Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Metal adhesive ?

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
Im trying to find buy adhesive glue for aluminum to aluminum and steel such as those used in auto industry..

Problem is all places I contacted do not sell to private individuals only busineses..

Any suggestions?

Thanks
41 REPLIES 41

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Or use what industry uses: VHB
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if Eternabond Doublestick would work for the OP's application?
Tom & Carol

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I found that Home depot also sell small tubes of epoxy adhesive good for steel or aluminum,cost about 10$.. ok for small jobs

TankerDude
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
3M panel Bond is what I use when glueing body panels on cars. It is every bit as strong as welding when used correctly. Only downside is that it is expensive and requires a $75 gun to apply it. You can order it from O'reily auto parts or Advance auto Parts as well as Napa and stuff.

I found myself in need of some adhesive to stick painted fiberglass to painted steel. Looked around on the web and found another 3M product: Structural Adhesive. A two-part adhesive that comes in tubes about the size of a medium toothpaste tube. No special tools required, but don't waste any time between mixing and application. I found it at O'Reilys as well. About $35, and believe me, the stuff works. Just follow instructions and prep both surfaces well.

Update: I have used epoxy kits from Lowes, HD, etc as well. Please be aware that the structural adhesive I mentioned is NOT "same stuff, different packaging". The 3M Structural Adhesive is not something readily available to the general public. I have NEVER seen it sitting on a shelf, ready for sale, in any store visited by regular folks needing an adhesive. I've only seen it on 3M website, and only found it available to order at OReilys because one of their parts runners visited my business & mentioned he'd delivered it to another customer.
2005 F350 King Ranch PSD LB CC DRW 4x4.
2007 Jayco Eagle 322 FKS.

SASS members aka Texas Toast and Goddess.

Camping with DW Terry,
Bobi-Sue and Billy-Joe,
Westhighland White Terriers

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with adhesives having their place but to say welding is obsolete is just not true. With the cars having bodies getting thinner and thinner each year they don't have much of a choice but to use adhesives to glue them together. Other there to weld anymore lol. Not to mention aluminum bodies. I would have suggested places to call but you found what you're looking for. At 70 bucks you found the right stuff. If it was 15 bucks you would be looking again later lol.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I rather doubt welding (at least welding that could be done with modest equipment by amateurs) would work very well if at all for joining aluminum to steel, which was one of the things the OP was interested in doing.

I'm also pretty sure that any welding I might attempt would have very little chance of securely joining anything to anything else at present, but that's not true for everybody.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
The_real_wild1 wrote:
Obsolete huh? I sure do a lot of welding for it to be obsolete lol.

I do bit of welding myself when no other choice,,however glues and adhesives have way more advantages in many jobs,,
Most new cars use adhesives nowadays to great advantage

https://youtu.be/TKHO-ygCGwc

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
Obsolete huh? I sure do a lot of welding for it to be obsolete lol.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
The_real_wild1 wrote:
Welding works great. Where in Canada are you? I can't recommend a place to buy a product if you live across the country.

Welding is obsolete,watch this

https://youtu.be/VjCYCmtEIpQ

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Update folks
Nearest Cross Canada auto paint store had exactly what I need,
,its two part epoxy urethane mix,,in tubes,made for gluing replacement metal panels on cars,instead of spot welding like in the old days.
Its name is Pliogrip made by Ashland chemicals..
Only downside is,its darn expensive,70$ a tube..

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
Welding works great. Where in Canada are you? I can't recommend a place to buy a product if you live across the country.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
phays wrote:
Try 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant. I used to re-attach a fender panel on my motor home. Fiberglas plastic to metal and it worked well. I think there is another similar formulation that is marked Permanent.

The 5200 is the permanent one. 4200 is not and is used when pieces may be disassembled.
3MA Adhesive and Sealants
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
check out a gm dealer
http://www.genuinegmparts.com/pdf/techinfo/metal-panel-bonding.pdf

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
phays wrote:
Try 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant. I used to re-attach a fender panel on my motor home. Fiberglas plastic to metal and it worked well. I think there is another similar formulation that is marked Permanent.

Thank you,,will try that