considering selling the RV soon and adding new tires would help the sale.
22 REPLIES 22

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had many brands on my coach and Michelin have been the best. However, BF Goodrich and Michelin are the same tire. Look into the FMCA discount and look at the BF Goodrich brand. That will be my next new tire(s).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I blew two tire a year ago on our 2011 same trip different days. They were Goodyears OEM. Its a lot cheaper to replace with Michelins on a planned basis than have a roadservice deliver a generic. And if you want a thrill, blow a front tire at 65 mph in traffic.

str8shooter_mn
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have 38k miles on our class A 2011 38' MH.
Question I have, is how to determine when to replace the tires?
All the tires have even wear. Have had a tire rotation, balance, and alignment every year. Tires are Goodyear 19.5" RV670's.
There appears to be a "rib" in the middle of each tread. At which point in depth should I consider replacing the tires?
Thank You for any feedback.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
JL7456 wrote:
I finally took the plunge and put six new tires on the MH last week. I got the Cooper Roadmaster RM170. The dealer put 100 psi in the tires and I am feeling like they are overinflated. I feel like I do not have the control I was used to on the old tires. I ran 90psi in my old Michelin's. I would like to hear what others have to say about tire pressure. I am considering letting some air out and giving that a try on the next trip.

If they are the same size and load rating as the old tires, they would require the same inflation pressure as well.

Standard and proper practice is to get actual axle weights for your rig with it loaded (unless you know that information already) and inflate based on the tables the tire manufacturers put out for the load on each axle. Anything else is at best a guess. Typically the tire pressures listed on the placards the manufacturers put on vehicles are based on maximum gross and axle weights and so may be unnecessarily conservative for actual use. They also would only apply to the stated size and load rating of tires.

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
I finally took the plunge and put six new tires on the MH last week. I got the Cooper Roadmaster RM170. The dealer put 100 psi in the tires and I am feeling like they are overinflated. I feel like I do not have the control I was used to on the old tires. I ran 90psi in my old Michelin's. I would like to hear what others have to say about tire pressure. I am considering letting some air out and giving that a try on the next trip.

RandyBrendaNick
Explorer
Explorer
I am really lost on what tire to buy for our Coach. i had the Toyo M154s they rode great first few years and got hard. My wife says gotta have tire that rides smooth, I told her that is a tall order when looking at a 38ft coach and crappy roads. I looked at the Yokohamas and they talk smooth ride and run about $2200.00 for 6 compared to $3600.00 for 6 Bridgestone. I dont mind paying for a good tire, but price doesn't mean they are the best. Can anyone shed some light on the tires 265-75R-22.5

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
Today I looked at Cooper Tires...Roadmaster RM170. "H" rating and the price was half the price of the Michelin tires. Anyone have any Cooper tires on their MH? I hear they are made in China and run a little stiffer than other brands.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Been running Bridgestone tires on our coach for past 14 years, great tires no problems with them over the years. Highly recommend them.

Good luck with your choice and safe travels.....
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for all of the great information and advice. I will broaden my range of tires to include the brands mentioned in all of the posts.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
B F Goodrich if you're selling. They are good tires, owned by Michelin but are much cheaper. We had BF Goodrich ST230's Load range H on our Class A and were very happy with them. We bought Michelin's this time because of a bit softer ride. You can check with FMCA to see if BF Goodrich is included in their discount program. I think they are.

Yes, the FMCA Michelin program includes B.F. Goodrich tires.

https://www.fmca.com/benefits/michelin-advantage.html

You can also buy Continental tires for your RV through FMCA Fleet Discount Program:

https://www.fmca.com/benefits/continental-tire-program.html
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
B F Goodrich if you're selling. They are good tires, owned by Michelin but are much cheaper. We had BF Goodrich ST230's Load range H on our Class A and were very happy with them. We bought Michelin's this time because of a bit softer ride. You can check with FMCA to see if BF Goodrich is included in their discount program. I think they are.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my Goodyears with BFG ST230's on a 19.5 rim. Was VERY happy with them. Saved a LOT of $$$ over the Michelin's, even after looking at the discounts available. Difference in price was about $175 per tire. Savings paid for a TPMS system, Tire covers, and more!

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelin is a great tire brand no doubt, but for price and performance on an RV I prefer Hankook. They are great tires at reasonable prices.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Fleetwood_Coupl
Explorer
Explorer
Last year decided to bit the bullet and go with the Michelin, but bought them while I was in MT so there was no tax! If I was selling it I guess I would understand the hesitation.
2006 Fleetwood Expedition 38n
300 Cat Engine (MP-8 Performance Module)
Retired US Navy SCPO