cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing TT

piconroy
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this gets some responses from seasoned tow-ers. Anyway we are looking at 21-26' Winne TTs with GVWR of 7000/7500 lbs. Would be towing with a 2014 5.8ltr 4dr 2wd Tundra SR with tow pkg and aftermarket break controller. It's rated to tow up to 11,200 lbs. BUT eventually someone correctly pointed out that the hitch is only rated up to 5,000 lbs and that I would need a WD system. Okay, fine no problem but even with the WD is that hitch adequate? I have to double check but I think the Tundra payload is 1500 lbs but does have a Leer Cap on it. Over the next 5-6 years we plan to cover some serious ground with our package. Based in FL we would make several trips out west, upper midwest, and northeast. Additional info; I have towed this kind of weight before with the Tundra. 21' Grady White back and forth to the Chesapeake annually and a fully loaded and probably overloaded 16' box trailer. While they were never a problem (just like they were not even back there) the more I research the more I question my past judgement. So, if anyone has advice it would surely be appreciated. ALSO ANY ADVICE ON TRAVEL TRAILER BRANDS (choices) would be great too, especially the Winne. This industry's reputation can be very dubious and I would really like to avoid mistakes and just not step into more problems than I need. to PAT
8 REPLIES 8

marc71
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2010 Tundra 4 door double cab 4x4 with the 5.7 and tow a 32' Forrest River Surveyor trailer weighing in somewhere around 9,000#s. I have the ez lift WD hitch and started out using the sway control that came with it but found it handles better without it. We've towed thousands of mikes with this set up, no issues to speak of.

Our last long haul was VA to Tallladega, AL, to Nashville, TN and from there to Martinsville, VA and home. The hills between Nashville and Martinsville were no match for our set up, the Tundra did quite well.

Just before that trip I added Firestone Ride-Rite airbags and was even happier with our towing experience, helped take the shock out of our wonderful interstates.

I'd have to question the 5000# capacity of the hitch on your truck, Are you looking at the numbers on the bumper??? I believe that shows 500lb tongue weight and 5000lb trailer weight. Our Tundra has a class 4 hitch which I believe is rated for 12000lbs and 1200 lb tongue weight with WD hitch, both of which exceed the trucks specs but the hitch was on the truck when we purchased it.

Happy Travels with whatever you decide to get.
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD double cab 4x4
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32 BHDS
Prodigy Brake Control
Eaz-Lift WD - Eaz-Lift sway control

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
My name is Tim, I am an RV tower. (Respond, Hi! Tim) I have an RV that is in the 7000# capacity range and I used a distribution hitch with a sway bar. My wife complained of the ride and lasting discomfort. Happy wife happy life and conversely not to mention you have to sleep sometime. This being within the capacity of an Andersen hitch I made the purchase, installation and hoped for the best. Result, better ride, easier hook-up and happier wife. 2 cost maybe but refer to above. Forgot to mention, often w/o looking in mirrors I nearly forget we have a trailer attached, except when noticing fuel consumption.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I can say is that my Tundra handles my trailer quite well. The Winnebago 2201DS weighs in around 6500 lbs. loaded for traveling. We travel with two folding bikes and other gear in the truck bed along with miscellaneous stuff on the back seat. It's only the DW and me in the truck. The 4pt Equalizer hitch works well, and traveling out west (Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Parks) wasn't a problem. The Tundra handled the mountains better than I expected. In general, I think the Tundra can handle around 7,000 lbs. if properly set up with a WD hitch. Our trailer is under 27' and I tend to think it would be better to avoid anything longer than 28' as the longer the trailer, it becomes a bigger sail.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Anyway we are looking at 21-26' Winne TTs with GVWR of 7000/7500 lbs. Would be towing with a 2014 5.8ltr 4dr 2wd Tundra SR with tow pkg and aftermarket break controller. It's rated to tow up to 11,200 lbs. BUT eventually someone correctly pointed out that the hitch is only rated up to 5,000 lbs and that I would need a WD system"
My Winnie is rated GVWR 7,000 pounds but fully loaded and wet it's just barely over 5,000, and its pulls great with my Tahoe's 1,595 payload capacity. Very close to what you have. I would suggest upgrading your hitch.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
If the hitch is only rated 5,000 lbs, you'll need to replace it. Whether you use a WDH or not, 5,000 is still less than 7,000. A WDH changes the way the tongue weight gets distributed but does not alter the total weight.
It is probably rated 5000 WC and ???? WD.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
If the hitch is only rated 5,000 lbs, you'll need to replace it. Whether you use a WDH or not, 5,000 is still less than 7,000. A WDH changes the way the tongue weight gets distributed but does not alter the total weight.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
That size and weight is perfect for the Tundra.

There is no Tundra with an 11,200lbs tow rating anymore under the new SAE standards. Not sure where you got that number from. The highest available is a regular cab 2x4 at 10,400. With 1500lbs payload as you say, I would suspect yours is a double cab model? It's tow rating would be 10,100lbs.

You were given incorrect info on the hitch as well. The receiver is rated for 500lbs without a wd hitch. It is good for up to 10 percent of its tow rating with one.(1,010lbs).

If you plan a lot of x-country trips, upgrade the tires to E rated ones if not already equipped. The stock P rated ones are pretty soft. Any good wd hitch with built in sway control (ie Equil-i-zer, reese dual cam etc) will work just fine.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, definitely get a good weight distribution unit that has built in sway control. I would think that your Tundra should be able to handle this pretty good. Keep in mind that a 7500 lb trailer will have a tongue weight of up to around 900 lbs. Your Cap is probably a hundred pounds or so. 600 lbs left can be taken up pretty quickly with your weight along with all your passengers, tools, equipment, etc that also will go into the truck and counted against the payload capacity.

I would make sure you have LT tires, preferably E rated. 5.8L?? I thought the Tundra had a 5.7L... anyway, you will have sufficient power..you just need to be aware of the payload and DEFINITELY get a WD w/sway. Equalizer...Dual Cam... and if you really want to get the best that will totally eliminate any possibility of sway, get a Pro Pride or Hensley Arrow.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....