cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Potential Snowbirds - LOTS of questions!

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. We're Canadians who have never been to Florida but are seriously contemplating spending next winter down there - Dec to Mar. We spent 2 months travelling in a Class B in 2015 but now have a TT - Hideout 25RKS. I think we could do the 4 months in it as far as size goes, although through the winter we'll be mostly stationary while in the Class B we were travelling and changing locations almost daily.

Our TT has a "Cold Weather Package". I'm not sure what that entails. I know it has ducting to take heat from the furnace to keep the tanks from freezing, at least in moderate cold. I don't know if it has extra insulation. I do know the windows are single pane. So I suspect while travelling down in Dec we'll have to leave the plumbing winterized till we get far enough south. I know at times they get cold snaps in FLorida. I assume there are many that have similarly-weather-capable rigs as ours that survive them???

We know people that head south in the winter but they all either own/rent trailers in mobile home parks or stay in other rental accommodation. Most people from this area head to the Tampa/Zephyrhills area. So we're aiming at that area as well.

We have been Googling campgrounds in that general area and are really blinded from seeing the forest for the trees. A lot of "campgrounds" seem to be more full-time units with row upon row of permanent setups. Others seem to cater to 1/2Mil$ rigs. We'd like to find somewhere where we wouldn't feel out-of-place with our unit - with other TT or 5W similar to ours. We don't need luxury - ie we don't need a golf course but would like a pool and the ability to keep active outside. We want to feel secure. Costs seem to range from $300-$1500US/Mo for a pad to put our trailer on. There must be BIG differences in what you get for your money.

So we're looking to you experts for advice:

1) Do many others with TT head south or are rigs our size a rarety? Are there considerations we may not have contemplated in staying months in a home this size? Are we nuts?

2) How do we find a campground that meets our needs? Find one that caters to setups like ours? What price range per month should we expect? Some have electricity included in the rate; others have added costs for stays longer than a month. How much would monthly electricity cost be on average?

3) Should we book one place for 4 months and take day trips from there or should we move around - a month at a time in different locations? If the latter, would we have trouble if we book the first month from here and then wait until we're down there to decide where we want to go next? Would we have problems finding a place to stay on short notice like that?

4) Are there any specific campgrounds you could recommend, considering the above info?

5) Is it necessary to book in advance or are there always sites available? If we have to book in advance, how far ahead should we do it?

6) When travelling down and back, do you recommend booking camgrounds along the route or would there be little trouble finding some with available sites?

7) Finally, for Canadians, what is the best option to obtain cell and Internet service? Purchase a disposable pay-as-you-go phone at Walmart?

Sorry for the long post. As you can see, we need LOTS of advice.

Keith & Linda
30 REPLIES 30

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
KrowNB wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

So where are you going?

We booked a campground in Zephyrhills. Thanks.

Ybor City - Cuban cigars and Cuban sammiches. Oh wait, you're Canadian. Cuban cigars isn't a big deal for you.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

So where are you going?

We booked a campground in Zephyrhills. Thanks.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
KrowNB wrote:
Thanks again for the continuing suggestions. We have already booked for 2017/18 but are open to other options for the next season.

So where are you going?
Jerry & Jeanne

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the continuing suggestions. We have already booked for 2017/18 but are open to other options for the next season.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Correct URL for The Outpost Resort
Jerry & Jeanne

justpassinthru1
Explorer
Explorer
Check out www.theoutpostrvresort.com. We stay there fron November to may. Cant beat the rates and gorgeous resort

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
KrowNB wrote:
Hi. We're Canadians who have never been to Florida but are seriously contemplating spending next winter down there - Dec to Mar.

You may want to consider south Texas. Snowbirds in Florida are tolerated. In the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, they are welcomed. You can also go to Mexico to stock up on Meds, with no Prescription required. We stay at the Mission Bell RV Park in Mission, TX. We love it there! Look here. http://www.missionbellrvresort.com/
God Bless!

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
KrowNB wrote:
pawatt wrote:
Also consider the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, Lots of Canadians here and way cheaper than Florida. You will fit in Here.

Thank you, Pawatt. We're going to try Florida next winter but have already discussed Tx/Az as a possibility in the future. I know that seems the preferred destination for western Canadians and even some from the east. We're in New Brunswick, quite a jaunt to the southwest US but might well be worth the trip. What particular areas do you suggest in that area?

Areas, South Padre Island, Brownsville, Harlingen, Donna, or Mission area. Nearly 500 parks in the 80 mile stretch between Brownsville and Mission. Reservations not needed at most so just find a spot for a week and visit many until you find one you like. Price range less than $200. a month up to about $800. a month.
pawatt

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
KrowNB wrote:
I'd like to visit Pidgeon Forge, Smokey Mtns, etc. Would it be better to do that late Nov or early April?

Boy, you got me on that one. Thinking you'll need to post in the roads forum, and get some local wisdom. Snow and slippery roads is going to be your issue in the Smokey's.

If you're only taking a week or two to head south my gut is telling me that Nov would be the best. On the other hand, in April you'll know what you're driving into and can plan accordingly. No surprises.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
Also consider the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, Lots of Canadians here and way cheaper than Florida. You will fit in Here.

Thank you, Pawatt. We're going to try Florida next winter but have already discussed Tx/Az as a possibility in the future. I know that seems the preferred destination for western Canadians and even some from the east. We're in New Brunswick, quite a jaunt to the southwest US but might well be worth the trip. What particular areas do you suggest in that area?

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:

That should be a good area for your first winter.... try not to race down and back...

I think we may be able to leave anytime after Nov 15th. We're reserved Dec 1 - Mar 31. We don't have to be there right on Dec 1 nor do we have to stay until Mar 31. We'll be watching the weather each way and will adjust as needed. We'll take about a week or more one way and maybe two the other. I'd like to visit Pidgeon Forge, Smokey Mtns, etc. Would it be better to do that late Nov or early April?

K

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
KrowNB wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice. We've done a LOT of surfing this past week and finally settled on a CG in Zephyrhills. Reservations made! Keith

That should be a good area for your first winter. Do expect LOTS of people compared to other snowbird states. Good part of that is you'll have everything close by that you need to live.

Everyone is different, but do try not to race down and back. Half the fun is the road, and not the destination. Since you have a RV you'll have the luxury of stopping along the way and enjoying an area and the people for a few days before going forward. That's a big plus that is given up when you're hoteling.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moving to the Snowbird Forum for more input.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP