cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on a Jeep Wrangler toad (2010 JKUR) Key on/off?

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
We left Friday morning from SW Fla enroute home to S. Jersey. Later in the early afternoon a Ford pickup towing a camper pulled next to us on 95 N and said our red cable was dragging. Luckily I was a mile and a half from a rest stop so we pulled in, sure enough our power cord that charges the battery as we're driving had dragged for a bit and was destroyed. I unhooked it, started the Jeep and let it sit while we had lunch. After placed the key in the "acc." position and continued on until 5 and pulled into a CG. Started the jeep up again, shut it down and and grabbed some sleep. The next morning I plugged in our "Brake Buddy" system preped it for the drive that day, put the key in the "acc." position and left at 0700. Fast forward to 2/p and the sensor that plugs into the cigarette lighter begins to flash red, then stays glowing red, indicating something is wrong with the "Brake Buddy". Pull off in VA and sure enough the battery is completely dead. Take the power cord out of the cigarette lighter in the Jeep and finish our trip that day (Saturday) and arrive home yesterday with no supplemental braking system or blinker/stop lights on the Jeep. My question is does the key have to be in the acc. position, or can it be off. I noticed that when the transfer case is in "N" and the transmission is in "P" that I can move the steering wheel with no lock, however the Jeep manual clearly states the key must be in the acc mode while flat towing. I read in here somewhere that it's not necessary to have the key in acc position and that it's ok to have it off. Which is it? The reason I ask now is my battery in the Jeep is trashed and I'm wondering if I just put the ignition in the off position when I lost the cable I might have been able to save the battery.
Sorry for the book.

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
16 REPLIES 16

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
The only caution is the 2008 JK removed the lock halfway through the model year. Some '08s have the lock and some do not. 2009 models and newer do NOT have the lock and the key can be removed.

WW

That's about right, but now hear this....
A friend came over one day with an 07 and upon checking it out, it did not have a steering lock. Still can't figure it and he didn't have a clue, except to insist that it was an 07.
I have no real experience with this, except for that one instance and know that we don't have it with our 2010.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my 2010 Wrangler with the key out and no charge cable for 6 years no problem. Key does not lock steering.
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
The only caution is the 2008 JK removed the lock halfway through the model year. Some '08s have the lock and some do not. 2009 models and newer do NOT have the lock and the key can be removed.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Learning is fun!

Absolutely!

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to those responding here.

Been towing my 2014 Wrangler JK (flat tow, four down) all winter, and frankly there have been a few times with dead battery, as I've been leaving the switch on to unlock the steering wheel.

Gosh, glad to know I didn't need to do that. Learning is fun!
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Winnipeg wrote:
1)
One caution about locking the doors. Don't use the key fob if you have an alarm. Nothing like driving down the highway and hearing a faint car alarm going off (did that). We laugh that the Wrangler was telling everyone that it is being kidnapped.
hahahaha! I did not know that, did not think of it, and havent towed ours yet. Thank you for the tip!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Winnipeg
Explorer
Explorer
1) You are correct that the manual is confusing and not entirely accurate. They had steering locks until about 2008 (or so). They did not revise the manual to reflect the change. Additional confusion added due to a limitation that you cannot tow (via tow-truck) a Wrangler with only two wheels on the ground. Personally, I think this is false, but no big deal getting a flat bed tow-truck for times when Chrysler's quality problems sneak up on you.

2) The 2010 has two 12v power ports (cigarette lighters) on the dash. One is switched, the other is always on. Use the always-on one for your brake buddy.

3) Trust the advise of people who have experience with the same vehicle, and there are many. Wranglers are one of the most popular toads for good reason. With mine (2010 Wrangler), I made zero modifications other than installing the wiring harness and hitch. I put the transfer case in N, transmission in P, key off and into my pocket and lock the doors. EASY.

One caution about locking the doors. Don't use the key fob if you have an alarm. Nothing like driving down the highway and hearing a faint car alarm going off (did that). We laugh that the Wrangler was telling everyone that it is being kidnapped.

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
RJL wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. The owners manual is confusing, key in acc, negative battery cable off, but the Brake Buddy needs power to brake assist and I'm assuming the Jeep needs power for the turn signals, which is supplied by the cord that got mangled on our trip north. Sooooo, I guess, after thinking about this and the messages here I need the key on as long as I'm using the BB and actually want some blinkers and brake lights.

Thanks again all,

Bob

Wranglers haven't had a steering wheel lock since 2008.
You should have an always hot 12V receptacle in the center console. Agree. I have towed a 2014 the same way for 3 years.
Once connected to your coach the towed lights do not require any power from the Jeep.
So bottom line, after you're all hooked up and read to tow, turn the ignition to the OFF position, remove the key and put it in your pocket. I towed a 2011 Wranger for three years in this manner.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
RJL wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. The owners manual is confusing, key in acc, negative battery cable off, but the Brake Buddy needs power to brake assist and I'm assuming the Jeep needs power for the turn signals, which is supplied by the cord that got mangled on our trip north. Sooooo, I guess, after thinking about this and the messages here I need the key on as long as I'm using the BB and actually want some blinkers and brake lights.

Thanks again all,

Bob

Wranglers haven't had a steering wheel lock since 2008.
You should have an always hot 12V receptacle in the center console.
Once connected to your coach the towed lights do not require any power from the Jeep.
So bottom line, after you're all hooked up and read to tow, turn the ignition to the OFF position, remove the key and put it in your pocket. I towed a 2011 Wranger for three years in this manner.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

RJL
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks again all,

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RJL wrote:
We left Friday morning from SW Fla enroute home to S. Jersey. Later in the early afternoon a Ford pickup towing a camper pulled next to us on 95 N and said our red cable was dragging. Luckily I was a mile and a half from a rest stop so we pulled in, sure enough our power cord that charges the battery as we're driving had dragged for a bit and was destroyed. I unhooked it, started the Jeep and let it sit while we had lunch. After placed the key in the "acc." position and continued on until 5 and pulled into a CG. Started the jeep up again, shut it down and and grabbed some sleep. The next morning I plugged in our "Brake Buddy" system preped it for the drive that day, put the key in the "acc." position and left at 0700. Fast forward to 2/p and the sensor that plugs into the cigarette lighter begins to flash red, then stays glowing red, indicating something is wrong with the "Brake Buddy". Pull off in VA and sure enough the battery is completely dead. Take the power cord out of the cigarette lighter in the Jeep and finish our trip that day (Saturday) and arrive home yesterday with no supplemental braking system or blinker/stop lights on the Jeep. My question is does the key have to be in the acc. position, or can it be off. I noticed that when the transfer case is in "N" and the transmission is in "P" that I can move the steering wheel with no lock, however the Jeep manual clearly states the key must be in the acc mode while flat towing. I read in here somewhere that it's not necessary to have the key in acc position and that it's ok to have it off. Which is it? The reason I ask now is my battery in the Jeep is trashed and I'm wondering if I just put the ignition in the off position when I lost the cable I might have been able to save the battery.
Sorry for the book.

Bob

As long as you don't need ACC for 12vdc power, you're good to go, as the 2010 Wranglers do not have a steering lock.
As for toad braking, I'd trash the brake buddy and go with a READYBRAKE for trouble free simplicity. Just IMHO of course.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
This statement under "Disabled Towing" for the Wrangler throws folks off, including myself:

Without The Ignition Key
Special care must be taken when the vehicle is towed
with the ignition in the OFF position. The only approved
method of towing without the key fob is with a flatbed
truck. Proper towing equipment is necessary to prevent
damage to the vehicle.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
The answer here is really easy! After you remove the key is the steering column locked? It's easy to test just turn the steering wheel 180 degrees and if it can be returned to center you don't. In this case just remove your key and get on with towing...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad