Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SuperNova and alternatives for less than 100k

GR8DANE
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for feedback from you existing Super C owners. We're considering used Gulfstream Supernova 6400 Grand Hotel in the $80k-$90k. Here is our situation:

I'm selling our 35' toy hauler and moving to a Super C with a 24' enclosed race trailer. I already have the trailer, but now looking to get the coach. We are a family of 4 with kids 17 & 15. We're looking to do a few big cross country trips over the next 18 months and want to try out the motorhome experience. This may only last a few years since we love the toy hauler setup as well. I need a longer toy hauler garage, so I want to try this setup for a while and see what happens. Worse case I'll sell the setup in a few years and get a bigger toy hauler.

Here are my requirements:

1. Chassis: Freightliner. Newer Seneca, Gulfstream Supernova, Haulmark, Showhauler, Nexus, etc.

2. Price: Less than 100k. This puts me in an old Renegade, (or equivalent), but I can't find one in a configuration I like. Oldest Seneca's on the new chassis are still well over $100k. Gulfstream seemed to adopt the chassis early and their 2008 model years are now $80k-$90k.

3. Configuration: U-shaped dinette and bunk beds in hallway. This is a real deal breaker for the DW. We often have a lot of guests staying with us once we get there. Our current TH has a u-shaped dinette that we can seat 8 around the outside. Only the Gulfstream Supernova seems to have a similar configuration. Not sure how people play games or eat group meals around a little 4 seat dinette, but it's a must for us. Bunks in the hallway are important to us so we don't have to make beds in order to use the main living area when staying for multiple weeks at a time with just the 4 of us.

4. Hauling: 8k-10k. Hitch capacity seems to be easy to find, but torque and HP are tough. The Supernova has the old 6.0 motor. I can get a programmer and add cooling to get it to do what I need, but I'd rather have a Cummins and bigger tranny living here in Utah. I know I'll gripe about the low torque in the Supernova, but hoping that riding in comfort at 65mph is enough to help me relax and now worry about flying up the canyon. I know we'll need to run light until we get close to our destination to stay close on my GV numbers. Cross country trips will be without a trailer. The trailer is more for in-state racing events.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this model or an alternative? I know the ride is a common complaint on the 6400 model, so I'll either need to get one with the air ride/shock upgrade mods done or expect to need to do it myself if it becomes a problem.

Thanks!
IN THE MARKET FOR A NEW TOY HAULER
2011 Ford F350 CC/SB
Way too many dirt bikes
SOLD: 2011 Gulf Stream Enduramax 3310END
SOLD: 2008 Gulf Stream Conquest Super Nova 6400 Grand Hotel
SOLD: 2005 Weekend Warrior FK21
10 REPLIES 10

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner is certainly a great chassis. I think it really comes down to what works for you, both from a budget standpoint and reliability. Choose a chassis and manufacturer that meets your needs and pricepoint then go for it. We have been very happy with our choice.
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
Well guys, here is my input on the Maxx Force 7 Navistar V-8 Diesel engine. I have a customer that rents out 500 school buses and their head of Maintenance, Adam told me to avoid the MaxxForce engine and slowly but surely, they are replacing their International school buses with one built on the Freightliner chassis. Also, we occasionally rent 26,000# Straight Trucks w/26' Van body and Penske is also replacing their Navistar/International straight trucks with Freightliner 26,000# trucks. And a good friends of mine here on RV.NET who is in the Fire Dept. business, told me that the Fire Depts. are having issues with the MaxxForce engines, and a supplier of ours that deliver product to us, well the drivers do NOT like their Navistar/International trucks with the MaxxForce 7 engine. One weekend I had to personally make a large delivery to my biggest customer and Penske gave me a Freightliner straight truck and I absolutely loved driving it! Now if Navistar has fixed the issues with the MaxxForce engine, then perhaps the Nexus RV Phantom Super C is a good fit for you. But that set up has 19.5" wheels, NOT 22.5" rims. Just saying, Bagmsn.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

Charles_Myatt
Explorer
Explorer
I am still open. Notice a lot Int. school buses and medium delivery trucks that used to be mostly freightliner. Keeping an open mind at this point. Awful nice Class A rigs in the same price range too. Need good lottery numbers.

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I had read those articles before I bought our Nexus. The newer International models seem to have resolved that issue. We have been very pleased with our Nexus coach.
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC

Charles_Myatt
Explorer
Explorer
I Googled Maxforce V8 and ran across a piece on 2008 to 2013 engines. Beware of future problems using old technology to avoid DEF by International. I believe it mentioned trying to still use EGR vs. DEF or something along that line. This would explain a lot of Supernova's For Sale.

To bad they didn't use Freightliner. Buyer beware. I am still looking though.

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
I think, Haulmark, Showhauler, & IWS (Renegade) are pretty much a step up over the other Super C's. Not knocking the Super C's by Jayco, Dynamax, Thor, or any other RV manufacturer, but the Classic IWS has a 24 R rating for the sides, roof, & floor. With that type of insulation, you'll stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer! Traditionally one gets what you pay for. I have two customers that have custom class A buses built on the Prevost chassis amd I talking 1.6 - 2 million dollar coaches and trust me, these motor homes are 1st. class all the way! Bags.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
Cool beans cant wait to see pics of the new to you rig. I really liked these when they came out and was looking at them. We ended up going with a Nexus, which is built by the same guys who left Gulfstream. It too is a little noisy in the cab area doesn't really bother me. We love the coach. We tow a 28ft enclosed trailer with ours and it tows great.Good luck to yall.
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Good Luck. Unfortunately I find this forum is terrible for being able to search old posts.I remember several posts that owners discussed mods like extra noise insulation, ride and other issues which may be of interest to you.
Maybe someone with better computer skills than me can find them. ๐Ÿ™‚

GR8DANE
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
There were lots of complaints about them back in the day. Noise,power,quality,ride and others. A guy I know wound up with one. Lots of issues. I would look at anything else.

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately or not, I just picked one up last weekend and drove it home. I think this one is solid and has a good maintenance history. Like you mentioned, there are several known issues with this particular model. At least I know what I'm getting into to a certain extent. So far so good though and we're looking forward to our first trip out. I'll get a post up on the forum to show-off the new rig.
IN THE MARKET FOR A NEW TOY HAULER
2011 Ford F350 CC/SB
Way too many dirt bikes
SOLD: 2011 Gulf Stream Enduramax 3310END
SOLD: 2008 Gulf Stream Conquest Super Nova 6400 Grand Hotel
SOLD: 2005 Weekend Warrior FK21

az99
Explorer
Explorer
There were lots of complaints about them back in the day. Noise,power,quality,ride and others. A guy I know wound up with one. Lots of issues. I would look at anything else.