cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for anyone who uses a Verizon MiFi 6620L

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at purchasing a 6620L only because it appears that they may have a port for an external antenna. There are several antenna adapters on the market that say they fit the 6620L but the online PDF manual identifies the only exterior post as a "diagnostic" port. Can anyone say, for sure, that this is an antenna port? I need to be able to use an external yagi to reach the nearest tower from my lake house.

I have a Wilson Sleek, but it doesn't work well. I sent it back and Wilson tested it "OK".
27 REPLIES 27

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
jcpainter wrote:
I have the AC791L (the model before the 7730L) and it has great range. Check your settings in the jetpack's control panel and select long range broadcast. On the AC791L, the setting is here:

Jetpack Settings-> scroll down to WiFi Options-> then select either "Short", "Medium" or "Long" range.

There should be a similar setting on your model.

After talking with them, it seams they decided to take that feature away with the replacement models. They say they even have a new model, out April 20. It also lacks that feature.

Well golleee, gee willikers!!! One more reason to stay with the AC791L!

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
I have the AC791L (the model before the 7730L) and it has great range. Check your settings in the jetpack's control panel and select long range broadcast. On the AC791L, the setting is here:

Jetpack Settings-> scroll down to WiFi Options-> then select either "Short", "Medium" or "Long" range.

After talking with them, it seams they decided to take that feature away with the replacement models. They say they even have a new model, out April 20. It also lacks that feature.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We like our 6620L for its hotspot capabilities as well its ability to power a cell phone if needed.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
In light of recent developments,I guess I'll rejuvenate this thread instead of starting a new one.

I bought a Verizon 7730L Jet Pack. I've found out two important things. The reception range and speed are, at best, not quite equal to that of the Galaxy S5 I replaced. I was using the S5 exclusive as a hot spot. Second, the range of the wifi output range is nowhere near comparable to that of the S5.

For example, I can place the Jet Pack on my motor home dash and can't get a signal from the bedroom.

I am still trying to work with the antenna access points in the Jet Pack to see if I can get a better incoming signal. I guess you could say the Jet Pack is weak, coming and going.

For years, Charter has been so arrogant in their pricing as an IP with little competition, in my area.

With the new, "unlimited data" plan, my original objective was to give Charter the boot. I still have that objective, but, unless I can achieve a more reliable Verison wifi signal to use throughout my home, my plan looks bleak.

Maybe they'll put a new tower on my street some day.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I actually have an S4 I let my 9 yr. old granddaughter use for camera, google, etc. I also have the S5 and a Note 3 that are no longer activated. Either makes a good hot spot. I bought the 7730L Jet pack, thinking the ability to connect to a yagi would make it outstanding to use as my hot spot. With a yagi mounted above my chimney and peaked out, I have been less than impressed. This is my second attempt at a Jet Pack. I had high expectations for this one, being the latest and greatest from Verizon, but have been thoroughly disappointed.

I expected the Jet Pack to out preform an old cell phone but found the opposite to be the case.

MrWizard
why not buy a used or refurbished S4

mine works great, i have thought about buying another one to have as backup

must be a good phone, a used S4 cost more than a new Moto G
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
In light of recent developments,I guess I'll rejuvenate this thread instead of starting a new one.

I bought a Verizon 7730L Jet Pack. I've found out two important things. The reception range and speed are, at best, not quite equal to that of the Galaxy S5 I replaced. I was using the S5 exclusive as a hot spot. Second, the range of the wifi output range is nowhere near comparable to that of the S5.

For example, I can place the Jet Pack on my motor home dash and can't get a signal from the bedroom.

I am still trying to work with the antenna access points in the Jet Pack to see if I can get a better incoming signal. I guess you could say the Jet Pack is weak, coming and going.

For years, Charter has been so arrogant in their pricing as an IP with little competition, in my area.

With the new, "unlimited data" plan, my original objective was to give Charter the boot. I still have that objective, but, unless I can achieve a more reliable Verison wifi signal to use throughout my home, my plan looks bleak.

Maybe they'll put a new tower on my street some day.

MrWizard
KEN
do you mean the celluar connection

the sleek cell amp or external antenna are for better CELL TOWER connection

not wifi connection between hotspot and PC

if the PC is not close to the hotspot, the option is a wifi extender/router
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have the 6620L. I have an earlier model (maybe 2200). I have researched methods to improve the wifi signal, and I am convinced you can't do it. If the wifi signal is week, no amount of amplifying will help. I have seen several guys with $500 worth of equipment, and they can not improve the signal.
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
As the OP, let me apologize for stringing this out, but I have just one request for help.

I think I have settled on the 7730L with two antenna ports instead of the 6620L. It will be used as my primary home access as well as on-the-road.

At home, I am thinking of installing a Wilson Yagi, aimed at the closest known Verizon source and maybe using the second antenna port for an omnidirectional.

Would this be the best way to utilize the two antenna ports or would it be better to "Y" the ports to the Yagi antenna?

After a good bit of experimenting, I have determined that my Sleek 4G is not working. I have tried it with a variety of antennas and see no improvement in the -dBm and asu numbers.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
We use the 6620 sitting in our Wilson Sleek which has a Wilson Trucker antenna hooked up to it.
cpaulsen

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
model 2B515

IIRC LTE is in the 700mhz band NOT the 800mhz

I actually built the 800 mHz yagi back in the early 2000's specifically for use in a campground where I couldn't get a phone signal. It accomplished what it was made for back then. I just tried it along with the Wilson Yagi, a Trucker and a magnetic mount on a steel plate. For some reason, the homemade yagi seems to work the best.

jcpainter wrote:
Verizon's AC791L Jetpack (made by Netgear) has a pair of REAL antenna ports

I have been looking at this model as well as the 7730L. I see a "Y" adapter made to plug into both ports at the same time. I have never seen anything like this. Maybe it is better than one. I'm no expert, but I can't see the advantage of two ports and connecting them together.

The purpose of the dual antenna ports is to support external MIMO antenna setups. If you are using a non-MIMO antenna (single antenna) try connecting the antenna to each of the ports to see which one performs best.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
model 2B515

IIRC LTE is in the 700mhz band NOT the 800mhz

I actually built the 800 mHz yagi back in the early 2000's specifically for use in a campground where I couldn't get a phone signal. It accomplished what it was made for back then. I just tried it along with the Wilson Yagi, a Trucker and a magnetic mount on a steel plate. For some reason, the homemade yagi seems to work the best.

jcpainter wrote:
Verizon's AC791L Jetpack (made by Netgear) has a pair of REAL antenna ports

I have been looking at this model as well as the 7730L. I see a "Y" adapter made to plug into both ports at the same time. I have never seen anything like this. Maybe it is better than one. I'm no expert, but I can't see the advantage of two ports and connecting them together.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon's AC791L Jetpack (made by Netgear) has a pair of REAL antenna ports, plus it has several other benefits over the 6620. The ports on the 6620 are test ports, and although they can be used as antenna adapter cables, they are quite fragile and can be easily damaged.

The AC791L would be a much better choice.