cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From El Paso to PV

insask
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking for advice in making the trip from El Paso to PV via Maz. Places to stop for the night? Or longer? We will try to travel about 8 hours per day but could shorten the days if there are good places to stop for a day or 2.
15 REPLIES 15

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I will advice all of you:

DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT!

It is asking for trouble specially close to the border.

navegator

peterth
Explorer
Explorer
You can forget the Rv park at Chihuahua it is a no longer. We tried to stay there last year in June, they did not even want us to stay on there lot so 5km towards the city is a nice friendly Pemex and we spent the night there.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Jimenez has some large abandoned buildings made out of adobe. I don't know if they were warehouses or factories or what but they made great boondocking spots. Parral is a beautiful town and the people are very friendly. The downtown shopping area is like a 1950s Main St. Both are worth seeing.

We need to get back to Chihuahua. The state and federal government spent quite a bit on infrastructure both in highways and the canyons. It is a must see for Mexico. Of course, I am the wrong person to answer this. I love all of Mexico. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

insask
Explorer
Explorer
So no one knows which highway I should take. The one thru Jimenez or thru Parral? Or should I travel thru Presidio down #67.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Last time we went thu was from Creel to the Pemex I noted earlier. Just looked over at the KOA RV Park behind the Pemex as we went pass and was still there, 8 years ago!!! We generally stay at Pemex until we get to our end destination.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped at that old RV park next to the Pemex west of Chihuahua must be 5 years or more ago and it was practically done for at that time - we were the only ones there but there was a sort of caretaker - at least he said he was - local people living there. Check in at the Pemex cashier. I have heard it is closed but I think people do stay in the Pemex.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Which RV Park in Chihuahua? The Pemex to the west that used to be a KOA? Is it still up and running? It's been 15 years since we were there, might try it in the fall.

Talleyho69
Ah, but driving in Mexico is "different." If you have to do any paperwork, it can take a while, or not.

How's your Spanish? Not necessary, but makes paperwork go SO much faster and easier.

insask
Explorer
Explorer
Thru Jimenez or thru Parral? Which highway would be best? Google maps says 620 or 660 miles I think I can do this in 2 days 1 night easy.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Try the Santa Teresa crossing in New Mexico, a few miles west of El Paso. Bypass the questionable El Paso area.

X2,

First night after crossing stay at Pemex at N29deg24' 02.06", W106deg25' 01.45", park under light and go inside to ask permission and offer at least 5 pesos. Next day easy to RV Park in Chihuahua. Then next night you will make it to Durango. More campsites on "Travel with Kevin and Ruth", http://www.travelwithkevinandruth.com/. The travel down to Mazatlan.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I can give ypou a spot or 2 camp in Durango before you take the hwy dpwn to maz.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Try the Santa Teresa crossing in New Mexico, a few miles west of El Paso. Bypass the questionable El Paso area.

Talleyho69
Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. Yes, abbreviations can be tough. Better to write them out!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Ok El Paso I know but PV to Maz?
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold