cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front End Alignment Phoenix Area

Willow13
Explorer
Explorer
Went to a local Ford dealer with a fleet division for an oil change before the season starts. Inevitably they found additional concerns for them to address. A leaking seal and front end alignment. Said there was slight wear on the inside of the front tires. Got under the truck and checked the seal - no signs of apparent leaking. Looking to get a second opinion on the alignment. Any recommendations in the Phoenix area? Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of STEERING, How's it driving? Do you see a change? Is there a Before and After Alignment Report we can look at?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Willow13
Explorer
Explorer
Now, we make three votes for Straight Line! We were very pleased with the service and felt they were fair with the cost. They will be our go to place. Thanks for steering us in their direction - sincerely appreciated!

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Straight Line. I took our Class C there right after we bought it. Those guys are very knowledgeable. They did a perfect job on the alignment. Made a huge difference in the way it drives.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
If the truth be known, in the beginning it was j-d who suggested that I take a wire brush to the top of my upper ball joints .... and that is what got the ball rolling.

Thankfully we still have the RV.NET link available to the blow by blow...

In the beginning.....

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
To an extent, we re-invented the Wheel here. An excellent researcher called Harvard, found out about adjustable bushings, and came up with the Additional Caster setting. I believe he said the default is 3* and max is 7*, of Positive Caster, and recommended at least 5*. When I went to John Henderson, here's what he gave me:

LEFT: Caster +5* Camber +1/4*
RIGHT: Caster *5.5* Camber 0*+
TOE: Just slightly Positive (Slightly Toed IN). Certainly NOT Negative (Toed Out)

Ingalls part is 54900, Specialty is 24180. For adjustables, and there are others. IF IF IF a shop can install Fixed Bushings that provide the numbers above, that's great. Possibly better, since Fixed have a "Key" that keeps them from being able to turn. They also can't come out, even if not torqued tight. As long as the Pinch Bolt is present (nut not lost) the Bolt keeps a Fixed Bushing in place. This is why the manufacturers and some shops don't want Adjustables in RV's and Box Trucks. ME? I'll stick with Henderson and OP's here saying they'll stay if properly installed.

I know a lot because I'm kinda mechanically inclined, very curious, and had a lot of bad luck causing me to remember fixes. But most important is this:

I've received HELP on these forums that is valuable beyond anything I could ever pay for or re-pay. So I give back what I can...

Willow13
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both for your responses! j-d impressed with your knowledge - wow! I have an appointment with Straight Line next week - will let you know how it goes...

mmccwill
Explorer
Explorer
Try Straight Line in Mesa -- Bill Willard

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar question from an OP in Tucson. He went to Purcell Tire and Auto Service and was pleased. gOOgle tells me Purcell has a location in Phoenix. I have no equity in this, just passing on the information from another thread.

If you have a Ford, and they do an alignment, don't let them set CASTER to the default mid range of about 3 degrees! An RV will track much better if you can get at least 5 degrees on the left. This should be 5.5 degrees on the right. They spec right at 0.5 degrees more than left.

There are "offset" bushings that adjust the upper ball joints for changes in caster and camber. There are also adjustable versions from suppliers like Ingalls. Their part number is 594. The listing doesn't include E450 but it fits. Catalogs say Not For RV's and Box Trucks, thinking the bushings won't stay in place. I've visited Hendersons Line Up in Grants Pass Oregon, a leader in RV alignment, and they install adjustables all the time. John Henderson told me if the assembly is clean and the bolt is torqued to the spec furnished, adjustables will stay put.