cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking at Grand Grand Canyon - Suggestions please

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - My wife and I have been married 30 years in October, and will be celebrating by taking our small older 5th wheel from Michigan to the Grand Canyon, where neither of us has ever been. Thank to much help from this forum we now have 330 watts of solar, so en route we plan to overnight at Walmart, Flying J, etc, then boondock near the Grand Canyon. Looking for ideas on places to boondock that are near your favorite points at the GC. I DO anticipate needing at least a couple of nights at an actual campground for dumping as well as refilling fresh water tanks. We plan to take about 4 days/nights to traveling at each end, and spend about 6 days in the area. Only have 2 weeks vacation. Any help/suggestions for anything about this trip will be greatly appreciated.
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
38 REPLIES 38

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Snowman9000 wrote:
PUCampin wrote:
This is great information because I am strongly considering boondocking here this summer. My Expedition and trailer exceed the 30ft total limit for Mather and getting into Trailer village is difficult or impossible during the summer.

My question, for anyone that may have done it, can you leave the trailer at your chosen site off FR 302 and just drive the TV in? Or do you need to take the whole thing with you?

Thanks!

I would always worry, but people do it. I was told FR 328 has more campers, which might feel more secure.

We left ours every day for a week. There were about three additional rvers around us. We approached all of them the first day on a walk to introduce ourselves and ask them about security. We all had an agreement to keep an eye on each others rigs.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
PUCampin wrote:
This is great information because I am strongly considering boondocking here this summer. My Expedition and trailer exceed the 30ft total limit for Mather and getting into Trailer village is difficult or impossible during the summer.

My question, for anyone that may have done it, can you leave the trailer at your chosen site off FR 302 and just drive the TV in? Or do you need to take the whole thing with you?

Thanks!

I would always worry, but people do it. I was told FR 328 has more campers, which might feel more secure.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Cool pics. What a great place to stay while visiting the canyon.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Ten years ago we stayed at the north rim the first few days of October. They closed the day after we left. Make sure that you are not planning on staying too late if going to the north rim.
And we loved it. Hiked to the bottom but we were young then, just seventy.
Hiking up was the hardest part.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We got up at sunrise, got ready, and in the park at 6:15 or so. Had our choice of RV parking spots in Lot 1 by the Visitor Center. Took a few pics at the nearby overlook. Ate breakfast, walk to Bike Rental/Cafe for coffee to go. Even at 7:40, the RV spots are 80-90% open. When they fill up, you have to go to Lot D, which is down on one end of the Village complex.

This is the hub. All the shuttles run from here, plus you can bike or walk all over.

Tonight we will again camp in the NF spot. It's super close to the NP entrance. Maybe 5 minutes. Hope this info helps others.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go. I only have this one from last evening. Well, two, I will include the sunset. GPS 35.96733,-112.108658
During daylight hours, it is right under the tour helicopters' flight path. Like, one flying right overhead every minute. Really.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Post some pics of your campsite!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We made it to the east end of the park today. The CG there is first come first served, but at 12:30 it was full. Host said if you are there from 8-10 AM, you are almost guaranteed of getting a site. Ten X opens this coming weekend. We are on FR 302. Have 4G and can't beat the price. Rangers station has a map showing the various roads with sites.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
We very much enjoyed Ten X USFS campground. You may have a slight problem locating a site that will provide full sun for solar. As I recall, there is a lot of shade in this CG. We hauled a Honda Eu2000i which was almost undetectable when run in the bed of the pickup. You will not want to run a loud generator in this park.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
avan wrote:
My favorite GC location is the North Rim and I boondock in the Kaibab Natl Forest on the Kaibab Plateau south of Jacobs Lake. Lots of room and myriads of roads and trails to spectacular isolated overlooks.

I am one of those who prefer the North Rim. We found plenty of viewpoints easily accessible with short walks (not hikes.)

One thing I would suggest you think about: our overnight stops are, for us, important parts of the trip. If you can find Forest Service campgrounds, state parks, or even commercial parks where you can "boondock" it would be worth it. WalMart or Flying J would be our last choice. Those are memories that would not add to quality of our trip.

Of course, we all have different preferences and priorities, but over the last twenty years of our fifth-wheel traveling (we are NOT full-timers) over 160,000 miles, the stops along the way are an important part of the pleasure. Just one old fellow's point of view.

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few possibilities on the North Rim for boondocking:

Saddle Mountain Overlook - at the end of FSR 610
Crazy Jug Point - FSR 292
Fire Point - walk-in tent sites at the end of FSR 233
Indian Hollow

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The shuttle stops in Tusayan near 302. One thing though... the shuttle doesn't go as far as Desert View - the east end - and it's an interesting area. If you want to tour it then drive.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/tusayan-route-starts-march-1-2017.htm

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/shuttle-buses.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel