cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Attitude Trailer Leaning

bp122084
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up this 2018 Attitude 28IBG model few weeks back. We took it out last weekend, and I was surprised how unpleasant the towing was. I had a quite a bit of sway and felt the trailer was pulling to the sides the entire trip.

After I got home and unloaded the trailer I notice the trailer sits pretty unlevel side-to-side. The left side does have a slide and side kitchen, but I was surprised that you can actually see it leaning.

When I load it, I place my 1800 lb rzr on the right side of the trailer, so I would think it would even it out a bit; however, is this lean while the trailer is empty normal? Or should I be concerned something isn't right with it?

2018 Attitude 28IBG
2017 GMC 2500 Denali
2017 Polaris RZR XP 4 Turbo
2009 Yamaha YFZ450R Red/White
18 REPLIES 18

dedmiston
Add some new graphics to make it look straight.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to hear an update from the OP to see if any problems were found.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
You said - (unpleasant towing) did you back your toy in so the engine weight is over the axles. Do you have a sway control or weight distribution bars?
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure none of the shackles "flipped". It happens during jacking usually but I've heard of it happening from potholes too
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Man that's F'd up as stated above take it back to the dealer. I wonder if one shackle is shorter on one side?
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
I don't know why you guys are talking about doing alignments, truck shops etc.
It is brand new.
I wouldn't spend a dime of my own money doing repairs.

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to call you when it is fixed.
Simple as that.

indeed
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why you guys are talking about doing alignments, truck shops etc.
It is brand new.
I wouldn't spend a dime of my own money doing repairs.

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to call you when it is fixed.
Simple as that.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at how the axels are mounted. Are they straight? Also compare spring packs, same amount of leafs, same thickness? Spring mounts the same? Take it back to the dealer, or call the manufacturer, and get permission to take it to a reputable frame shop, like one that works on trucks, they are equipped to do axle alignments.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
You may have multiple issues. The lean may be as mentioned above, but the sway could be a product of having a tail heavy trailer. You need to take the trailer with the normal load and have it weighed, both total weight and tongue weight.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

bp122084
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guys, I need to update my signature, as it's about 4 years too old. 🙂 I no longer have the tundra.

When I picked up new trailer I had a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 8 Speed. Towing it home that day from the dealership I instantly knew I needed to get a diesel (kinda planned that out though, but don't tell the wife - haha). I then picked up a 2017 GMC 2500 Denali Diesel, and towed the trailer with that last weekend. Even with the diesel, I still felt the trailer pulling the back of the truck around quite a bit. I originally thought it was just the 1500 truck I had, but now two separate trucks and still feel the swaying.

I looked under the trailer for a bit today and didn't see anything broken or unusual, but I will look harder tomorrow at the springs.
2018 Attitude 28IBG
2017 GMC 2500 Denali
2017 Polaris RZR XP 4 Turbo
2009 Yamaha YFZ450R Red/White

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Had a shock break on my Sundance and it looked just like that. Also check tire wear as that would be a tail tail sign of broken spring shackle or shock.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I would so agree with something seriously wrong. I do also think it's a lot for that Tundra to haul. What's the tongue weight with the 1800 pound beast in the back? 3/4 ton or even 1 ton makes a huge difference.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
A broken spring would not surprise me. In 2011, I broke a spring in south Texas (thought it was strange that I needed leveling boards when the campsite looked perfectly level) but pulled the fiver 1000 miles to home without realizing anything was wrong. Only after I got home did I notice that there was one broken spring.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Something definitely doesn't look right with the trailer but I think your tow vehicle is part of the towing problem. I loved my Tundra and I will stand up against any of the haters on here, but frankly that is way too much trailer for a stock Tundra. Even more so for one with a 6" lift and big tires.

The dry weight of that tt, at nearly 8k, is about as much as a stock Tundra can handle comfortably. Forget about the fictionary tow rating. The dry tongue weight of 1060lbs exceeds the receiver rating before you even load it. Unfortunately, I see a new truck in your future.

I towed our current trailer at 7600lbs loaded with our '07 crewmax. It pulled fine but we were overloaded even though nowhere near the tow rating. I wouldn't want to go any heavier. You are WAY heavier.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley